RETAINED LIST

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Surprised by Hutchinson.

Appreciate he made that mistake in the first leg, but I thought he was by and large excellent tbh.

Ability to play anywhere along the back three was very useful.

Oh well. Suppose it depends on what we bring in.

Have to agree Hutchinson made a big error in the first leg but made 5 or 6 last ditch tackles/blocks over the 2 legs. Would have given him another year. Dunkley and Berhanio not really that fussed neither quite good enough to make a shirt there's.

• Like 1

Bit disappointed at the stick Dawson is getting already. 

Yes he struggled in the Championship but so did the rest of the squad. He's had a great season with Exeter and his confidence must be brimming. Let's not bring him down already before he's even stepped foot on the pitch.

Big difference between L1 and the Championship so I've every faith that he'd be up to the job at hand. He's worth a shot if it means we can bring in another player with the money saved.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Sir Says said:

I wonder if Wildsmith being offered a contract is to ensure we get a fee for him if he signs for someone else as he came through our academy. 

Yeh was thinking the same but he's getting on now isn't he?

He really needs to prioritize first team football now, even if it's conference level etc or he'll regret his career (but perhaps not bank account).

So 10 players leaving we the loan players only 1 senior centre back and hes been injured for 2 season. What could possibly go wrong.

wildsmith has played 67 games in 8 season and he needed moving on, Dawson while his stock is higher i would do the same, neither are the keeper we need at this level or the next.

we need at least 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 1 target man striker and some legs in midfield and most importantly a competent keeper. 8-10 players another summer of upheavals and we need players in early for a full preseason and to be ready for game 1 not game 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the contracts we have offered are on reduced terms so might be that Luongo, Mendez Laing and Wildsmith reject the contracts and move on. Wouldn't be too fussed if Wildsmith moves on. Hardly played last year and may want to play first team football (at a lower level). If we stick with the 3,5,2 system we will need to sign 3 centre backs as if leaves us with Iorfa and Brennan at present.

• Haha 1

So current squad is:

Dawson

Wildsmith ?

Palmer

Iorfa

Brennan

Johnson

Brown

J. Hunt ?

Adeniran

Byers

Bannan

Dele-Bashiru

A. Hunt

Mendez-Laing ?

Luongo ?

Gregory

Windass

Paterson

Sow

Edited by Johnny Fantham

Really surprised by some of the decisions. Thought Hutchinson and Berahino would still be with us and that we'd release Wildsmith and Mendez-Laing.

Wildsmith is at an age where he needs to be playing regularly for the sake of his career not warming the bench for us with the odd cup game.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agreed. Sunderland game to one side, he was faultless most of the season for me. 

Wycombe away.

Wimbledon home.

Sunderland semi

He had a poor end to the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Early days yet though and I'm sure there will be rationale behind the decisions we are not aware of.

Not getting frustrated yet, let's see how it pans out in the coming weeks.

I would like to see attempts to bring Dean and BPF back though.

Gutted about Hutch though.

Edited by Ray Von shabba

35 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Bit disappointed at the stick Dawson is getting already. 

Yes he struggled in the Championship but so did the rest of the squad. He's had a great season with Exeter and his confidence must be brimming. Let's not bring him down already before he's even stepped foot on the pitch.

Big difference between L1 and the Championship so I've every faith that he'd be up to the job at hand. He's worth a shot if it means we can bring in another player with the money saved.

Glad someone made this point. 

Dawson's last game for us was almost 2 years ago. He's just had an outstanding promotion season with Exeter. Needs our backing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Why? 

Do you think we could attract a better keeper who is happy to sit on the bench at a league 1 club?

Personally would bring in another keeper to compete with Dawson. I want top 2 and if those 2 keepers perform like they have done in the past for us, there is absolutely no chance of automatics. I don’t want to levee anything to chance. Dawson has had a great season at Exeter but being a GK for Wednesday with the kop behind you is a different proposition altogether. 

• Like 2