Thank you Sam Hutchinson

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

So was BPF gifting a goal to Ipswich to drop two points.

Could point to numerous individual players who cost us points this season.

Can’t pin failure to get promoted on one mistake in one game. Play offs are a lottery. NML and Palmer not doing their jobs for the Sunderland equaliser in the second leg just as costly for me.

Here's one for you then

What about Chris Woods in the cup final?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, FlyingOwl said:

It was 

But it shouldn’t define his career here. Nor is it the defining reason we didn’t go up. We had enough chances in that second leg to right the wrongs of the first. 

Id say a bigger reason we didn’t go up is not being able to hang on in the final minutes of games.

A mistake leading to a goal in a tie where we lost by one goal is a pretty concrete reason we lost the tie. 

Also yes that comedy Sunday league goal we conceded at home too. 

To say it's not a reason we lost is bizarre, let's get real. 

Just now, Owls2k said:

A mistake leading to a goal in a tie where we lost by one goal is a pretty concrete reason we lost the tie. 

Also yes that comedy Sunday league goal we conceded at home too. 

To say it's not a reason we lost is bizarre, let's get real. 

Too many variables in a game of football. Can’t pin it on one mistake. We got back in the tie and then blew it through lack of discipline and organisation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So was BPF gifting a goal to Ipswich to drop two points.

Could point to numerous individual players who cost us points this season.

Can’t pin failure to get promoted on one mistake in one game. Play offs are a lottery. NML and Palmer not doing their jobs for the Sunderland equaliser in the second leg just as costly for me.

This is a thread about Hutch mate. 

Playoffs aren't a lottery, we were just found out by a better manager, an individual error and an inability to defend properly (whilst being coached by an ex defender for over a year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 very distinct phases of his career here

Phase 1- the Gray year.  Ran around chopping people mainly and did little else.

Phase 2 - the first two Carlos years.  Peak Hutchinson, season two especially was absolutely outstanding at times but injuries and suspensions rack up

phase 3- the boot into the stiffs under Jos and monk. 
phase 4- the return , a shadow of the player in phase 2 and ultimately not a successful signing.

great innings overall though and that phase 2 he was one hell of a player/ 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

This is a thread about Hutch mate. 

Playoffs aren't a lottery, we were just found out by a better manager, an individual error and an inability to defend properly (whilst being coached by an ex defender for over a year).

They are a lottery. Complete lottery. You can’t define a season on two games.

Its a mini cup competition. The concept is barmy and the pressure ridiculous. Entertaining to watch for a neutral but the top three teams should go up on merit. 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Too many variables in a game of football. Can’t pin it on one mistake. We got back in the tie and then blew it through lack of discipline and organisation. 

If you'd have been the Liverpool gaffer you'd have given Karius a 15 year contract after that Champions League final wouldn't you garymegson

• Haha 1

Just now, Owls2k said:

If you'd have been the Liverpool gaffer you'd have given Karius a 15 year contract after that Champions League final wouldn't you garymegson

No because he’s not a world class keeper. Yet he made a mistake in a game which is amplified because of its magnitude. 

This is football! 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

They are a lottery. Complete lottery. You can’t define a season on two games.

Its a mini cup competition. The concept is barmy and the pressure ridiculous. Entertaining to watch for a neutral but the top three teams should go up on merit. 

A lottery ≠ mini cup competition

It's different yes, but not a lottery. Sunderland, their manager and poorer squad of players handled it far better than us and deserved to go to Wembley.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

A lottery ≠ mini cup competition

It's different yes, but not a lottery. Sunderland, their manager and poorer squad of players handled it far better than us and deserved to go to Wembley.

Verging off topic, but our squad was not better than Sunderland’s. Both similar quality and I’d argue they had better attacking players. 

Stewart, Pritchard and Roberts would all immediately improve us. Batth and Wright at the back no different to our centre back options. 

We were only 1 point better than them over the season. Very similar levels of quality. But agree, Neil did a job on us. His experienced showed. 

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

4 very distinct phases of his career here

Phase 1- the Gray year.  Ran around chopping people mainly and did little else.

Phase 2 - the first two Carlos years.  Peak Hutchinson, season two especially was absolutely outstanding at times but injuries and suspensions rack up

phase 3- the boot into the stiffs under Jos and monk. 
phase 4- the return , a shadow of the player in phase 2 and ultimately not a successful signing.

great innings overall though and that phase 2 he was one hell of a player/ 

I think you’re being harsh with phase four.

I don’t think it was realistic for Hutchinson to continue his ‘phase two’ self. Yes we loved seeing him fly into tackles and run himself into the ground but that ultimately lead to him missing huge chunks of the season through suspensions and injuries. 

To prolong his career, we saw a calmer and more measured Hutchinson in a more neutral position for him. I think any player is gonna lose a yard or two as they get older, especially someone who’s had to retire previously through injury. But I thought, apart from one or two moments, he had a good season. Not the best season we’ve had from him, but not a shadow of himself either.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Been excellent value for a free transfer to be honest. Both in defence and midfield. Can’t remember many bad games he had for the club.

MIA vs Hull at Wembley, SAFC semi away bad mistake, out of position for Wycombe goal away. 

I love the guy but cost us when it mattered the most. 

Always been my favourite player since he's been at the club, all we can ask as fans are that the players give their all for the club and Hutchinson gave everything. Gave us bite and passion and someone who would never nesh out of a 50/50 and always seemed to win the challenge, also a underrated passer of the ball which with Moore liking to pass out from the back I just hope he brings at least one CH in who can do that. Can only think Moore must have someone who can do that lined up. Will be weird knowing Sammy won't be playing for us next season, gutted to be honest but all the best and thanks for the memories 💙

• Like 2

Gutted about Hutch, can't say he didn't give it his all for us but I'll take it as a sign of the direction Moore is wanting to go with the squad.

He's proven he's got a keen eye for a defender so I'm fairly confident we'll already have replacements in the works and fingers crossed they're good enough. Defence needs a lot of work this summer.

Just now, HootHoot said:

Gutted about Hutch, can't say he didn't give it his all for us but I'll take it as a sign of the direction Moore is wanting to go with the squad.

He's proven he's got a keen eye for a defender so I'm fairly confident we'll already have replacements in the works and fingers crossed they're good enough. Defence needs a lot of work this summer.

I think we will need three news CBs? 

We also need more competition for the wingback spots and that's even if Hunt and NML decide to stay.

• Like 1