Tonight its.....Viera

2 hours ago, Salli said:

Lived in Ilson for 24 years, and parents still do so I'm there at least a couple of weekends a month. 

Not had a night out up there for aaaaages but that's mainly due to a lack of decent pubs than anything. I don't have an ilson or midlands accent and never felt threatened, though have deffo seen more booze-related aggro than in Notts.

Attitudes could have changed buddy, they weren't overly fond of mixing with new folks, certainly growing up there. My dad is still a native there as well.

Deffo not wrong on the pubs, it's a poor selection. I'd rather go into Nottingham, something for everyone and never had any hassle there.

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Personally I don't understand the 'buzz' of running on the pitch....unless your a dog thats been let off the lead.

Imagine grabbing the nets and getting your kids to climb on them.  It really is s@@t for brains behaviour.  There was a girl about 7 shinnying along the crossbar, live on sky.

I saw that. No doubt she would have been encouraged and probably lifted by I assume one of her parents. What happens then if that young girl had fallen and really hurt herself?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Attitudes could have changed buddy, they weren't overly fond of mixing with new folks, certainly growing up there. My dad is still a native there as well.

Deffo not wrong on the pubs, it's a poor selection. I'd rather go into Nottingham, something for everyone and never had any hassle there.

Speaking of Ilkeston, I work there. The wife is originally from Arnold in Notts and she's always described Ilkeston as 'redneck country" along with Heanor and to a degree Long Eaton.

I thought I was raised in the ultimate in s**tholes (Gainsborough) but Heanor definitely opened my eyes!

7 hours ago, g-owls said:

Speaking of Ilkeston, I work there. The wife is originally from Arnold in Notts and she's always described Ilkeston as 'redneck country" along with Heanor and to a degree Long Eaton.

I thought I was raised in the ultimate in s**tholes (Gainsborough) but Heanor definitely opened my eyes!

Yeah it's a bit like that, there are plenty of good people though. My brother moved away to Langley Mill. However my Dad is still there.

It's a decent commuter town really. If you know Ilkeston, I'm originally from the erewash/larklands area of town.

Edited by Maddogbob

10 hours ago, g-owls said:

I went to senior school in Heanor. Obviously done well to turn out such an upstanding member of society!

Always thought Langley Mill had the worse rep, but all these places were known for BNP links

46 minutes ago, Salli said:

I went to senior school in Heanor. Obviously done well to turn out such an upstanding member of society!

Always thought Langley Mill had the worse rep, but all these places were known for BNP links

Very true on that bnp link, the KKK tried to set a British chapter up in Ilkeston. 

It's actually why after I got together with the missus (who's as English as me, but is Chinese.). I had to move, after she was racially abused one night in the town centre. Wasn't standing for it and I moved to chesterfield.

I didn't think Heanor was that bad personally. No clue on Langley Mill. Used to catch the train to Sheffield from there tho 🤣 

Edited by Maddogbob