SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

10 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

And you can try and convince yourself that DM got something worthwhile out of Berahino before subsequently releasing him and that 2 goals in 18 games and can’t be @rsedness in the most important game of the season makes NML a good signing, 

I’ve convinced myself that he did and I think NML was a decent signing. You disagree, fair enough.

I also thought Lawtie’s left peg was just for standing on but you’ll disagree with that as well? 🤪

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Sorry, I hadn’t seen that stat. Which of them had a goal involvement every 115 minutes? The one who was released or the one who couldn’t be @rswd tracking back in the most important game of the season ? 

BB5F427C-0781-43FD-BED5-D7F6EB16F468.jpeg

NML was *not* put on to 'track back'. We were chasing the game and the tactics were wrong, and after we equalised the game management should have been much better with a shift around of the back line positions, the back line should have been pushing over to the right to cover NML's forward pressing. That's the whole point of throwing him on late!

NML has never been a RWB that's why he was mainly used when we were pressing teams. To do that effectively, the back 3 needs to be able to become a back 4 with the LWB dropping in to push the RCB over to cover the RB position and to cover his pressing.  Pretty basic tactics, that were just very poorly executed. 

• Like 2

Are we questioning NML being a poor signing?

I think he’s very effective at this level granted like every player he has to be played in the right way in the right games

Put him outside when we’re on top or pushing he’s one of the best attacking players in the division for me 

he’s quick direct, strong on the ball, goes pay defenders and can make things happen always a threat and takes the pressure from the back and puts the pressure on the opposition 

put him on in a game where we’re defending or under pressure….why would you? 

some people need to understand certain players have certain traits and skills and if you try to make them an all rounder or do things that’s not their game then they will lose other aspects of their game that makes them good

Use players to their strengths round pegs round holes and all that 

Barry bannan having to play deep can do a job 

Barry Bannan with luongo behind him in more of a free role and he comes much more effective 

Like when we played jordon Rhodes up front on his own and played long balls up to him or asked him to come deep- never been great player and of course his form and performance suffers from it ( maybe a bad example to be fair ) 

my point is not every player is the same and you can’t just cherry pick what you expect from them if that’s not what their game is about

in short I think Mendez-Laing is a great player to have in our squad 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I think he’s very effective at this level granted like every player he has to be played in the right way in the right games

Put him outside when we’re on top or pushing he’s one of the best attacking players in the division for me 

he’s quick direct, strong on the ball, goes pay defenders and can make things happen always a threat and takes the pressure from the back and puts the pressure on the opposition 

some people need to understand certain players have certain traits and skills and if you try to make them an all rounder or do things that’s not their game then they will lose other aspects of their game that makes them good

Barry Bannan with luongo behind him in more of a free role and he comes much more effective 

Like when we played jordon Rhodes up front on his own and played long balls up to him or asked him to come deep- never been great player and of course his form and performance suffers from it ( maybe a bad example to be fair ) 

my point is not every player is the same and you can’t just cherry pick what you expect from them if that’s not what their game is about

As you say if used effectively. If we are going to persevere with wingbacks then he’s wasted.

Karamoko Dembele set to be a free agent from Celtic. London-born and brother at Bournemouth, so could easily go there. But injured all last year and could use a season or two to establish himself w some playing time. 

Would be a low risk-high reward if he could right the ship and be sold on in a few years. 

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

Hes a player who showed promise many years before he chose drugs, he looks washed up, his pace and effectiveness are in the past and his work rate is even further behind, hes not even effective from the bench, he lost interest in football many years ago and BOY does it show

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, 0742 said:

NML was *not* put on to 'track back'. We were chasing the game and the tactics were wrong, and after we equalised the game management should have been much better with a shift around of the back line positions, the back line should have been pushing over to the right to cover NML's forward pressing. That's the whole point of throwing him on late!

NML has never been a RWB that's why he was mainly used when we were pressing teams. To do that effectively, the back 3 needs to be able to become a back 4 with the LWB dropping in to push the RCB over to cover the RB position and to cover his pressing.  Pretty basic tactics, that were just very poorly executed. 

Thank you. It was awful defending by Storey that cost us the goal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Hes a player who showed promise many years before he chose drugs, he looks washed up, his pace and effectiveness are in the past and his work rate is even further behind, hes not even effective from the bench, he lost interest in football many years ago and BOY does it show

Drugs? 

10 hours ago, 83owl said:

As you say if used effectively. If we are going to persevere with wingbacks then he’s wasted.

I think we will use a 4-3-3  this next season which will accommodate NLM 

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Professional footballer has the chance to track back and prevent a goal which knocks his team out of the play-offs. He is the freshest player on the pitch. He can’t be @rsed.  Opposites score. His team lose. His team are not promoted. 
Fan says. It’s ok,  He “wasn’t to track back”

You seriously could not make this 💩 up

The game is clearly very technically different to what you think. It's just a bit weird that you're trying the lay the blame for a goal conceded on one player, who is one of our most attacking players in the squad. Asking NML to be aware of tracking back and putting him on to do so is just a bit stupid. Especially when what should have happened is Palmer moved to RCB, to provide much better cover for the right defensive area which would also allow Johnson to drop back to LB with Storey and Dean acting as CB's.

Leaving Palmer at LCB when he had the more defensively capable Johnson in front of him and Storey at RCB when he tends to stay central and not cover the wing backs as well is what caused the gaping back down our right side. Now Sunderland have a very capable manager who saw that and had their left winger hold wide with the ball moving to their left far more in the last 15 minutes. 

But yeah, tracking back or summat innit fellurrr

lol

10 minutes ago, 0742 said:

The game is clearly very technically different to what you think. It's just a bit weird that you're trying the lay the blame for a goal conceded on one player, who is one of our most attacking players in the squad. Asking NML to be aware of tracking back and putting him on to do so is just a bit stupid. Especially when what should have happened is Palmer moved to RCB, to provide much better cover for the right defensive area which would also allow Johnson to drop back to LB with Storey and Dean acting as CB's.

Leaving Palmer at LCB when he had the more defensively capable Johnson in front of him and Storey at RCB when he tends to stay central and not cover the wing backs as well is what caused the gaping back down our right side. Now Sunderland have a very capable manager who saw that and had their left winger hold wide with the ball moving to their left far more in the last 15 minutes. 

But yeah, tracking back or summat innit fellurrr

lol

So to be clear. Because the game’s “complicated” in your view. If a professional footballer sees the opportunity to prevent an opposite from scoring in the playoff semi finals whereby defeat means his team cannot be promoted then you are advocating he shouldn’t try to stop the opposite from scoring. Your rationale? 
Asking an attacking player to track back is “a bit stupid”. 
Bill Shankly famously said that “Football is a simple game complicated by idiots” but yeah, I’m sure you’re Football Manager 22 explanation as to why NML shouldn’t run is correct.
For the record. I’m not blaming NML, I was referring to a previous post saying he was a good signing last season. 
And finally, “tracking back or summat innit fellurrr” WTF? Are you some kind of Ali G tribute act ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I bet he'd beat everyone else at Hillsborough over 50 m. Ridiculous statement.

Just needs to take the coat hanger out of his shirt before he puts it on😁

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

So to be clear. Because the game’s “complicated” in your view. If a professional footballer sees the opportunity to prevent an opposite from scoring in the playoff semi finals whereby defeat means his team cannot be promoted then you are advocating he shouldn’t try to stop the opposite from scoring. Your rationale? 
Asking an attacking player to track back is “a bit stupid”. 
Bill Shankly famously said that “Football is a simple game complicated by idiots” but yeah, I’m sure you’re Football Manager 22 explanation as to why NML shouldn’t run is correct.
For the record. I’m not blaming NML, I was referring to a previous post saying he was a good signing last season. 
And finally, “tracking back or summat innit fellurrr” WTF? Are you some kind of Ali G tribute act ? 

Bruv, we ain't even in the same pitch here. 

get out of here quoting bill shankly and using your own personal bias to label how a player in a split second perceived whether could be @rsed to track back or not. The games moved on, thankfully!

Nobody said a player shouldn't run, but it seems that's all you can comprehend.