RETAINED LIST

Just now, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Offering NML a contract is a strange one.

You look at Johnson and Hunt and they look ideal in a 352, good defensively and get crosses into the box early.

NML likes to start wide attack and cut in and often hangs into the ball. Looks like he is suited to a 442 with a full back doing the defensive duties.

There is no doubt he is quite strong when running with the ball and I think Moore will try him with Gregory again.

He gives cover though at either right or left wing back.

Johnson and Hunt aren’t going to play all 46 league games.

And apart from in the play off semi, NML is generally a decent option off the bench 

I think Moore should be trusted with our transfer dealings.

Sad to see Hutch go for sentimental reasons, but him, Dunkley, and Berahino going seems good decision making to me if you put head above heart.

Wildsmith though. I'll think about it for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He is 31 before the new season starts and only managed 6 games for us in his time here.

A two year age gap is not reducing the overall age of the squad.

lol

It will with Tucker and Gibson at the side of him.

• Haha 1

A few (probably wrong) conclusions from today’s retention list:

1. We are going to switch back to a 4-3-3 - releasing CD’s is one clue but also offering NML a contract who can play wise in a front 3.

2. Offering Wildsmith a new deal maybe because they want him to follow the Dawson route e.g. improve out on loan with regular playing time in L2 and then return to fight for his place at SWFC. Keepers mature later in their careers so he still has plenty of time.

3. Isn’t there a rule you can only have 21 players over 21 in your squad (minus keepers) in league 1. So Moore needs to reduce the number of over 21’s so he can bring some others in.

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

Everything about the football side as improved since Dawson's last spell with us ie the spirit in the dressing room the football philopshy its a far better place for him now to prove his worth

Yes if Dawson does start the season as number 1 fans have got to get behind him. Even if he makes a mistake or two there’s no benefit getting on his back 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, modboy said:

If Dawson wants to stay at Exeter I hope we make it possible for him.

Lowish fee with add-ons etc.

He deserves this chance.

He’s reportedly on nearly 10k a week at Wednesday. Exeter aren’t going to pay him that. The only way he goes back to Exeter is another loan with us subsidising his wages again 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

He gives cover though at either right or left wing back.

Johnson and Hunt aren’t going to play all 46 league games.

And apart from in the play off semi, NML is generally a decent option off the bench 

Can't disagree with what you are saying,he is a different type of player and sometimes you need to make that change.

Not sure NML would be happy as a back up and would it be good value for money to have him in that role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

So Dawson and Wildsmith will be our keepers. There’s no other way to read that. 

Unless Dawson will be allowed to sign for another club, possibly Exeter, if he wants to leave, Wildsmith is regarded a cheap option for the reserve keeper position, and that frees up enough cash to bring in a decent no.1?

Anyhow Dale, if you hadn't been so optimistic with your play off prediction and jinxed it, we would've gone up. I blame you lol

• Haha 2

A little surprised that Hutch and Berahino weren’t extended, but only because I didn’t think Moore would be that ruthless. Everything else seems like straightforwardly the obvious move. 

12 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

He’s reportedly on nearly 10k a week at Wednesday. Exeter aren’t going to pay him that. The only way he goes back to Exeter is another loan with us subsidising his wages again 

Jeez if he's on that much I wouldn't be going anywhere for a year.

Though weren't Cardiff subsidising his wages with us?

Edited by modboy

2 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

A little surprised that Hutch and Berahino weren’t extended, but only because I didn’t think Moore would be that ruthless. Everything else seems like straightforwardly the obvious move. 

Does that indicate we’re trying to trim the wage bill?

Hutch, Berahino and Dunkley will all have been on decent wages.

It’s probably freed up around £1.5m a year in wages releasing those 3

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Does that indicate we’re trying to trim the wage bill?

Hutch, Berahino and Dunkley will all have been on decent wages.

It’s probably freed up around £1.5m a year in wages releasing those 3

We should give that to George HIrst

And get promoted

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Am I being stupid or when it says 'contract offers' does that mean the players have accepted them? Or they still have the option to leave? 

I think it means offered, not accepted, yet. I think Loungo will leave.

Just now, modboy said:

Jeez if he's on that much I wouldn't be going anywhere for a year

Signed a deal under Monk (just before the first lockdown) when we were still in the championship that reportedly keeps him here until summer 2024 on nearly 10k a week.

So I think with Dawson we’ll either have to play him or loan him out for the next two seasons 

Thought Luongo would be off.

He was a revelation when he came back from injury but seemed to rust up exponentially with each game he played thereafter right up to the Sunderland games where he was well off the pace and FDB would've been better.

His passing got worse as well. 
Hopefully, if he stays, a full summer of recovery will see him be the player he can and should be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

So Dawson and Wildsmith will be our keepers. There’s no other way to read that. 

We will sign another keeper and send one of Wildesmith or Dawson out on loan like we did this season

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.