SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

57 minutes ago, striker said:

A good start.

If we did get Dean, Wilks, Vaulks, Smith....that would represent an excellent transfer window. 

Be happy if got….

Dean

Tucker

Hector

Vaulks

Camara

Wilks

Smith

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Smith would be a fantastic signing if it could be done, he lives in Barnsley so he wouldn't have to uproot his family but I'm not so sure if his wages would be a problem depending on which championship clubs may be after him, plus the Rotherham fans bought him an Alan Shearer signed shirt and he knows the rivalry etc so that may sway him unless of course the contract is to good to refuse. 

It’s only a rivalry for them.

Not for us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fpowl said:

I get what your saying and Dele for me is what I think we as a club need to look at I think we are if I’m not mistaken on the same page 

the point I make is Dele for me in his raw size athleticism etc for his age looks like he can go on and have a huge impact or saleable asset. I suppose I see him in Similar brackets to Antonio, Barkley, wickham, joao etc. You just see a young player and you think they are going to do well maybe not so much yet but they have age on their side 

the difference between Dele and the others I mention is the others parents club loaned them out to develop so it didn’t hinder or compromise their first team.

Can they come in and do a job - yes 

can they Sustain it over 40 plus games and the club still meet its ambition on promotion I’m not sure 

hindsight would have me loan Dele out a bit like cammy last year and see how he fairs up 

would we have missed him too much? I don’t think so 

would he have benefited from more games and Is know more about his level and developed more? Yes I think so 

I applauded the club last year for getting more players out on loan I think this Is the way forward unfortunately I don’t think we have many players tapping on the door for first team starting roles yet 

Dele is arguably one of those 

my point is how much game time do we think Dele will get? That’s not a critism. However if we get promoted and then step up a level and not utilised him too much as a real first team regular starter where does that leave him?

out on loan? He’s at the age where that could still be a benefit. 

but would that mean this is a somewhat stagnant season for him 

I use him as an example as I think he out of our squad is the one currently we could go on and get huge value for money for or be an outstanding player for us but again that’s currently based on potential not current and are we holding is development back on his current role with us or comprising a first team shirt?

Yes I agree there are some ponderables. I can see both merit in loaning him and retaining him to compete for a first team place. Much would depend on how he shapes up over pre-season. He has attributes that no-one  else in the squad does and I think it highly possible that he will have progressed from last season come start of next though we'll  have to wait and see.

Perhaps a half season loan to a club that are likely to play him regularly, injuries permitting. He'd be nudging 22 on his return with quite a bit of first team experience. Personally I think that he could well bring significant added value to our, hopefully, promotion push be it for the full season or for the second half.  I'd  be disappointed to see him loaned out for the full season. Unless he doesn't  impress pre-season I think that unlikely though. 

2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Probably the longest contract will win his signature. 2 year deal with another yr option would swing it.

I think you're likely right about longevity  but the one year option is generally only exercisable by the club. Would 2 years be enough for Smith? 2+1 would be perfect for the club IMO though.

Isn’t smith 30?

I can see us bettering his current wage and Rotherham offer and offering him 3 years probably with a promotion pay rise too

I can also see this being 1/4 of what we was allegedly paying the likes of hooper, fessi, Rhodes, fletcher etc….

that said would a champ club come in and offer 15k a week plus for two years, maybe 

I think if we want him we will be able to match his wages and contract length

if he signs elsewhere it will come down to where smith wants to play not money or contract IMO 

7 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Isn’t smith 30?

I can see us bettering his current wage and Rotherham offer and offering him 3 years probably with a promotion pay rise too

I can also see this being 1/4 of what we was allegedly paying the likes of hooper, fessi, Rhodes, fletcher etc….

that said would a champ club come in and offer 15k a week plus for two years, maybe 

I think if we want him we will be able to match his wages and contract length

if he signs elsewhere it will come down to where smith wants to play not money or contract IMO 

Thinks it’s been said Rotherham cart /ain’t offering him another contract? It’ll oil down to ££££ nearly always does ? Fingers x we sign him cus don’t think we’ll get a better target man proven in this league without paying a fee

• Like 1

I’m not totally convinced on Smith tbh. Terrific last season but that’s been only his second prolific season? 

Of course with it being a free transfer it’s a fairly easy risk to take on. 

We still need a younger quicker striker mind you.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Not sure why everyone is so keen on Smith tbh. Before last season in 15 seasons of football he never scored more than 10 goals, large spells in League 2 too.

He’s 30 so his last 15 seasons of football prior to last season?! You’re assessing his goal scoring ability going back to him being 14 😂

He also scored 13 in L1 for Swindon in 14/15 when they reached the play off final.

What an inaccurate post. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Thinks it’s been said Rotherham cart /ain’t offering him another contract? It’ll oil down to ££££ nearly always does ? Fingers x we sign him cus don’t think we’ll get a better target man proven in this league without paying a fee

I think he’s a good player and last year he was certainly effective and he’s on a free 

but that was his stand out career season 

maybe he’s just coming in to him prime or maybe it was a fluke 

he got 10 goals season before with Rotherham that was his third best year

and his second best year I think he got about 14 when he was at Swindon back in 2015 maybe 

I suppose what I’m saying is are a lot of fans judging smith on last season or his career

personally and take the goals out I think he’s exactly the kind of player we lack and need and will not only  enable us to play differently he will offer a danger from set pieces and a physical arial threat in play 

plus will help towards making us tighter at defending set pieces 

Added bonus he got 19 goals too 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am surprised so many have turned their nose up at Smith. He has a lot lot more to his game than just goals. He’s a hard worker and leads a line very well. He’s a target man which is something I think we have missed since Fletcher left. 

He’s also been a key part in Rotherham’s 3 recent promotions from this level. He was also part of that Swindon side that made the play offs in 2015. He may not guarantee 20 goals but he certainly can guarantee good performances. Although back in 19/20 the season was curtailed with him on 9 and 12 games to go.

Be a good parter for Gregory who played his best stuff next to big Morrison at Millwall. 

Also worth noting goals last season weren’t an issue, we scored plenty. He’s an improvement on the team and especially players we’ve just lost. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Swfcsi said:

Think With Dean's wages being high (reports) maybe him on loan again unless they give him a free then that saves us a little and will go to wage 

Yep. Depends what happens with Bassini buying them. If it goes through wouldn't be surprised to see Warburton in there and he likes Dean. 

If it falls through, they can't afford to sack Bowyer and Dean becomes available. 

2 minutes ago, Swfcsi said:

Was listening to that Bassini on talk sport the other day and he sounds a right clown ,I'm not Chansiris biggest fan by any means but that Bassini make Chansiri look like a God lol

Agree, listened to that and sounds a right basket case. Doesn't bode well for Birmingham and how EFL would ever allow him to pass the fit and proper owners test, even using a patsy, beggars belief. 

Unfortunately for us, the circus doesn't make things any clearer for Dean. Best for us if it falls through quickly and they need to reduce the wage bill to save cash.