Gary Cahill

As you grow older you reach a certain point where no amount of experience and know how makes up for the lost physical ability. Judging by the amount of games Cahill has played in the last 2-3 seasons, I think he’s well past that point.

• Like 1

If he's willing to come for peanuts and we give the lad Brennan a chance this season along with a couple of younger CBs signings it would make sense as we won't have much experience at the back with leadership and organising skills. As I said though the deal would have to make sense if he did decide to drop down to league 1.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 11:37, oneeyedmilkman said:

Unless he promised a close friend or family member on their deathbed he would finish his career at wednesday, or he was being blackmailed, I can't see us offering the money, or him having the desire to play league 1.

Who knows what he would want paying. He will have earned a lot of money whilst playing for Chelsea and may decide to play for another club on say 3k a week, just so he can carry on playing.

13 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Who knows what he would want paying. He will have earned a lot of money whilst playing for Chelsea and may decide to play for another club on say 3k a week, just so he can carry on playing.

Wonder if he'd take the step down to being a player-assistant manager with a view to taking over as manager in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/05/2022 at 12:58, beswetherick said:

Vardy will still be rapid when he’s 45, plenty of time for him to come home yet

Speaking as a 44 year old.....no he won't

I thought I could still run quick until I played a charity game last month. Admittedly I was still faster than a lot of the players on the pitch but my brain was convinced I could get to passes and tackles that I would easily have gotten to in my 20's. I couldn't get anywhere near them, the legs just don't have it in them any more

At his age he’s achieved everything he’s going to achieve in his career 

would a return to his boyhood club for a promotion challenge to end his career be out of the question?

I don’t think so, gets him back home and ticks a few boxes 

it comes down to Cahill himself can he get more money playing at a higher level, maybe

Or moving back to Sheffield, playing for his club and possibly getting them promoted be a higher motive?

I don’t think it’s unrealistic, season long contract with another option maybe. Obviously from our part it all comes down to finances and in his part that maybe an option

theres no long term plan there but any league one club would benefit having Gary Cahill in the changing room and around the place short term and if we’re bringing in a few young defenders like that tucker and co that have all played lower level in training and playing along Cahill would do wonders for their development and setting them up to playing with us a higher level 

• Haha 1

I’d take Cahill in a heart beat but just don’t think it’s realistic. He will likely have better options such as moving abroad. 

He’s just played a part of a promotion to the PL and his 2 years prior to that he was part of a very solid Palace side. I doubt his ability has nosedived the way some are suggesting. 

If Rotherham can get promoted with a 36 year old Richard Wood in the heart of their defence then I’m sure Sheffield Wednesday can with a 36 year old Gary Cahill. 

• Like 3

On 21/05/2022 at 15:22, sethman75 said:

Maybe as a player coach it would be good for us

Only if his manager was John Terry ...

Since Terry packed up he's been sucking his thumb warming benches and picking up a right packet ...

If he really loves the club and wants to come to Hillsborough apply for a season ticket .....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I’d take Cahill in a heart beat but just don’t think it’s realistic. He will likely have better options such as moving abroad. 

He’s just played a part of a promotion to the PL and his 2 years prior to that he was part of a very solid Palace side. I doubt his ability has nosedived the way some are suggesting. 

If Rotherham can get promoted with a 36 year old Richard Wood in the heart of their defence then I’m sure Sheffield Wednesday can with a 36 year old Gary Cahill. 

And MK Dons finishing 3rd with a 37 (now 38!) year old Dean Lewington playing 46 games...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woodyowl450 said:

Christ you could say get Messi in on here and some people would still say no alongside something sarcastic about squad age. 

clearly a no brainer if he actually wanted to come, which I'm sure he doesn't.

Could we afford him?

Surely he'd be on nearly as much as Bannan.

4 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Wonder if he'd take the step down to being a player-assistant manager with a view to taking over as manager in the future.

I've always thought that Hutch would do this, well maybe player coach.