Strange Investment

Berahino’s release has surprised me. He was heavily criticised in that first half of the season but he turned it around in the second half of the season and I believe he would’ve been a force for us next season. He may still be but sadly elsewhere.

Let’s be honest he didn’t do enough throughout the season to warrant a new contract. 

We’ve got Gregory and Windass as experienced strikers and also Patterson. 

We’ve got to start trying to add some younger players to the group. 

8 hours ago, GermanBird said:

One of our problems this season was the inconsistancy of some players. 

Berahino was great in some games and invisible in others. 

I still believe it was worth the gamble

It was worth the gamble. I'm in 2 minds about renewing his contract, we probably thought we could get better value for the wages elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 of the reasons he has left is wages he may have even wanted an increase.  d moore next season will probably have a slightly lower wage bill budget but still top 3/4 ,no idea why some supporters think that we will be splashing out transfer fees in league 1 

Guest Musttryharder
6 hours ago, Blatter said:

It’s the second time a manager has unexpectedly released Hutch. He was also made to train with the kids for a while. I can’t help the feeling that much as we supporters love the man he has a habit of upsetting his managers. Can it just be coincidence?

Just the managers. I think there's quite a bit of history there. 

5 minutes ago, Musttryharder said:

Just the managers. I think there's quite a bit of history there. 

Reckon Dm might not want a strong voice in the dressing room...I know they had serious words after the Wimbledon debacle...reckon this could be a personal decision and not a footballing one..which I find quite sad tbh 

• Like 1

For as good as he was at times, he wasn't the answer.

Been there, done it, like most of the squad. 

No year on year improvement here.

We didn't manage to get 40 games in the legs of Aderinan/Dele Bashiru/Iorfa. I doubt any of the loan players will be back. We need youth down each flank and we've got Johnson and Hunt for another year it seems.

I'll check the squad in August and see if it's worth my investment. 

Guest Musttryharder
17 minutes ago, The coach said:

Reckon Dm might not want a strong voice in the dressing room...I know they had serious words after the Wimbledon debacle...reckon this could be a personal decision and not a footballing one..which I find quite sad tbh 

It is, but I think this happened with other managers as well. I was very surprised they signed him after his stint in Cyprus. 

7 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 games never got a run of games in the team. Given chance to develop a partnership who offer us way more up front than NML or Paterson.

i can just see him going elsewhere and doing really well, we got him fit and playing again. I wouldn't be surprise if he rocks up at West Brom with Steve Bruce next season, and scores the goals to help them top 6.

but if we have a decent replacement lined up so be it, but i suspect it will be premiership loan and hope, rather than goal scorer from league 1 or 2.

Guest Musttryharder
1 hour ago, morganowl said:

1 of the reasons he has left is wages he may have even wanted an increase.  d moore next season will probably have a slightly lower wage bill budget but still top 3/4 ,no idea why some supporters think that we will be splashing out transfer fees in league 1 

He won't, not this year. DC was banking on promotion and its gone ******** up. Get ready for some very average signings. A lot of folk think we are possibly going to get automatic promotion next year. Let's see. Do you think DC would have given BB the length of contract with his reported 27k a week if we weren't going to get promotion. Leave that for others to work out. 

He was worth taking the gamble on given the situation last August.

I think the hope will be we can maybe find someone a bit more consistent, who won't need half the season to adjust to League One. He had flashes and I wouldn't have been totally against another year with him but maybe we feel looking elsewhere will be more cost effective. There were too many games he didn't effect, he's not got that goal scoring instinct of a Gregory.

It's a shame as I liked the idea of Moore turning his career around and to a point he has. I wish him well.

One of the things that probably goes against berahino is potentially his wages whilst I don’t claim to know what he’s on. I’d imagine his contract would be within one of the top earners or would he if we took the option to renew and I’d of thought when looking at renewing his contract / extending it the decision might have been swayed that we could have put those funds to better use 

maybe getting two players for what he’s on is a better option or getting a much better player contributing more to what he’s on.

Not suggestion this is the case but it certainly would make more sense than us just releasing somebody who was starting to add value 

Berahino showed some glimses of what he could do but it was not enough off the ball or scoring consistantly enough, when you compare him to the likes of Gregory you would put Gregory ahead of him every time...    I think its good that we are brave enough to get rid of mediocre inconsistant players...  We are in League one looking to get back into the Championship, we have some money to spend this year, fee's in league one are so much lower than in the championship, Alfie May for example Cheltenham are looking for a 6 figure sum, I mean if we could get him for like £300k I think he would do so much better, or Cole Stockton whos contract runs out this summer and wants to leave...  

I think there are better players out there on a free transfer, we made so many chances last year but scored not enough, we don't want to go into next season with the same strike force...