SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I'd surprised if Gregory leaves, but given we've signed Smith, and potentially look close to signing Wilks, from the club's perspective, at the right price, there might be a deal to be done.

Given his form last season, you can see why he'd attract interest, and the opportunity to get around the £1m mark (which I think would be a fair price for a 33 year old), might be too much for Wednesday to turn down (and represent a affordable gamble for many Championship clubs). It presents an opportunity to reinvest in potentially a younger striker who could represent a sell on value later down the line.

Like others have said, I'm not sure Gregory would be particularly keen on leaving...but everybody has their price.

I can’t see it happening. We would need to be offered top dollar to sell and although Gregory was terrific it was only in League One. I think he’d be of interest to the type of Championship team who might expect to find themselves in a scrap to stay up. And those teams would struggle to spend £1mill or so on a player with no resale value. 

That said football is a crazy business and stranger things have happened….

27 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

He’s nearly 34 and has a year left on his deal which takes him to almost 35.

I personally get the impression this is a player who wants a new deal. 

Wednesday hold the cards here. I wouldn’t be looking to extend the deal of a player his age any longer than it already is. Assess in 12 months or sell if silly money is offered. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

3M for Joao been bid from Besitkas.  £600k to us for 20% sell on.

Be handy to cover the Wilks deal.

I dont think sell on clauses work like that it is usually x% of anything paid over and above what you paid.

Putting in to practice, you are getting him cheaper than what we think he is worth and want a slice of the pie if you make money on him in the future.

2 minutes ago, Rotherham Owl said:

I dont think sell on clauses work like that it is usually x% of anything paid over and above what you paid.

Putting in to practice, you are getting him cheaper than what we think he is worth and want a slice of the pie if you make money on him in the future.

Not all clauses are profit based. Some, potentially this one, are a percentage on future sale. Liverpool put a lot of the latter in.

We won’t know until it happens. If it’s 20% on a sale then great. If it’s 20% on profit then oh well.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/07/ings-ward-brewster-alberto-liverpool-transfer-contracts/amp/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Not all clauses are profit based. Some, potentially this one, are a percentage on future sale. Liverpool put a lot of the latter in.

We won’t know until it happens. If it’s 20% on a sale then great. If it’s 20% on profit then oh well.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/07/ings-ward-brewster-alberto-liverpool-transfer-contracts/amp/

Lets hope so then, this would mean our chairman has been very commercially minded, not how people see him on here.

58 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

No mention of which clubs... suspect that this is someone looking for attention, that said there is always someone looking for strikers who will pay silly money 

at his age £1.25 - 1.5 couldn't really be turned down bearing in mind his age and only 12 months on his contract 

12 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

That bloke speaking on behalf of Hull sounded like he fancied himself a bit and going public seems like an odd way to get our chairman to cough up more money. 

Bit cringe isn't it. 

Acting all Billy big b0llocks over a player they don't want and who a League One team is interested in. 

Not like we are talking about flipping Neymar here is it. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

3M for Joao been bid from Besitkas.  £600k to us for 20% sell on.

Be handy to cover the Wilks deal.

I reckon that's what Hull are thinking. They have Turkish owners they will be aware Joao could move to Besiktas giving us a little windfall. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I could foresee someone paying around £750k for Gregory. That and the sell on clause for Joao would actually leave us with enough to get someone like Jack Rudoni in for instance. 

The start of Moore's moneyball lol

Only a club with one of the worst financial records in Europe would pay that for an ageing striker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I reckon that's what Hull are thinking. They have Turkish owners they will be aware Joao could move to Besiktas giving us a little windfall. 

In that case move on, we aren't interested in playing their games 

Regarding Gregory The Star reported at the beginning of the month he was more likely to sign a new deal than leave following reported interest. I think someone wants a new deal and his agent has his ways, how many times was he linked with Wednesday in the past…

I wouldn’t be looking to extend his deal up until he’s nearly 36 myself. Players can go downhill fast at that age. 

• Like 1

Just now, 0114 said:

Regarding Gregory The Star reported at the beginning of the month he was more likely to sign a new deal than leave following reported interest. I think someone wants a new deal and his agent has his ways, how many times was he linked with Wednesday in the past…

I wouldn’t be looking to extend his deal up until he’s nearly 36 myself. Players can go downhill fast at that age. 

When you get to that age, I think you've pretty much got to prove yourself season after season. 

If Gregory starts this season in good form and is banging in goals, then slap a new deal in front of him. 

It's not in our interests imo to be tying ourselves down to multiple year deals for blokes in their mid 30s. 

• Like 3