When you thought football wasn't dying

3 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

What worries me about modern football is how poo the bottom end of the Premier League/top of the Championship is.

This season Norwich and Watford only got 45 points between the two of them. But you know they'll be back in two seasons time.

Last year none of the relegated teams got to 30 points. Yet Fulham thrashed the Championship at the first attempt.

Season before Norwich went down on 21 points and again walked the Championship the next season.

The bottom end of the Prem is full of bloody useless, uncompetitive teams but the parachute payments guarantee they'll just be back.

Now don't get me wrong, when we went down in 2000, both us an Wimbledon only just broke 30 points. But the difference is, we never got close to getting back and neither did Wimbledon.

100% Very good post. 

And yet football clubs that have historically been part of a community struggle financially to keep a float 

Whilst fans find it harder to afford to follow their teams the same way they wince did 

is this what we strive for to become the best and the elite 

mind boggles 

On 23/05/2022 at 02:35, owlinexile said:

Who's this 'we'?

Don't think I've watched a European or Premiership fixture since the early '00s.

It's all just noise to tune out, just like all the other 'celeb' poo .

Same here. I watch Wednesday and that's it. Haven't even watched England for similar length of time.

On 23/05/2022 at 14:50, @owlstalk said:

It's hard to criticise the money sloshing around in football when we all pay for Sky Sports

I don't, and never have. TV is the only reason for the explosion in wages. I decided when Sky/PL started I wouldn't participate. But it's a privately funded industry, I only criticise if it's taxpayer funded and we're forced to subsidise it.