SWFC SUMMER 2022 TRANSFER RUMOUR MEGATHREAD - in memory of Gurujuan

15 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

He kept Iorfa out of the team because he was hopelessly in need of matches, lacking sharpness and as such lost all confidence.

When he played all season at centre back (19/20) and for the first few months of last season - he played at a level far above anything we saw from Storey.

For the first couple of months, it looked like we’d hardly concede a goal.

It always amazes me the short memory of football fans.

At the start of last season Iorfa was absolutely immense.

His performances away at Rotherham and away at Wigan were far above what any other centre back we had play for us last season achieved at any point.

Dom Iorfa match fit is a great player but only played 29 games in the last 2 seasons, hes had an ACL in that time and had numerous injuries limiting him to only 1,462 or about 16 full games last season

He needs to get match fit and stay match fit.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Dom Iorfa match fit is a great player but only played 29 games in the last 2 seasons, hes had an ACL in that time and had numerous injuries limiting him to only 1,462 or about 16 full games last season

He needs to get match fit and stay match fit.

Agreed

If him and Windass stay fit that’s two good Championship signings.

8 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

He kept Iorfa out of the team because he was hopelessly in need of matches, lacking sharpness and as such lost all confidence.

When he played all season at centre back (19/20) and for the first few months of last season - he played at a level far above anything we saw from Storey.

For the first couple of months, it looked like we’d hardly concede a goal.

It always amazes me the short memory of football fans.

At the start of last season Iorfa was absolutely immense.

His performances away at Rotherham and away at Wigan were far above what any other centre back we had play for us last season achieved at any point.

He was poor. I just don’t think he’s a CB mate. Like I’ve pointed out already he played RB consistently from being U18. Only under Monk has he consistently played CB & he was ok for 6 months IMO. 

It always amazes me how players are always better in fans heads when they’ve been injured. Iorfa is erratic and not dominant enough in the air. 

It’s gone way off topic, I just prefer Storey. It’s not this deep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

He was poor. I just don’t think he’s a CB mate. Like I’ve pointed out already he played RB consistently from being U18. Only under Monk has he consistently played CB & he was ok for 6 months IMO. 

It always amazes me how players are always better in fans heads when they’ve been injured. Iorfa is erratic and not dominant enough in the air. 

If you think Iorfa was poor at the start of the last season there’s no point continuing the debate.

He was outstanding.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I too prefer Storey, I too think Iorfa can be erratic, but I think if he lines up on the right side of a back three alongside someone dominant in the air he can more than do a job at this level. His pace can get him out of a lot of trouble in as part of a three has some license to use that moving forward too. 

In a back 4 though? Yeah, right behind you, not for me at all in the middle

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We was told the released list correct 

that’s the players we are not offering contracts to 

it’s also reported contracts was offered until last week 

reasons for this unknown maybe negotiating until a offer was presented 

maybe due to holidays 

maybe due to the club prioritising other business 

or maybe because we are lame 

I don’t know 

what I will say is both Mendez-Laing and wildsmith have rejected their offers and will leave luongo hasn’t of yet so something must be happening 

luongo Is quality at this level as soon as he was back in the team our performance picked up results followed and the midfield came alive 

I understand your concerns over his fitness since he’s been here but the second half of the season he played nearly every minute of every game In a gruelling fixture congested league 

we will have vaulks and adrienan back to help the player load next year 

for me our biggest signing this window is to tie luongo down he really does effectively change the way we play 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Hes played 64 games out of a possible 137 he has been injured or unavailable for over 50% of the games in the last 3 seasons.

When he plays, he is a great player but we need players for 40+ games a season not 20, we cannot afford to carry a player who has been injured off and on for 3 seasons.

I do like luongo, i just think the money on his championship wages could be spent on bringing in 2 or 3 good players. We were told the release list on 21st May and that 4 players had been offer contracts i would be very surprised if DC has sat on the contracts when the club said they were offered contracts when the release list was announced.

Agree with that. Vaulks and Luongo are of similar ability, though I'd give Vaulks the edge as he has a better strike on him. But the games played is a big factor. Lets save the money and use it on one or two younger players instead in different areas.

Still got no idea how we've ended up with Vaulks. Cardiff are muppets for letting a regular like him go. Very questionable move from Morrison.

And huge credit everyone for getting him in here.

I’d argue Vaulks is a better player than Luongo if am honest, similar types but I’d bet a large chunk Vaulks will also pose a goal threat at this level , more than Mass did 

Vaulks has more spectacular moments but his previous stats on some of the tackling and short passing haven’t been as good as Luongos albeit at a higher level and in a longer ball playing side. Both are exceptional for League one.

If I was Luongo and I wanted to force my way into the WC team then I’d be concerned about game time as he was this time last year when Adeniran came in. I’d like mass to stay as he’s quality but not at the expense of developing the likes of Adeniran and FDB who are the future 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Maybe other fans forget how a player was previous to injury.

You yourself said all of these things:-

October 18 2019

‘Iorfa really growing into CB. Space infront so runs into it. Fantastic.’

October 26 2019

‘him and Iorfa were colossal at the back, god knows how Ben White got MoM when these two played the way they did’

April 9 2020

‘Signing players like Iorfa for a few hundred thousands at 23 years old is the better business for us. ‘

May 10 2020

‘The previous 4 wins before Christmas all had Lees and Iorfa as CB.’

October 29 2020

‘We have some very good CB’s in Iorfa , Flint and Lees. We have 2 good CM in Luongo and Bannan’

May 14 2021

‘think we will be lucky to keep Iorfa .’

Aug 15 2021

‘Hutchinson & Iorfa look unbelievable together.’

Aug 17 2021

‘Unreal.

I didn’t even panic when that forward ended up two yards ahead of him running down on goal.

His pace is unbelievable, allows us to play the risk of leaving our centre halves slightly isolated on the half way line.’

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

If you think Iorfa was poor at the start of the last season there’s no point continuing the debate.

He was outstanding.

Played ok in the first 4 Charlton, Doncaster, Fleetwood & Rotherham.

But the next 10 he had some bad ones. 

Lost his runner for the 2nd v Plymouth from a set piece. 

Loses his man from a cross for Shrewsbury’s goal in the 1-1 draw. 

All over the place defending the Oxford match winner Henry in the last minute for their winner. Big lad like him should never be even giving him the chance to get a shot away, Iorfa should be touch tight bullying the lad. 

Lincoln at home. Guess who loses his man from the corner… again.  

He’s not a a proactive defender he’s a reactive defender. Pace solves his problems. Which is why he’s suited to RB, look at how many times he struggles with crosses into the box. 

• Like 1

I’d like to think that with the signings we’ve made so far and especially vaulks will encourage other good players to e are talking with to sway there decisions. 

looks like we are building a pretty good team for this league. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Maybe other fans forget how a player was previous to injury.

You yourself said all of these things:-

October 18 2019

‘Iorfa really growing into CB. Space infront so runs into it. Fantastic.’

October 26 2019

‘him and Iorfa were colossal at the back, god knows how Ben White got MoM when these two played the way they did’

April 9 2020

‘Signing players like Iorfa for a few hundred thousands at 23 years old is the better business for us. ‘

May 10 2020

‘The previous 4 wins before Christmas all had Lees and Iorfa as CB.’

October 29 2020

‘We have some very good CB’s in Iorfa , Flint and Lees. We have 2 good CM in Luongo and Bannan’

May 14 2021

‘think we will be lucky to keep Iorfa .’

Aug 15 2021

‘Hutchinson & Iorfa look unbelievable together.’

Aug 17 2021

‘Unreal.

I didn’t even panic when that forward ended up two yards ahead of him running down on goal.

His pace is unbelievable, allows us to play the risk of leaving our centre halves slightly isolated on the half way line.’

I have openly said in posts today I thought he played well during 2019 and even some of 2020 so I don’t get what your point is? I don’t think Iorfa had been poor in every single game he’s ever played for Wednesday!

Also the comments from this season are from the first 4 games where yet again I said he did play well. But that’s not good when you’re poor for the next 10. 

I think like many others I overvalued him, especially at CB. Watching him in L1 highlighted his weakness and seeing other CBs do the basics so much better. Looking back he was an ok in player in a lower end Championship team, he can do a job at CB bur he’s a liability long term. 

Like I said, his pace papers over the cracks. 

17 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Played ok in the first 4 Charlton, Doncaster, Fleetwood & Rotherham.

But the next 10 he had some bad ones. 

Lost his runner for the 2nd v Plymouth from a set piece. 

Loses his man from a cross for Shrewsbury’s goal in the 1-1 draw. 

All over the place defending the Oxford match winner Henry in the last minute for their winner. Big lad like him should never be even giving him the chance to get a shot away, Iorfa should be touch tight bullying the lad. 

Lincoln at home. Guess who loses his man from the corner… again.  

He’s not a a proactive defender he’s a reactive defender. Pace solves his problems. Which is why he’s suited to RB, look at how many times he struggles with crosses into the box. 

All true. Now to be fair, do the same for Storey. He cost us 4-5 goals and that’s just off the top of my head. A fit Dom Iorfa is more talented than Jordan Storey.

3 minutes ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

All true. Now to be fair, do the same for Storey. He cost us 4-5 goals and that’s just off the top of my head. A fit Dom Iorfa is more talented than Jordan Storey.

At fault for a couple certainly Fleetwood away being the obvious one. MK away possibly. 

Iorfa is worryingly letting players get away from him on crosses though, worrying trend for a CB. 

Iorfa has more pace and is a better RB, no doubt. CB, not for me. 

11 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think a fully fit Luongo is better than Vaulks to be fair.  

I think they could play together in all fairness in a 4231/352. Both quite well rounded. 

Luongo certainly has more to his game than just being able to protect a defence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

especially when tony Stuart has come out and said he’s turned bids down to sell the club and he’s upped the budget to make them a solid championship side not fighting relegation 

Well I'll be surprised if they're not fighting relegation. Clearly Millers have been forced to further increase their offers to retain the players.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think a fully fit Luongo is better than Vaulks to be fair.  

I initially thought they did the same thing but Luongo is a machine of a tackler and short passer whereas Vaulks doesn’t tackle as much but has a bit more power and quality going forward. I think we need a Luongo as he has provided the platform for some good form as a team. I think Adeniran could do it too though 

• Like 1