SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

7 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Good move all round. Didn't look quite ready for our first team last season.  If he kicks on and does well at Swindon we could have a good asset  on our hands.

Just hope he makes as big an impact for them as CD did for Exeter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morganowl said:

good move hopefully gets regular game time , we have ihiekwe henegan as the only 2 centre backs now cant really count iorfa as hardly been fit in 2 years now . last season we had gibson dunkley hutchinson dean storey iorfa brennan and palmer as a back up yes 2 were to cover 2 crocks . we will be looking for 2 more centre backs 1 who can play left back or defence and the other in the centre . lets hope we have defenders what stay fit next season as having johnson at centre back cost us back end of 2021. 

I would count iorfa as a centre back if not for anything else but the obvious which is…… he is a centre back 

I still think we will bring in 2/3 more centre backs if they are available 

ihekwe heneghan iorfa Palmer dean +1, maybe another if it’s the right deal 

57 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think we’ll have 5 to fit into 3, + Palmer if it really comes down to it.

Another 2 required.

I think we could just about get away with 1 more if we had more faith in Iorfa staying fit. On current form Iorfa’s availability is a bonus but we can’t rely on it. 

with our injury record we need at least another 17!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I would count iorfa as a centre back if not for anything else but the obvious which is…… he is a centre back 

I still think we will bring in 2/3 more centre backs if they are available 

ihekwe heneghan iorfa Palmer dean +1, maybe another if it’s the right deal 

I imagine that we will sign one more CB and then a couple on loan.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Im a bit disappointed with this as he has shown promise when he's played.

Thought he was capable of getting plenty of game time with us this season and could have stepped up and filled the space left by Storey.

Our centre backs will be all around 30 years old.

We need to have some younger legs available too.

Hope he doesnt go the same way as Thorniley, another promising youngster we let go.

Look its good for him to play week in week out, he wont get any game time under Moore except in the Pizza cup.

Moore showed last season his unwillingness to give youth a chance, he chose to play others out of position instead of playing youth. His unwillingness to play youth also cost us the loan of Corbeanu, who I though if given regular play time, in an attacking role would have given the team more down the right flank than Hunt or NML did. 

His signing this close season are all establish players, no young and improving players that will be future assets. This may change but we are just 4 weeks away from the start of the season and still are about 3 or 4 players short of a competitive squad.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think Palmer’s ear marked for the back 3 as he gets forward well from this position and having the back 3 coming forward with the ball is key to it being successful in many ways.

I hope not.

His positional sense is not that of a centre half and he’s not strong enough in the air

He is ok to cover if needed but shouldn’t be seen as first choice 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Good move for them both.

I'm not going over old ground or longing for what we used to have in the past, they had their time and I'm happy with what we have now, with still more business to be done in this transfer window. 

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think Palmer’s ear marked for the back 3 as he gets forward well from this position and having the back 3 coming forward with the ball is key to it being successful in many ways.

Agreed. Against the weaker sides at home, who just park the bus, Palmer is actually quite useful in a back 3 for the reason you state. I think it’s arguably his best position these days too.

Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Heneghan, Palmer and one more commanding centre back covers us I think. We’re going to have to be smarter with our spending now so not sure recruiting more than 1 more centre back is doable. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Look its good for him to play week in week out, he wont get any game time under Moore except in the Pizza cup.

Moore showed last season his unwillingness to give youth a chance, he chose to play others out of position instead of playing youth. His unwillingness to play youth also cost us the loan of Corbeanu, who I though if given regular play time, in an attacking role would have given the team more down the right flank than Hunt or NML did. 

His signing this close season are all establish players, no young and improving players that will be future assets. This may change but we are just 4 weeks away from the start of the season and still are about 3 or 4 players short of a competitive squad.

Unwillingness or his assessment in deeming them not good enough yet 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bladeshater said:

But where's any money for João right now

We are willing to spend on Wilks and have done on Windass. It’s not like I’ve suggested millions of pounds on an ageing player which is something we have had no issue with doing in the past. Calculated spending on cut price deals is what clubs do or should be doing (if they can and we seemingly can)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueandwhitematt said:

Agreed. Against the weaker sides at home, who just park the bus, Palmer is actually quite useful in a back 3 for the reason you state. I think it’s arguably his best position these days too.

Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Heneghan, Palmer and one more commanding centre back covers us I think. We’re going to have to be smarter with our spending now so not sure recruiting more than 1 more centre back is doable. 

Yeah, I think Palmer will be utilised as an option in either of the wide centre half roles. He did a reasonable job last season, and as a versatile option to have in the squad, that could also fill in at RWB (and LWB) at certain points also.

Looking at what we've got:

Iorfa - Quick, aerially strong. Happy bringing the ball out of defence, but perhaps limited technically in terms of ball control and passing ability. I think he's ideally suited to the centre of the back three, with his ability to sweep and cover space in behind...but I'd imagine, he'll be utilised as a RCB primarily. 

Heneghan - Old fashioned type centre haf. He'll be an option in the middle of the back three. But, I think he'll be very much a back-up, who might be employed in certain matches, where the aerial bombardment is expected.

Ihiekwe - Comfortable playing in all three positions across the back. Left footed, so makes sense for him to be the 1st option at the LCB position, but looked comfortable last season playing as a RCB (when Wes Harding was employed at LCB for Rotherham)

Palmer - A solid back up option for both LCB and RCB positions

Right Centre Half - IORFA (Palmer) (Ihiekwe)

Centre Half - HENEGHAN (Iorfa) (Ihiekwe)

Left Centre Half - IHIEKWE (Palmer)

So, we've already got a degree of versatility within our limited options at centre half. 

I'd like another left sided centre half as a priority. I thought Purrington would've ticked a lot of boxes tbh (left footed, comfortable on the role, an alternative to Johnson at LWB in certain games/situations). Gibson is another interesting option if he is available...I genuinely think there's a very good player in there, if he can get some consistency and games under his belt.

And maybe another option to centrally... Dean is the obvious one. But that won't cheap, but he'll be a cut above most at this level. The links with Charlie Goode is interesting (if there's anything in it). Goode is a player who is very capable and comfortable in possession, but is right footed, so would be ideally suited to RCB. That on paper would be a great signing, and could allow us to play Iorfa in, what I feel would be his best position, which is centrally.

In essence, we need two centre halves, one needs to be able to fill in at LCB, and the other, dependant who's available, could determine the role Iorfa plays this season for us. (Regarding Iorfa, I've no doubt, that with a strong pre-season under his belt, and hopefully a campaign without too many injury issues, he'll be a key player for us. At the start of last season before his injury, he was immense and looked a cut above)

• Like 2

On Brennan I think that’s a great move for him. I don’t think he’s ready for a team expected to win every week at the top of this league but for a team with promotion aspirations in the league below it’s a good fit. If he can cope with the physicality he has all the attributes to be a good player for us 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Yeah, I think Palmer will be utilised as an option in either of the wide centre half roles. He did a reasonable job last season, and as a versatile option to have in the squad, that could also fill in at RWB (and LWB) at certain points also.

Looking at what we've got:

Iorfa - Quick, aerially strong. Happy bringing the ball out of defence, but perhaps limited technically in terms of ball control and passing ability. I think he's ideally suited to the centre of the back three, with his ability to sweep and cover space in behind...but I'd imagine, he'll be utilised as a RCB primarily. 

Heneghan - Old fashioned type centre haf. He'll be an option in the middle of the back three. But, I think he'll be very much a back-up, who might be employed in certain matches, where the aerial bombardment is expected.

Ihiekwe - Comfortable playing in all three positions across the back. Left footed, so makes sense for him to be the 1st option at the LCB position, but looked comfortable last season playing as a RCB (when Wes Harding was employed at LCB for Rotherham)

Palmer - A solid back up option for both LCB and RCB positions

Right Centre Half - IORFA (Palmer) (Ihiekwe)

Centre Half - HENEGHAN (Iorfa) (Ihiekwe)

Left Centre Half - IHIEKWE (Palmer)

So, we've already got a degree of versatility within our limited options at centre half. 

I'd like another left sided centre half as a priority. I thought Purrington would've ticked a lot of boxes tbh (left footed, comfortable on the role, an alternative to Johnson at LWB in certain games/situations). Gibson is another interesting option if he is available...I genuinely think there's a very good player in there, if he can get some consistency and games under his belt.

And maybe another option to centrally... Dean is the obvious one. But that won't cheap, but he'll be a cut above most at this level. The links with Charlie Goode is interesting (if there's anything in it). Goode is a player who is very capable and comfortable in possession, but is right footed, so would be ideally suited to RCB. That on paper would be a great signing, and could allow us to play Iorfa in, what I feel would be his best position, which is centrally.

In essence, we need two centre halves, one needs to be able to fill in at LCB, and the other, dependant who's available, could determine the role Iorfa plays this season for us. (Regarding Iorfa, I've no doubt, that with a strong pre-season under his belt, and hopefully a campaign without too many injury issues, he'll be a key player for us. At the start of last season before his injury, he was immense and looked a cut above)

I may be mistaken, but I think Ihekwe is right footed, despite playing LCB a lot last year. 

Agree with you on the rest though pal. If you could guarantee fitness I’d be having another go at Gibson

2 hours ago, striker said:

Would be nice, but I think Palmer is a very capable CB at this level and presume we will have a recall clause on Brennan. 

One more definitely needed, but personally I'd prefer to spend our budget a little further up the pitch. Need another forward and desperate for cover in the wide areas. Vaulks also  maybe be away at the world cup for a few weeks 

That's where we went wrong last season

We started with Hutchinson, Iorfa, Dunkley and Gibson, all 4 got injured 

We had one game with Palmer, Patterson and Johnson as the 3 centre half's

That can't be allowed to happen again

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

That's where we went wrong last season

We started with Hutchinson, Iorfa, Dunkley and Gibson, all 4 got injured 

We had one game with Palmer, Patterson and Johnson as the 3 centre half's

That can't be allowed to happen again

Fair point, but can't legislate for injuries and losing all of those unprecedented.

That said, all have had their injury issues. Hutchinson we know about, Iorfa missed large chunks of seasons past, Gibson always injured, the lad has only played about 30 first team games in his entire career and Dunkley was signed injured.

Hopefully recruitment of more robust players who (touch wood) have better availability stats improves that dynamic.