SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

10 hours ago, Bez said:

Most teams have signed a couple of players at most.   We’ve done more than almost every team in the football league.  

It will kick off nearer the season and into August. 

Indeed but unlike most teams, we have release 10+ players for the last 3 seasons.

We have a largely older squad of players, those 5 signings made have an average age of 30 with no one under 28. 

We are above 4 signings light of where we need to be, left back/winger, right winger, centre back, pacy striker, plus replace if any leave.

If we wait for the loan market like we have made the mistake of doing the last few seasons, they will miss the first 4 or 5 games and probably take another 6-10 matches to get fit or worse get injured because of fitness ala Dean, TJJ, Shodipo, Gibson.

I dont want to hear the same excuses this season why the players look leggy, or fitness concerns, or we will have to wait. We need to be ready to go game 1 not game 7 or 8

24 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

if we're sticking with 3-5-2 we're literally 1, maybe 2 centre backs short and 1 LWB as cover for Johnson. After that every position has incredible strength in depth for this division. Hopefully a couple of centre backs can be added over the next few weeks that can challenge the 3 centre backs we have now

Moore may be challenging Brown to step up and challenge Johnson. I’m not confident he’s up to it, but then we’ll probably struggle getting someone in of any real quality knowing Johnson will surely start as first choice.

Arguably we’re more in need of someone on the right to compete with Hunt. I really don’t like Palmer in an advanced role and the only other options are playing Paterson or Adeniran out of position. 

Im not sad to see NML go, but he was very handy in that he could play winger and wing-back and also left and right side. We don’t have any out and out wingers in the squad now which you’d think we’ll need if we want to be flexible 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Hutch family went back down south maybe that’s why we didn’t offer because he was going back down for them ?

People don’t want to hear sensible reasons for the decision.  Whether it’s that hutch wanted to return south or that we have targets set up to sign that can’t be released yet whilst their parent clubs bring in replacements.  The club made a terrible decision to let him go is the easiest thing to say

• Like 2

If you want players with other options or owned by other clubs it tends to take a lot longer and for other deals to happen for that knock on. Frustrating but it sounds like we have signed the free agents we wanted and are now in a different market. I could see the season starting with only half the recruitment being done.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Moore may be challenging Brown to step up and challenge Johnson. I’m not confident he’s up to it, but then we’ll probably struggle getting someone in of any real quality knowing Johnson will surely start as first choice.

Arguably we’re more in need of someone on the right to compete with Hunt. I really don’t like Palmer in an advanced role and the only other options are playing Paterson or Adeniran out of position. 

Im not sad to see NML go, but he was very handy in that he could play winger and wing-back and also left and right side. We don’t have any out and out wingers in the squad now which you’d think we’ll need if we want to be flexible 

Think Palmer is more than capable myself of playing the right wing back role, especially in the tougher games away from home. Feel like Brown does have something to offer, he showed glimpses but got frozen out very quickly. Surely he can manage a few games here and there and appearances off the bench 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, paulrs said:

If we can’t find a better option than Brown for a big league one club then it’s time to sack all our scouts, could find better quality than Brown at Sunday league level. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Heard us and Derby fighting it out for Haydon Roberts from Brighton on loan for the season.

Left footed CB - we tried for him last season but they wouldn’t loan him out to anyone apparently. Brighton rate him highly. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Agree with this, we are very light out wide. We have two very good wingbacks, but both 30+, neither going to play every game and need some competition for places and cover. 

The optimist in me considers that the coaching staff have been working with Brown for a year, so maybe close to looking like a footballer, the realist in me thinks we are weeing against the wind to expect that. 

We've not really been linked with any wide players, those we have been linked with are forwards, not really suited to the wingback role, and we saw the result of having NML in that role and not tracking back in the play offs. 

It is such a crucial position when playing 352, Palmer can do a job, but I do actually (perhaps controversially) think he is better as a CB. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree with this, we are very light out wide. We have two very good wingbacks, but both 30+, neither going to play every game and need some competition for places and cover. 

The optimist in me considers that the coaching staff have been working with Brown for a year, so maybe close to looking like a footballer, the realist in me thinks we are weeing against the wind to expect that. 

We've not really been linked with any wide players, those we have been linked with are forwards, not really suited to the wingback role, and we saw the result of having NML in that role and not tracking back in the play offs. 

It is such a crucial position when playing 352, Palmer can do a job, but I do actually (perhaps controversially) think he is better as a CB. 

Absolutely Spot on that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

If we can’t find a better option than Brown for a big league one club then it’s time to sack all our scouts, could find better quality than Brown at Sunday league level. 

Would be looking at two Pompy players Ronan Curtis and Marcus Harness

Curtis left winger 159 league one appearances, 40 goals, 32 assists

Harness right winger 148 league one games, 28 goals and 26 assists

both would add goal threat and more supply down the wings and both mid 20's and in last 12 months of contract.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Think Palmer is more than capable myself of playing the right wing back role, especially in the tougher games away from home. Feel like Brown does have something to offer, he showed glimpses but got frozen out very quickly. Surely he can manage a few games here and there and appearances off the bench 

Forget Brown..not up to it

Curtis the only player I saw last season give Jack Hunt a torrid time. 

Be surprised if Portsmouth let either leave though for less than a million a piece.

I’d rather us sign two out and out wing backs though. There’s plenty about nowadays so it shouldn’t mean taking a chance on someone unfamiliar with the position. 

18 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

I agree. Palmer is fine at RWB was probably our best player in the away leg v Sunderland and should've probably scored too tbh.

11 minutes ago, striker said:

Good post. Agree regarding Palmer, I think he’s got a lot to offer in the RCB role or even the LCB role. I like him as a RB in a 4 but not a RWB with more responsibility on getting forward. 

I think it’s hard to recruit for the WB roles because of how good Johnson & Hunt we’re post Christmas. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Hutch family went back down south maybe that’s why we didn’t offer because he was going back down for them ?

To be fair his family moved back down south when he signed for Pafos!

2 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

The more the summer goes the more I wonder if we will regret not giving hutch another 1 year . Could do a job across the back 3 either right or left , experienced and we know his qualities 

Personally would have offered him a player cover/coaching role.

Instill some bottle into new and younger players and tbf some of the older ones.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

both would add goal threat and more supply down the wings and both mid 20's and in last 12 months of contract.

We do like an ambitious double swoop of a team too 

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We don't play with wingers though, so why would they join, even if Portsmouth agreed to sell them, and we somehow found the money to sign 2 wingers that we won't play, or will play out of position?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Wingers? None fit into our system…

Harness has internet from Swansea with Portsmouth holding out for £750,000. 

• Like 1