RETAINED LIST

7 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

Thought Luongo would be off.

He was a revelation when he came back from injury but seemed to rust up exponentially with each game he played thereafter right up to the Sunderland games where he was well off the pace and FDB would've been better.

His passing got worse as well. 
Hopefully, if he stays, a full summer of recovery will see him be the player he can and should be.

Luongo probably will still be off.

From memory in the last couple of years when we’ve released the retained list we’ve said we’ve offered contracts to Fletcher, Fox, Forestieri and Ozaze but the contracts were declined.

So today doesn’t really tell us anything about Luongo other than we’ve offered him a contract which we expected anyway 

3 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

We won’t have three senior keepers on our books in the Pub League.

We did last season

BPF, Dawson and Wildsmith

We will bring in a new keeper

If Wildsmith stays, either he or Dawson will go out on loan

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

25 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Does that indicate we’re trying to trim the wage bill?

Hutch, Berahino and Dunkley will all have been on decent wages.

It’s probably freed up around £1.5m a year in wages releasing those 3

I think it’s a case of DM thinking ahead. None of these 3 players would have been regular starters next season and all are getting near the end of their careers.

Its a case of getting younger, faster and fitter players in for next season.

Sorry to see Hutch go, but it’s probably the right call.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Hutch was having errors creep in

Take off the hutch tinted specs for a second and realise that it's the right time for him to go

^^^^^^^^^^This 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't understand the love in, he's been a good player for us when fit, but it's time to find someone younger, fitter, and cheaper

Moore could have given Hutch another season and he might have been injured for the majority of it

We can't take that chance

3 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

He's well paid here though isn't he, when you bear in mind we're in League One I don't see how he'd get a deal close to the one he has here. Wildsmith being offered a new deal makes me think the plan might be to give Dawson a go as number one next season.

Not a chance Dawson will be number one here next season

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

So Dawson and Wildsmith will be our keepers. There’s no other way to read that. 

Maybe they are selling Dawson, bringing in a new 1st choice and retaining Wildsmith as back up, only time will tell.

• Like 2

I'm quite happy with the retained list

I think NML never really looked fit, if we can get a decent pre-season into him, he may be a shrewd signing by Moore

I can see us looking to bring in 3 centre halfs, so we may be slow off the mark again, unless we can get Storey and Dean back

I also think we will bring in a new keeper, If Wildsmith stays, then I think we will be looking to sell Dawson

I presume we will only be offereing one year deals so I don't think Luongo will stay, not sure Hunt will either

We need a young hungry striker, some people won't like this but I'd be trying to bring George Hirst in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, owls79 said:

Interesting with wildsmith can see Dawson leaving now.

Agree with this version. Dawson's saleable value has risen, especially to Exter. Wildsmith is ok and happy to be on the bench. I think Moore will go with someone experienced in goal.

24 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We will sign another keeper and send one of Wildesmith or Dawson out on loan like we did this season

What would be the point of that? Wildsmith if he has sense won't sign again . He should decline and look for a new club so he can play. Dawson may also leave as he wants to be number one now after last season. 

6 minutes ago, Billque said:

Maybe they are selling Dawson, bringing in a new 1st choice and retaining Wildsmith as back up, only time will tell.

Maybe that's what Moore would accept but Wildsmith if he has any sense won't sign to be a backup and should leave and get a new  club.

3 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

What would be the point of that? Wildsmith if he has sense won't sign again . He should decline and look for a new club so he can play. Dawson may also leave as he wants to be number one now after last season. 

Dawson is under contract so can only leave if the club agree to it

Who knows what Wildesmith wants

And the point is, we will sign a keeper better than both like we did last season

And if Wildsmith signs, and we don't sell Dawson, we will send one out on loan to get first team experience like we did last season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vulva said:

We got nearly 90 points this season and scored loads. Why do people want a ‘different formation’. All we need is some better players in the plan we have. Keep it simple. 

Not necessarily wanting a different formation, just acknowledging that DM fell into a system that works in 352 but I still thinks he fancies us as a 4231 side. Watching Sunderland do us playing that system might have rekindled something for him. Hutch was perfect in a back 3 and could have had at least another year there so his release is puzzling, unless DM wants a couple of big, fast CB’s in a 2. Also,  NML is never a wingback, nor a striker, so an attempt to retain him makes me think he might want him as an out and out winger. Lots of suppositions I know, but there’s bugger all else to do at the moment.

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
5 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Am I being stupid or when it says 'contract offers' does that mean the players have accepted them? Or they still have the option to leave? 

I can confirm that you’re being stupid 

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

Unless Dawson will be allowed to sign for another club, possibly Exeter, if he wants to leave, Wildsmith is regarded a cheap option for the reserve keeper position, and that frees up enough cash to bring in a decent no.1?

Anyhow Dale, if you hadn't been so optimistic with your play off prediction and jinxed it, we would've gone up. I blame you lol

lol

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

The loan market is the biggest unknown. So far we have actually only released three players. The loanees make up the biggest chunk of the departures. If we can replace them with better loanees then things could go well. If we fail in the loan market we will struggle. 
Last year I think our biggest challenge was recruiting for the wrong system. If we recruit for 3-5-2 I think we’ll do ok. 

Loanees have indeed been an important component and whether we can get the same quality,  and afford the same loanee budget,  will be key ( assuming we have been paying part of the wages of each loanee) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

He gives cover though at either right or left wing back.

Johnson and Hunt aren’t going to play all 46 league games.

And apart from in the play off semi, NML is generally a decent option off the bench 

Although our manager likes to think players can play out of position, I hope we have learnt that NM-L is not a rwb after the second leg concession of that goal. He is not a striker either as DM demonstrated to us.