SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

At 30yr old ? Big contract 100%

That was my thought really

No transfer fee so the question for us is really do we give him a big 2 year contract?

Would a 2 year 10k a week deal make sense with signing on fee and promotion bonus?

42 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I rate Smith as a player but he’s quite similar to Gregory isn’t he?

My thoughts too. I  think you would only play one of them up top, not both together.

We need a faster, younger forward to play alongside Gregory 

24 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

he is I think but we need a few more strong bullies in the team imo. 

Such a typical English mentality, let's get a few bullies in the team rather than actual footballers.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

That was my thought really

No transfer fee so the question for us is really do we give him a big 2 year contract?

Would a 2 year 10k a week deal make sense with signing on fee and promotion bonus?

The bigger question is at 31 in October, was last season a fluke? Do stats for previous seasons stand up?

Could be a big signing, could be an expensive folly. Suppose the opportunity cost is whether he can replicate last season and contribute towards promotion.

13 hours ago, Royal_D said:

My thoughts on Camara

Looks a great player, but will cost a few quid to get out of Plymouth , especially regarding there stance on selling to a rival

Great engine, and capable of bagging a few goals 

If the kind of money to get Camara out of Plymouth is available, I just wonder if it would be better spent on a striker or a central defender ,  I think with Bannan , FDB , Adeniran and George Byers we’ve got options already in central midfield and better ones than we’ve got upfront , certainly better than at centre half 

Can you trust Luongo to stay fit?

Plus he hasn’t even agreed to sign yet.

In general, we need more “legs” and athleticism in the team. Midfield is the obvious place to start.

If we are going to play three in there he needs 6 he can trust.  Luongo hasn’t signed yet and even if he does I’m not convinced DM trusts FDB or Adeniran.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

So long as players have looked after themselves, 30 is not seen like it was. It’s more like 27/28 in today’s game with the fitness and diets players have. 

All depends on how disciplined the player is. 

Good job he’s coming from a town famed for its healthy diet and lifestyle then

lol 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Such a typical English mentality, let's get a few bullies in the team rather than actual footballers.

in league one I think it’s needed. I do think we are to soft as a team. With Hutchinson leaving as well that makes us weaker as a team. 

• Like 1

No to Smith.

We already have experienced forwards in Gregory and Paterson and plenty of experience in the squad.

We MUST stop constantly investing funds in players that are not going to increase in value.

And as good as Smith is at this level, we MUST get more athleticism and pace into the team.

If we didn’t have Gregory, I’d probably have a different view - but we do.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

No to Smith.

We already have experienced forwards in Gregory and Paterson and plenty of experience in the squad.

We MUST stop constantly investing funds in players that are not going to increase in value.

And as good as Smith is at this level, we MUST get more athleticism and pace into the team.

If we didn’t have Gregory, I’d probably have a different view - but we do.

Inclined to agree,  also , Smiths stats last season aside are not really exciting me 

12 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

in league one I think it’s needed. I do think we are to soft as a team. With Hutchinson leaving as well that makes us weaker as a team. 

I just think its a myth when people say bully's are needed to get out of league 1. There's no evidence to suggest it whatsoever,  if anything it's the opposite, out of the last 6 promoted teams out of the league I'd say 5 didn't play that way, Wigan, Sunderland,  Hull, Peterborough and Blackpool were all good on the eye, I'd say even Rotherham weren't bully's they just all knew their roles and had a structure and a manager that knew the league inside out.

12 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Inclined to agree,  also , Smiths stats last season aside are not really exciting me 

I’d take Smith on a free

We can’t expect Gregory to play 46 games.

Also think we need a target man type of forward as well as some pace

Smith will be a good as we can get on a free for league 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Fans wanting us to exclusively sign youngsters with research value, shouldn't expect immediate promotion 

And then those same fans will slate them hard and message them on Twitter putting them down when they don’t play to their standards it’s crazy

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

I’d take Smith on a free

We can’t expect Gregory to play 46 games.

Also think we need a target man type of forward as well as some pace

Smith will be a good as we can get on a free for league 1

This 

Smith and Gregory would be great

They are not to similar apart from they both score goals 

Smith is commanding in the air much better than Gregory 

and he does it in both boxes which we lacked last season 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

This 

Smith and Gregory would be great

They are not to similar apart from they both score goals 

Smith is commanding in the air much better than Gregory 

and he does it in both boxes which we lacked last season 

He was very good against us at Hillsborough last season. Would be surprised if he signed for us though