Ideas to improve football

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

What about physios who have to deal with blood from cuts?

yellow card 

1: Role reversal - Fans all sit on the pitch, game takes place in the stands. 

2: The goal should double as a coconut shy. players are incentivised to knock coconuts off of stands, if they do, they get to keep it for a refreshing half time treat. Remaining coconuts are counted, 3 remaining = 1 goal. 5 = 2 and so on. 

3: Barry Bannan will be referred to as 'Bernie Baron' from now on. My son called him that and it was both adorable and disappointing. 

4: similar to point 1 - but I think that fans should offer players their tops after a game. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

A lot of the issues with the game, around sportsmanship are merely a reflection of society these days. 

We applaud when a player shows signs of good sporting behaviour, because it's no longer the norm, much like in society we applaud small acts of kindness with 'likes and shares' when it should just be the norm. 

A hard line approach on the pitch for diving, time wasting and general poor behaviour would be a really good start. As well as the press asking players and managers directly after games to explain their actions during the games to embarrass them to stop with the play acting.

Also the ref's

Suggestion 1

Timekeeping - remove this from the Referee. In my opinion the ref has enough to do so I’d delegate it to a third party. I was very interested in this BBC article last week https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61342349

A bit like basketball, the clock stops when the game stops, so no amount of “šhithousery” makes a blind bit of difference.

Think? Sunderland last week, player down after 3 mins? Or my personal favourite, Preston a couple of years ago, the  “you’re not cheating any more” game.

Suggestion 3

Discipline (again) Yellow cards don’t benefit the team being played on the day. If some gorilla “takes one for the team” (Michael Dawson, this is aimed at you) and gets a yellow card, my view is that they should be temporarily sent off for a period of time (maybe 15 mins?) so the team being played, get the benefit.

• Like 1

Suggestion 4

Referee to wear communication equipment and justify decisions given. 
I’ve been to one professional Rugby game, World Cup, 2016 I think, at Leicester City FC King Power stadium, Hungary v Canada if memory serves. I was mightily impressed that the referee spoke to his colleagues, a bit like VAR but the playback was on the big screens, and it was instant, so ever fan knew exactly what was what, and the referee in effect told us his thought process. I.e. player number 8 touched the ball, rule xx contravened, penalty kick to whoever. No argument. Competent application of the rules and competent operation of the technology.

Ever wondered why Rugby players don’t cheat like footballers do? I’m guessing it’s because they are watched more and “called to book” more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'll go first

1) Just send any players off who dive, waste time or cynically chop down players if they look like they can't catch up with them - to try and make it so football returns to 11 players a side playing football and not fouling or rolling round pretending to be injured etc

You nicked my idea, been promoting that for ages, then you rack up and take all the credit.  

Suggestion 5

Injury treatment. 
As rugby, allow the physio onto the pitch to treat the injury and play around them. I simply can’t see a downside to this. Anyone injured would get quicker treatment. Anyone feigning injury, cheating to you and me,  doesn’t affect the game.

2 hours ago, danblakemore said:
  1. Have more than 1 referee.
  2. Give referees microphones.
  3. Make VAR either mandatory at all matches, or get rid. 
  4. 20 second rule for throw ins, once ball goes out, the player has 20 seconds to complete a throw in once the ball is available.

I like number 4.

Guest DoesJackHunt
17 minutes ago, Brookhouse1867 said:

Suggestion 3

Discipline (again) Yellow cards don’t benefit the team being played on the day. If some gorilla “takes one for the team” (Michael Dawson, this is aimed at you) and gets a yellow card, my view is that they should be temporarily sent off for a period of time (maybe 15 mins?) so the team being played, get the benefit.

or blind folded ?

Stop the silly rule that's not long since been brought in .. goalkeeper passing it to defender's from goal kicks in the box . To me that's the biggest thing that's increased time wasting.  Then bring back the 6 sec rule on goalkeepers.