RETAINED LIST

Just now, Ray Von shabba said:

Early days yet though and I'm sure there will be rationale behind the decisions we are not aware of.

Not getting frustrated yet, let's see how it pans out in the coming weeks.

I would like to see attempts to bring Dean and BPF back though.

Very sensible post. The key here is we really don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. Those offered new deals could well be on reduced terms, and they still may not sign. 

Wildsmith I don’t get but can’t help but think the club might just be trying to cover it’s bases. Plus, personally I think he’ll leave. 

Hutch would be great back room staff for players unless he still wants to play. 

Interesting Summer ahead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

We got nearly 90 points this season and scored loads. Why do people want a ‘different formation’. All we need is some better players in the plan we have. Keep it simple. 

Agree scoring even though we had only 1 decent striker in Gregory wasn't a big issue.

Bigger issue was defending particularly from set peices so this needs addressing. 

The loan market is the biggest unknown. So far we have actually only released three players. The loanees make up the biggest chunk of the departures. If we can replace them with better loanees then things could go well. If we fail in the loan market we will struggle. 
Last year I think our biggest challenge was recruiting for the wrong system. If we recruit for 3-5-2 I think we’ll do ok. 

• Like 1

Pathetic the way people are going off about Dawson and Wildsmith 

We’ve written Dawson off again before he’s even turned back up

Too many on here would be absolutely buzzing if we went out and signed some old dosser like Westwood on a pay as you play deal or some nonsense wouldn’t they 

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally would bring in another keeper to compete with Dawson. I want top 2 and if those 2 keepers perform like they have done in the past for us, there is absolutely no chance of automatics. I don’t want to levee anything to chance. Dawson has had a great season at Exeter but being a GK for Wednesday with the kop behind you is a different proposition altogether. 

Fair enough. I personally have my doubts thay anyone we could attract as a bench warming keeper would have past experience of performing in front of big crowds.

We would likely be looking at a youngster with minimal experience. Which would be at least as risky as having wildsmith as backup. 

• Like 1

Overall i think Darren's got this right

Hutch great servant but showed his age in the playoffs. Will free up quite a bit of wages I'd imagine.

NML was touch and go but i predict a big year from him if we can find his correct place in the XI. Good player for this level.

Wildsmith a dependable backup who plods on with minimum fuss and is (probably) very cheap wage wise.

Luongo was integral to our upturn in form and only a mad man would release him. My only fear is that he was playing for a contract extension and will revert back to the injury prone wage collector we saw of him previous to this season.

Time to kick on and bring some young, hungry players in hopefully. Easier said than done however.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vulva said:

We got nearly 90 points this season and scored loads. Why do people want a ‘different formation’. All we need is some better players in the plan we have. Keep it simple. 

Stop talking common sense. It won’t catch on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vulva said:

100%.

Anyone who wants Moore to try to find a new formation wants their bumps feeling.

• Like 3

Think the fact all the players in question are roughly around 30 years of age played a part. With an eye on the future and lowering the age of the squad it simply wasn’t feasible to retain Hutch, Hunt, Dunkley, Berahino, Johnson, Luongo and NML. Some of them were going to have to go to make way for younger blood.

That said, like most, I’d have ditched NML before I got rid of Hutch or Berahino.

Hoped I’d never see Dawson and Wildsmith vying for #1 again but looks like that’s what we’re getting. If we’re to have any chance of automatics Dawson needs to come back from Exeter a significantly improved keeper.

And I dont get why everyone thinks Luongo will get a championship move. He’s missed far more games than he’s played in the last two years, is about to turn 30 and has been part of a team that got relegated then failed to get back up. Doubt there’ll be clubs from the league above queuing up to sign him. 

32 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally would bring in another keeper to compete with Dawson. I want top 2 and if those 2 keepers perform like they have done in the past for us, there is absolutely no chance of automatics. I don’t want to levee anything to chance. Dawson has had a great season at Exeter but being a GK for Wednesday with the kop behind you is a different proposition altogether. 

So basically a few hundred Exeter fans cheering him on & he performs..............thousands of Owls fans jeering him & he doesn't....................not for me then......needs to man up or ship out

36 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Agree scoring even though we had only 1 decent striker in Gregory wasn't a big issue.

Bigger issue was defending particularly from set peices so this needs addressing. 

We can't expect to concede 50 goals and make the top 2. We need to be much better at the back next season. 

14 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

That topic was an article saying he won’t get a new deal. He’s been given one. 

It said he was leaving didn’t it, not that he hadn’t been offered a deal.

He could still go if a championship club offered him something, but he said when he signed last summer he likes this area to be nearer to family. Could be Rotherham in for him I guess, but would expect we’d be able to match their wages anyway 

Offering NML a contract is a strange one.

You look at Johnson and Hunt and they look ideal in a 352, good defensively and get crosses into the box early.

NML likes to start wide attack and cut in and often hangs into the ball. Looks like he is suited to a 442 with a full back doing the defensive duties.

There is no doubt he is quite strong when running with the ball and I think Moore will try him with Gregory again.

8 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

So basically a few hundred Exeter fans cheering him on & he performs..............thousands of Owls fans jeering him & he doesn't....................not for me then......needs to man up or ship out

Everything about the football side as improved since Dawson's last spell with us ie the spirit in the dressing room the football philopshy its a far better place for him now to prove his worth

• Like 2