When you thought football wasn't dying

My uncle was a very decent goalkeeper in the early 60s. Was offered a contract at Leeds.

But this was back when there was a maximum wage for footballers and he turned it down because he was making more as a trainee mechanic at a coach company.

I get that 60 years is a long time, but the difference between making less than the average wage to thousands of times more than it is am insane rate of inflation.

Granted it's so much money and more than he could ever need or spend, but we'll all still tune in to every premier league season and watch city, united, chelsea and liverpool spunk millions of cash on wages and fees, as we'll all still tune in and watch every champions league season, and we'll all tune in and watch these millionaires play in every euro's and world cup. Yeah the money is crazy in football but there's not much we can do about it and none of us are going to stop watching these millionaires provide entertainment season in and season out. Just enjoy it and try and forget about the fortunes they're earning

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Granted it's so much money and more than he could ever need or spend, but we'll all still tune in to every premier league season and watch city, united, chelsea and liverpool spunk millions of cash on wages and fees, as we'll all still tune in and watch every champions league season, and we'll all tune in and watch these millionaires play in every euro's and world cup. Yeah the money is crazy in football but there's not much we can do about it and none of us are going to stop watching these millionaires provide entertainment season in and season out. Just enjoy it and try and forget about the fortunes they're earning

Who's this 'we'?

Don't think I've watched a European or Premiership fixture since the early '00s.

It's all just noise to tune out, just like all the other 'celeb' poo .

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Who's this 'we'?

Don't think I've watched a European or Premiership fixture since the early '00s.

not watched a champions league or premiership game for 20 years? sorry to hear that

1 hour ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

not watched a champions league or premiership game for 20 years? sorry to hear that

Nah.

Used to watch them back when I was a teenager in the 1990s and there was a bit of an 'event' about watching a British club do well in Europe.

Not sure what I would get out of it these days though. 

12 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Nah.

Used to watch them back when I was a teenager in the 1990s and there was a bit of an 'event' about watching a British club do well in Europe.

Not sure what I would get out of it these days though. 

I used to be exactly the same. I might have watched the odd EPL game here and there, but wasn't an active viewer of that or the UCL in recent years.

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Who's this 'we'?

I think you are in the minority of football fans.

The money paid is crazy but the quality is fabulous.

18 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I agree with Owlinexile. Have not watched top flight football since Wednesday were relegated from it. Don't watch either cup once Wednesday go out, may watch one or two Champions League games per season. In my teens and twenty's I would have watched almost any game on telly.

I still enjoy World Cup or Euros, but not as much as when I was younger.

I think in my case I used to be football fan with Wednesday as my team, now I'm just a Wednesday fan and don't really care about football as a neutral.

UTO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geedee said:

I think the 'quality' of football is pretty incidental to the overall experience of being a football fan tbh.  When you drill down to it the actual football isn't really what being a football fan is about.

If synchronised swimming had been inexplicably popular amongst working class Victorians we would all be off to Ponds Forge every weekend chanting obscenities at the judge instead.

1 hour ago, Forza SPAL said:

I agree with Owlinexile. Have not watched top flight football since Wednesday were relegated from it. Don't watch either cup once Wednesday go out, may watch one or two Champions League games per season. In my teens and twenty's I would have watched almost any game on telly.

I still enjoy World Cup or Euros, but not as much as when I was younger.

I think in my case I used to be football fan with Wednesday as my team, now I'm just a Wednesday fan and don't really care about football as a neutral.

UTO

25 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

I think the 'quality' of football is pretty incidental to the overall experience of being a football fan tbh.  When you drill down to it the actual football isn't really what being a football fan is about.

If synchronised swimming had been inexplicably popular amongst working class Victorians we would all be off to Ponds Forge every weekend chanting obscenities at the judge instead.

I see and  understand your points.

But as the saying goes facts beat stories.

700 million people watched  last years champions leagye final. That obviously is just the final.

Compared to 208 million watched the last super bowl.

Have a look at the viewing figures for the premier league 

https://www.premierleague.com/season-review/the-fans/2164581?articleId=2164581#:~:text=40 per cent of the,of 43 in 2019%2F20.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I see and  understand your points.

But as the saying goes facts beat stories.

700 million people watched  last years champions leagye final. That obviously is just the final.

Compared to 208 million watched the last super bowl.

Have a look at the viewing figures for the premier league 

https://www.premierleague.com/season-review/the-fans/2164581?articleId=2164581#:~:text=40 per cent of the,of 43 in 2019%2F20.

They only watched the Champions League Final because they couldn't get access to the proper football in League One.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

My uncle was a very decent goalkeeper in the early 60s. Was offered a contract at Leeds.

But this was back when there was a maximum wage for footballers and he turned it down because he was making more as a trainee mechanic at a coach company.

I get that 60 years is a long time, but the difference between making less than the average wage to thousands of times more than it is am insane rate of inflation.

How’s his fitness now and could he do a job for us?

• Haha 1

What worries me about modern football is how poo the bottom end of the Premier League/top of the Championship is.

This season Norwich and Watford only got 45 points between the two of them. But you know they'll be back in two seasons time.

Last year none of the relegated teams got to 30 points. Yet Fulham thrashed the Championship at the first attempt.

Season before Norwich went down on 21 points and again walked the Championship the next season.

The bottom end of the Prem is full of bloody useless, uncompetitive teams but the parachute payments guarantee they'll just be back.

Now don't get me wrong, when we went down in 2000, both us an Wimbledon only just broke 30 points. But the difference is, we never got close to getting back and neither did Wimbledon.

• Like 2