Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Looks as if he was substituted after an hour in the next match vs Accrington at home then brought on as a sub in the next after that away to Gillingham….I think! 

Yeah he was, he wasn't great against Accrington.

 

I agree Gillingham away isn't Saido's type of game, I fully get that point.

 

It's more the idea that Moore dropped him directly after scoring at hat trick that winds me up, If we're going to judge Moore we have to judge him on the facts.

 

Not saying you were calling Moore out there btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TrendOwl said:

I didn't want to see Sam leave, but perhaps that's looking like a brighter pointer to the fact we are looking for even better players

I see what you mean, but shouldn’t we be doing that all the time?  It’s not like we have a squad of world beaters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, victorturner said:

Sorry if that was a slip.
Was the next match vs Gillingham away? Not a match suited to him. Strong non football playing side who put in lots of physical effort . 

A bit like so many of our players who are good at home. Our style and fragility is suited to home matches where we play the mediocre off the park. Our midfield in particular. 

 

 Bit like Rhodes at Forest away under Monk, we had a striker brimming with confidence, a key ingredient,  after a hat trick , and acted as if we could not believe it and he slipped out of being in the first pick after one game where he was indifferent. 
At one stage we were trying N M-L upfront instead.

 

As you say, Gillingham away wasn't a match likely to suit Berahino, so we started with the more physical Paterson instead.

 

I don't see the issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

He played the next game in which he didn't play well.

 

We need to stop this narrative that Moore dropped him after the Cambridge game, he didn't.


I think people are confusing it with the Gregory - Berahino partnership.

 

After annihilating Cambridge 6-0 Moore chose not to start the pairing again for ages.

 

Cambridge   Gregory Berahino

Accrington    Paterson Berahino 

Gillingham    Paterson Gregory

Cheltenham Gregory NML (Saido away with Burundi)

Wimbledon  Gregory NML

Bolton           Gregory NML

MKD Dons   Gregory Berahino

 

That was very odd management.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/05/2022 at 10:55, Maddogbob said:

I'll be surprised if Luongo doesn't return to Australia.

That’s where I think he’ll be off to he will have national squad in his sights at his age it might his last chance to play in a World Cup if they make it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/05/2022 at 10:10, @owlstalk said:

The Owls can confirm our player retention list following the conclusion of the 2021/22 season.

Saido Berahino, Chey Dunkley and Sam Hutchinson will be released upon the expiry of their current contracts, while the club have exercised an option to retain Marvin Johnson.

New contract offers have been made to Jack Hunt, Massimo Luongo, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Joe Wildsmith.

Loanees Harlee Dean, Lewis Gibson, Tyreece John-Jules, Florian Kamberi, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Olamide Shodipo and Jordan Storey return to their parent clubs.

Sheffield Wednesday would like to thank all departing players for their services and wish them well for the future.

Why players like Wildsmith would be happy to spend their careers sitting on their arsse is beyond me.

its been obvious for a long time that he and Dawson are not up to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fpowl said:

That’s where I think he’ll be off to he will have national squad in his sights at his age it might his last chance to play in a World Cup if they make it 

I would be surprised if he does end up back at QPR, a cheap decent player, definitely a championship quality player, but big question marks over his fitness, only 37 games in last 2 seasons.

 

Hes a great player for us, but him moving on maybe allows us to sign a Longstaff, Rudoni or Dennis get a regular run in the team. We then have a player increasing in value to us and in the transfer market instead of a player on the decline. 

 

It would be a big shift in policy from, the last 3 or 4 years we have look to improve younger players very little, instead bringing season pros nearer to 30 than 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, owlsdreamer said:

Why players like Wildsmith would be happy to spend their careers sitting on their arsse is beyond me.

its been obvious for a long time that he and Dawson are not up to it.

Dawson has had a great season on loan at Exeter.  He may well come back a significantly improved player next season. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

 

As you say, Gillingham away wasn't a match likely to suit Berahino, so we started with the more physical Paterson instead.

 

I don't see the issue?

The issue on my mind was that Berahino scored a hat trick but then was then not fully used immediately afterwards. Strikers thrive on confidence but according to someone on here, he did not start again until the match vs MK Dons (where he scored an outstanding goal)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:


I think people are confusing it with the Gregory - Berahino partnership.

 

After annihilating Cambridge 6-0 Moore chose not to start the pairing again for ages.

 

Cambridge   Gregory Berahino

Accrington    Paterson Berahino 

Gillingham    Paterson Gregory

Cheltenham Gregory NML (Saido away with Burundi)

Wimbledon  Gregory NML

Bolton           Gregory NML

MKD Dons   Gregory Berahino

 

That was very odd management.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was odd management although of course we do not know all the off the field/traning ground circumstances. I believe he only played for an hour against Accrington. I can recall people , after Berahino's hat trick ,  asking where that partnership had gone and bemoaning the fact that N M-L was being used as a striker to play with Gregory when he wasn't a great finisher. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

That’s where I think he’ll be off to he will have national squad in his sights at his age it might his last chance to play in a World Cup if they make it 

He won't get in the National team by playing out here, imo. The football out here is, well, not even as good as it was just a few years ago, again, imo. Needs some continuity in his football, not to be reinventing himself at another club at 29. He has a valued role here, and he certainly will not play in front of bigger crowds elsewhere, which even he acknowledged. I hope he stays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

The issue on my mind was that Berahino scored a hat trick but then was then not fully used immediately afterwards. Strikers thrive on confidence but according to someone on here, he did not start again until the match vs MK Dons (where he scored an outstanding goal)

 

He started the very next game at home to Accrington three days later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

I would be surprised if he does end up back at QPR, a cheap decent player, definitely a championship quality player, but big question marks over his fitness, only 37 games in last 2 seasons.

 

Hes a great player for us, but him moving on maybe allows us to sign a Longstaff, Rudoni or Dennis get a regular run in the team. We then have a player increasing in value to us and in the transfer market instead of a player on the decline. 

 

It would be a big shift in policy from, the last 3 or 4 years we have look to improve younger players very little, instead bringing season pros nearer to 30 than 20.

Can’t disagree on any of that 

 

I do think we need a balance of age and youth or should I say experience and youth 

 

and the early signs of rumours are to be true are good being linked with much younger players on frees or got cheap

 

I’m a big believer in you gave to plan for player sales to balance your books in today’s football finance 

 

I do also think you need a blend of youth and experience and our squad is ageing 

 

that said, releasing players like hutch and dunkley is going towards being in a younger team 

 

I’d always have a senior player in each department even if just to help the younger ones 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

Why players like Wildsmith would be happy to spend their careers sitting on their arsse is beyond me.

its been obvious for a long time that he and Dawson are not up to it.

True but think you’re answering your own question there. He probably gets more to stay here than go elsewhere, and staying here mean he doesn’t have to play many games and is seen as Sheffield Wednesday’s back up keeper. If he goes to a smaller league 1 and 2 club, not only will he get less money but if he has to play games  inevitably he’ll mess it up like he always does and then get released. From there it’s non-league and goodbye.

 

Rationally he’ll stay here as long as we offer him contracts, then when he eventually leaves he’s got max 2 seasons before he’s no longer a pro. Better for him if he can string it out as long as possible.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, fpowl said:

That’s where I think he’ll be off to he will have national squad in his sights at his age it might his last chance to play in a World Cup if they make it 

I don't think his body can cope with the rigorous of UK football anymore. The pace over here is alot slower. It'll suit him more.

 

Great player though, love watching him play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, victorturner said:

But was substituted after an hour and the next game he was only a sub.

 

You said yourself that Gillingham away was "not a match suited to him", though. 

 

Clearly Moore thought the same and went with Paterson alongside Gregory.

 

I don't see the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Dawson has had a great season on loan at Exeter.  He may well come back a significantly improved player next season. 

Forget about any promotion challenge next season if he does

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, owlsdreamer said:

Forget about any promotion challenge next season if he does


It's impossible to envisage one of the top GKs from L2 last season becoming a top L1 keeper next year?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...