SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yep - I’m not going to jump at the defence of the club here given issues we’ve had with pay and contracts in the past under this chairman. 

Unusual for two players to both take to social media to display frustration. Unprofessional on their behalf maybe, but shouldn’t happen if everything has been clear and transparent between both parties. 

I agree in Isolation but given how players get trolled and how fans are in social media or even those that have giving full support of them 

I wouldn’t leave the club and have the club portray it as something that it’s not even silence on the matter it’s not good enough 

fans expectations when the club announced was the retained list was that 4 players were being offered contracts

if those players turn down contracts they almost turn into  villans overnight 

There’s two sides to every story and it looks like both luongo and Mendez Laing has indicated that’s not their version of the story and 

Almost clear their name that they haven’t just waited all off season to turn us down 

because it’s very much what the club is having us believe 

I wouldn’t call it unprofessional, maybe they could have put a statement out on their social media but I’m guessing that opens doors to possible legal action or there’s something stopping that from happening 

either way I’d defend myself 💯 if something was allowed to be seen as something it’s not 

Once Luongo didn't turn up for training on Monday, I think it was pretty clear he'd not signed and would be going. He apparently tweeted a message indicating he'd not refused the contract but then again you can't blame the club for moving whilst he considered other offers. Sad to see him go, however.

40 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The situation is unprofessional imo. 

Breakdown in communication somewhere. 

Who knows whats gone off? At this stage all we've got is the clubs official statement and the player's online quip. As I say it'll  likely all come out in the wash.

I'm pleased personally though that the situation has been expedited and we're  moving on in what is a short pre-season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Once Luongo didn't turn up for training on Monday, I think it was pretty clear he'd not signed and would be going. He apparently tweeted a message indicating he'd not refused the contract but then again you can't blame the club for moving whilst he considered other offers. Sad to see him go, however.

Whatever the circumstances, the decision has been made, either by Luongo or the club effectively withdrawing their offer. 

Players knew pre season started on Monday, should have been in with the rest if he wanted to stay. 

I'm not too bothered about conspiracies, just focused on the players we have and wish the others who move on good luck for the future. 

• Like 4

Sad to see Luongo go, but I believe that wages We were giving him can be utilized better.

He is a really good League One player paid what good players in league above are usually on. Despite him starting most games in 2'nd half of last season his history of injury problems is a concern and could play important role next season.

We went on to replace him with good player who should be available for selection much more than Luongo used to be and who was hopefully signed on lower wages.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, fpowl said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he hasn’t directly turned them down to be fair 

it doesn’t sound like this has been handled well at all

away at Bolton last year one of the lads bumped into luongo after the game and asked what was happening with his contract 

said luongo looked frustrated and said don’t ask 

then he asked why he wasn’t travelling with the rest of the team 

luongos reply again don’t ask 

pal said it was very strange and obvious something wasn’t right 

then we reports that the club only offering contracts last week ( not sure how true this is or if this is the norm ) and both luongo and Mendez-Laing turn to social media to have some sort of indication say on the matter.

it’s all very strange. But you look at how some players have been treated by the club abd sone of the contract issues we’ve had under the chansiri reign and you’ve got to wonder who’s accountable for process and what is it?

for all we know the club could have waited until vaulks was pretty much confirmed offered luongo a terrible deal, luongos gone to negotiate and the clubs released a statement saying he’s turned us down. I’m not saying that’s happened or suggested it has but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was the case too 

Good post. Interesting. I must admit though that I thought I'd read that Hunt, Luongo, NML and Wildsmith had all been offered contracts a good while ago.... when the retained list was announced.

I hope that the club have acted appropriately. In the absence  of definitive evidence to the contrary I am at least pleased that things are being expedited in this shortened pre-season. Also it seems that we are cutting our cloth  more prudently than in the past.

13 minutes ago, striker said:

Whatever the circumstances, the decision has been made, either by Luongo or the club effectively withdrawing their offer. 

Players knew pre season started on Monday, should have been in with the rest if he wanted to stay. 

I'm not too bothered about conspiracies, just focused on the players we have and wish the others who move on good luck for the future. 

Agreed.

• Like 2

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

He’s had more than enough time to sign the thing, this is on him.

Neither you nor I know the ins and out of the negotiations so I’m not going to speculate. 

Listened to Warne yesterday on how he’s handled 2 players at 30 though and how important a contract this one is for a player there age and looks like they may keep one now though. 

As mentioned in another thread, Luongo has only played in 66 of 138 league games in the 3 years he's been here ..... Even Hutch played more (73) over the same number of matches!

Mass has had 3 years of a top end championship contract, if the new one offered reflects his availability over those 3 years & estimated future availability & the division we're in then so be it!

Maybe our club have stopped being a pushover!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Let’s be honest the way the club has been run by Chansiri nothing would surprise me when it comes to messing players about with contracts. 

You don’t half post some claptrap !!  #uto 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Neither you nor I know the ins and out of the negotiations so I’m not going to speculate. 

Listened to Warne yesterday on how he’s handled 2 players at 30 though and how important a contract this one is for a player there age and looks like they may keep one now though. 

I know the offer was made a while ago and I know he hasn’t signed it.

The club can’t wait around forever.