When you thought football wasn't dying

27 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Football doesn’t seem to want to make their leagues a genuine competition. The big clubs are so dominant now that the rest simply make up the numbers; merely cannon-fodder.

Pretty much.

At the highest level, it's really about making money whilst maintaining a facade of competition.

That's why we got Super League proposals and now why the Champions League is effectively turning into a glorified SL in 2024 with the revamp.

The top clubs, UEFA etc., are all in on it. As far as they are concerned, they are the bread winners, they are the teams that most fans want to watch and because of that they should be given further preferential treatment than what is already afforded to them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Swfcsi said:

And there's people struggling to put food on the table put clothing on the kids back and pay the bills , this rubs it in people's faces 

Absolutely, we all love football but wages are an obscenity.  Some say “but their careers are over by 35 so have to make sure their families are set for life”.  Really? Lots of people will only earn in their lifetime of working what Mbappe earns in one week. Then footballers also go into be well paid pundits, coaches, reality tv stars.  It’s greed, pure and simple. Footballers can still live very comfortably for life and get paid a fraction of what they are on these days. Whilst the people they are meant to be performing for are having to foot the bill.

A salary cap needs to be brought in this country, and any footballer who thinks it’s “against their rights” can go and play in front of empty stadiums in Dubai.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NobbyStyle said:

Makes you wonder what his teammates think especially if they’re only on half as much

:duntmatter:

Best bit is when he starts picking the team on matchdays.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NobbyStyle said:

Not looking like it’s going to go too smoothly tbh.

No, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

It's pretty clear that the top players at PSG have wielded influence for years. Heard stories about the likes of Neymar, Mbappe deciding which league fixtures they fancy playing in. If you look at some of their results, you'll notice times when all the top names are completely absent from the squad. Then the "back up" players come in - Icardi, Draxler etc.

The whole club is a complete farce; run like a kid on FIFA ultimate teams.

I suppose giving Mbappe what I assume is contractual power over the head coach, signings etc., they just took the next step on this shambolic path.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

No, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

It's pretty clear that the top players at PSG have wielded influence for years. Heard stories about the likes of Neymar, Mbappe deciding which league fixtures they fancy playing in. If you look at some of their results, you'll notice times when all the top names are completely absent from the squad. Then the "back up" players come in - Icardi, Draxler etc.

The whole club is a complete farce; run like a kid on FIFA ultimate teams.

I suppose giving Mbappe what I assume is contractual power over the head coach, signings etc., they just took the next step on this shambolic path.

Don't think I've ever hated anyone in football as much as I hate neymar. When he's on the pitch I turn it over.

• Like 3

Absolutely disgraceful and obscene that any sportsman should be paid at that level.  When you consider what else is going on in the world economy, it cannot be justified, whichever way you look at it.

• Like 2

Going to backfire i reckon.

Why would you play for your team mate if all he has to do is tell the coach he didn't like how you were crossing the ball to him or not passing quick enough to him.

Then if the coach tells Mbappe to STFU and play better like he should, he gets him fired.

One player should never have that much influence

The question i want to know how do these teams not break financial fair play. Just this week it was announced Everton have lost £370m in the last 3 years but no punishment for break FFP.

to many teams are getting away with doing what they want, while others get penalised.

It really is one rule for one and everyone else can.....

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The question i want to know how do these teams not break financial fair play. Just this week it was announced Everton have lost £370m in the last 3 years but no punishment for break FFP.

to many teams are getting away with doing what they want, while others get penalised.

It really is one rule for one and everyone else can.....

The EPL let them write off £170m for COVID and £70m for non footballing costs, such as the women's and youth team. 

4 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

The EPL let them write off £170m for COVID and £70m for non footballing costs, such as the women's and youth team. 

Dear god. Then clearly the old boys club is still as bent as it used to be.

• Like 1

I suppose football has been on this unfortunate course for three odd decades now. 

Advent of the PL, Champions League reformatting, the Real Madrid Galacticos experiments, Roman taking over at Chelsea, the Glazers, the City takeover, Qatar at PSG, Saudis in at Newcastle, all the newer American owners (FSG, Kroenke). 

The top European clubs have effectively turned into NFL franchises. The owners either want to cream in the profits or use these clubs to sport wash/legitimate their regimes. The Qataris don't want to be losing Mr Mbappe to a European rival the year they host the WC. 

• Like 2