SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

It's what Garry Monk was trying to do.  Was him who signed Fizz.  We have to sign people like that, and yes Byers, who in 2 or 3 years time, if they do well then will still command a fee.

Not the like of Charlie Austin etc, who even if they did well, wouldn't be worth anything in the market.  It's been our downfall for years

• Like 2

Signing up and coming players has risk though. Peterborough seem to do well at this, buying and selling on at a profit, but they’ve just been relegated to league one. Is it only really Brentford that have made a success of it?

Waits to be proven completely wrong 🙂

12 hours ago, 0114 said:

Only other teams I can think would be in for Tucker at this level are Peterborough who have a business model of buy young and like to sell for decent profit a few years on.

The other being Portsmouth who I seen had offers rejected for Tucker only last January. 

MK are interested too

16 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Signing up and coming players has risk though. Peterborough seem to do well at this, buying and selling on at a profit, but they’ve just been relegated to league one. Is it only really Brentford that have made a success of it?

But our current "strategy" hasn't worked for the past 10 years.  Surely needs to change

• Like 1

You need to strike a balance. 

A core of experience supplemented by younger players who will improve and get better. 

Heck, you might even sell a few for a couple of quid. 

It's really not that difficult, but for so long we seem to rely on senior players and loans. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 109Waddle said:

I agree with this but Luton, Coventry and Barnsley all had a crack at the top end of the league on a budget doing it. The problem is that if you get a window wrong Youre in bother so you need the balance and I think we will do that. You can’t have a full squad of u23s.

But looking at the Champ now, compared to the PL2 it was becoming around the time DC took over. The ffp stuff has hammered clubs and now a lot of teams have quite a few young players in the side as it’s almost impossible to avoid deductions without selling a player or two 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You need to strike a balance. 

A core of experience supplemented by younger players who will improve and get better. 

Heck, you might even sell a few for a couple of quid. 

It's really not that difficult, but for so long we seem to rely on senior players and loans. 

Your first line sums it up perfectly.

1 hour ago, 109Waddle said:

Not signing them doesn't come with a risk as it is certain to cost the club as We've been proving for over 20 years. Yes, Peterborough  seems to be doing well in this department and they got relegated from The Championship, but if they didn't they would have never come close to playing at that level.

Most of teams that do get promoted came up with some young talent to either build around or sell for profit. If we get up this season it will be with the oldest squad in the league and worst than one that got us relegated. We will get promoted so unprepared for life in the Championship that Chansiri will be called up to make another clear out and pay for a whole new team and then called cheap ba5tard if He doesn't do it. We are paying absolute fortune with only next season in mind and to bring together squad full of players that can't perform above League One level.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

If the rumoured signings come off, it seems like we're aiming to turn ourselves into a strong League One side aiming at promotion rather than a 'we don't belong here' Championship side.

That's no bad thing imo. I'm not convinced filling the team with players from higher leagues is a shortcut to success. I think you need a core of players who know this league.

4 minutes ago, malek said:

Not signing them doesn't come with a risk as it is certain to cost the club as We've been proving for over 20 years. Yes, Peterborough  seems to be doing well in this department and they got relegated from The Championship, but if they didn't they would have never come close to playing at that level.

Most of teams that do get promoted came up with some young talent to either build around or sell for profit. If we get up this season it will be with the oldest squad in the league and worst than one that got us relegated. We will get promoted so unprepared for life in the Championship that Chansiri will be called up to make another clear out and pay for a whole new team and then called cheap ba5tard if He doesn't do it. We are paying absolute fortune with only next season in mind and to bring together squad full of players that can't perform above League One level.

Agree overall. That said I don't  mind Heneghan as it was manifest that we missed his type once Dunkley was injured last season. He's not old and unlikely to be breaking the bank in wages. Bring in someone  like Tucker alongside and I'll be very happy. Less so if we bring back Dean on championship wages. Stockdale for a year to compete with someone younger is fine too IMO so long as,  again, he's on sensible wages. CB and GK are key positions where experience and, in the case of CB, physicality  counts in this league.

Like you I'd be very disappointed if we didn't  bring a sprinkling of younger players in though.

As someone else said; balance is key.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Agree overall. That said I don't  mind Heneghan as it was manifest that we missed his type once Dunkley was injured last season. He's not old and unlikely to be breaking the bank in wages. Bring in someone  like Tucker alongside and I'll be very happy. Less so if we bring back Dean on championship wages. Stockdale for a year to compete with someone younger is fine too IMO so long as,  again, he's on sensible wages. CB and GK are key positions where experience and, in the case of CB, physicality  counts in this league.

Like you I'd be very disappointed if we didn't  bring a sprinkling of younger players in though.

Nothing against Heneghan's signing, experienced League One player brought in on free transfer and paid what should be fairly low wages for a club like ours. Bit concerned that We brought in with most clearances in the league last season while our plan seems to be to restrain from clearing the ball and pass it from the back when we can, but that is beside the point.

I'm not against signing players in their 30's like Stockdale, Smith, etc... But We need mix of youth and experience, every club does. We need to bring in players with long term plans in mind as well, not only those to do the job next season. We need to bring in players that will bring money to the club, not only results. This approach doesn't work in a long run and it is what brought us where We are today.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, malek said:

Nothing against Heneghan's signing, experienced League One player brought in on free transfer and paid what should be fairly low wages for a club like ours. Bit concerned that We brought in with most clearances in the league last season while our plan seems to be to restrain from clearing the ball and pass it from the back when we can, but that is beside the point.

I'm not against signing players in their 30's like Stockdale, Smith, etc... But We need mix of youth and experience, every club does. We need to bring in players with long term plans in mind as well, not only those to do the job next season. We need to bring in players that will bring money to the club, not only results. This approach doesn't work in a long run and it is what brought us where We are today.

Yes agreed.

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Maybe the young player are the loan signings from higher teams which are always late in pre-season . Starting to feel a bit like the Megson season... get a spine of experience in league one... then inject the X factor, like Antonio