Strange Investment

I think Moore took him on because of his past history where he had done well for Moore.

He did improve as the season went on, as did the whole team but I think Moore was not that convinced as he tried to shoe horn NML in as a striker.

Probably seen enough to realise he is not what we need at the moment.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, behindthegoal said:

I am not a big fan of Berahino but I think there was a case for retaining him. We invested in his fitness and it is fair to say that it took several months before he was anywhere match fit. Yet even despite this he had a decent goal to minute ratio as well as a high shot accuracy.  It seems we have got him fit only for another club to take full advantage of this.  Seems a strange investment to me.

Isn’t that just what we do and have done for 25 years or more, we are such a poorly run club it hurts.

Just now, Animis said:

Good poacher, but didn't do enough in games IMO - I think there's better in his position.

Not specifically aiming this at you, as many have used a similar phrase in the two Berahino threads.

Since he came into the side in Feb he’s scored every 90 minutes. Do you think we’ll find better than that?

• Like 1

He looked like he was getting back to something like his potential for a while, but didn't quite make it on a consistent basis.

Overall, I think it was the right thing to let him go as we need to look for better, though I can see him going somewhere else and being a success. A year in Scotland might be good for him.

For the amount of chances we created at times any reasonable player would have scored a similar number to Berahino. He did well towards the end but even then he was inconsistent. Someone like ladapo would have scored more . I’d love to go and sign the lad at chezzie up top 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Not specifically aiming this at you, as many have used a similar phrase in the two Berahino threads.

Since he came into the side in Feb he’s scored every 90 minutes. Do you think we’ll find better than that?

Stats like that can be skewed a bit by the amount of football he played and obviously the hat trick against Cambridge.

From memory he only scored two goals away from home all season at Doncaster and MK Dons. And even the goal at MK was thrown into the net for him by the keeper.

I thought he was ok in home games where we were on top and creating chances.

But in the away games he started where we were up against it like Wycombe and Sunderland he didn’t really offer anything and was quite easy to mark 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

TBH - yes, we need a 20+ goal striker, and although the stats could be made to show that playing all the minutes in a season would give him that, I think he doesn't make enough of our creative work through the wing backs and midfield. He always seems static; waiting for someone to put the ball on a plate. 

Surprised we didn’t keep he, definitely showed the potential in the 2nd half of the season to be a 15-20 goal striker in League One.

Imo the games where he looked invisible were the ones where how we were playing  as a team suited the strengths of the oppositions defence. He’s never going to win headers against bigger defenders but we lumped a lot of high balls into him against huge centre backs far too much at times this season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

There's other stats that suggests Kamberi was our most effective striker, that Gregory shouldn't start games and that Brown should. 

I wonder if DM decided that in the bigger games against stronger opposition, especially away, that Berahino didn't offer enough to the team and the ball never stuck. Wycombe and Sunderland away for instance. I know he scored at MK, but it wasnt from open play and as the game progressed we created very little so its not so easy to judge from that game. 

Another thought I've had is that DM may have another go at 4-2-3-1 and I don't see where Berahino fits into that system at all, which if that's the intention and DM has been  open with Saido than maybe the striker decided that a place on the bench in case we need to change the system may not be what he wants for next year. Sunderland went up using that system and showed how effective it can be, it would suit NML far more than Berahino, so it's a possibility that DM is considering it. 

Berahino has been a little unlucky being released, but I tend to think DM will have talked to him and between them the prospects for next year for Saido weren't quite what either wanted 

• Like 4

A lot goes unseen that will be factored into decisions. Attitude and application in training. Ability to do what the manager and coach asks of you on the pitch. Impact in the dressing room. Integration into the squad and contribution to the culture. All this and agent demands for wages and contract length will have led to a decision. 

All the above considered for the Hutch decision too but that is one I feel is stranger than Saido 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was decent in the odd games when we won 4-1, 6-0. But when the tough got going like at Wycombe away and Sunderland away, he was invisible. We need more of a presence in this league against the big defenders. A marquis, a Madine, a stockley, a stockton. Someone tougher to play against and who can rough it with the big centre backs. 

• Like 5