Corporate Matchday Hospitality

There is a channel on Social Media called The Padded Seat

Its a look at corporate hospitality and what it’s like, what you get and it rates them out of five for experience and value for money 

Well worth a look

These experiences are great for businesses and bring lots of £££ into the club 

They’re also fab for fans wanting to spoil themselves for the day or treat someone to a different experience 

They’re also zero threat to those fans wanting more of a terrace like experience as these days out will never replace or stop the ordinary fans having the ordinary matchday experience if they don’t want this kind of day out.

It got me wondering though - how many of you guys have taken this kind of experience at SWFC over the years, when you last did it, if you’d do it again etc?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Interesting watch.

Never at home but been on a few away and plenty as a neutral in different sports.

Personally not enjoyed it when watching Wednesday just because it spoils the way i want to watch us.

BUT i think its great to watch an event that doesn't matter too much to you personally. Rugby union corp is usually very good imo. 

I guess it would be a marginal activity and money spinner where we are. Not that we should ignore it. We should be more creative with how we use the boxes - event planning is big business. 3 course Sunday dinner and minibar with crap beer isnt my idea of a day out.

Villa away years ago after Carbone left, waving £20 notes at him when he came across to take a corner.

Hillsborough a few times.

Only ever go if it is a freebie, much prefer it with the commoners in the stands.

A mate of mine was the match day sponsor this season at Hillsborough and raved about it. Can't remember the price but didn't seem too bad for what you got.

Been in a box at Hillsborough, a night match v Newcastle quite a few years ago. Enjoyed it, gives you a different perspective on the match day experience

We hired a box at Cardiff for the play off final, actually worked out only marginally more expensive between 10 of us than buying individual tickets. No food or drink included but a fantastic view behind the goal. Would do it again given the chance! 

18 minutes ago, AtkinsonsBarmyArmy said:

I took my father in the dooleys suite for the Cheltenham game in March. It was a suprise for his 70th. We are both season ticket holders on kop. It was a great day out. Three course meal before game, one course at halftime and another at full time. Which was pie & gravy. Not eaten so much in ages. You get a discount for having a season ticket and for being over 65. They couldn't do enough for us from start to finish. £20 bar tab or half bottle of wine?. No brainer. John Pearson was comparing and the guest ex player was luke varney.

On next table was a elderly couple who were Cheltenham fans and wanted the full corporate experience at a big stadium, there words. They loved it, apart from result. As added extras they got Steve Ellis (official swfc photographer) to take some pictures of us at pitchside and in dugout. They then emailed them to me a couple of days later. Also gave him a signed football, which should have been £20 but didn't charge us for it. The padded seats we're really comfortable for a man with a bad back & knees.

It was good to get a different view of the game from the south stand, which I haven't sat in for years. They had drinks ready & waiting on our table at halftime and full-time. All in all a great day (won 4-1). He was one happy man and kept repeating how much he enjoyed it. Now my daughter wants same for her birthday. Sorry for long post. Wanted to detail as much as possible. Great one off experience for a special occasion.

Sounds fantastic

Nice one and well done SWFC for looking after you in style!

Owlstalk Shop

Been in a box twice.

Once at Hillsborough - got married there, signed the paperwork in the Central Box, pictures on the pitch etc.

Once at Wembley for our 'performance' against Hull. Got the tickets comped from a tobacco company (I ran a Newsagents at the time), although on the face of it free food and drink sounds fun, I was still jealous at the rest of the supporters who were enjoying it in the stands (apart from the performance and result). Had to put on a fancy shirt and my funeral shoes - we looked a right pair of wallies on the supporters coach going down.

Shook DC and his Missus's hand on the way in, which I hadn't now.

The one thing that really sticks with me is the food. On the menu was roast pork and lamb, with all the trimmings - the gravy was cold, yellow and tasted like tomato soup - one of the other invitees was the guy that used to run the newspaper kiosk right at the bottom of the Moor - when he tasted the gravy he said to the server "what is this"? The server replied "why, it's gravy Sir" - the guy from the kiosk replied " Not from where I come from it isn't, it's f###ing horrible"

And he was right...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

got offered by a supplier (and went) to VILLA a few years back (believe it or not against  blunts! ) ,the supplier paid for everything. had a bottle of red wine before the game, one at half time and one after the game.... don't remember much other than agbonlahor (ex owl loanee) scored for villa ! 

I once was invited to the Frankfurt business area.  It's approx. 400 € per game/seat, but includes food & beverage and parking.

It's always sold out and there is a waiting list for those business seats.

Seats are comfy, but the atmosphere is just not there. I do prefer a terrace like experience.

I would NEVER pay this amount of money for a game, but it's great business for the club

• Like 1

Once back in the 90s for my Dad's birthday (we beat Charlton if I recall), and then once again around 2009 (a dire 0-1 defeat by Derby).

Both Dooley's and padded seat affair rather than a box.

Nice meal but overall I'd say it was a pretty no thrills event, not really my cup of tea.

On a side note my Dad did work as a blue coat in the boxes for a few years at Hillsborough in the early 2000s.

He loved the job, paid to effectively watch his team (in-between hosting obviously), got to meet some lovely people, and I got loads of free chuppa chups and signed programmes and team sheets as a result.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Been in a box twice.

Once at Hillsborough - got married there, signed the paperwork in the Central Box, pictures on the pitch etc.

Once at Wembley for our 'performance' against Hull. Got the tickets comped from a tobacco company (I ran a Newsagents at the time), although on the face of it free food and drink sounds fun, I was still jealous at the rest of the supporters who were enjoying it in the stands (apart from the performance and result). Had to put on a fancy shirt and my funeral shoes - we looked a right pair of wallies on the supporters coach going down.

Shook DC and his Missus's hand on the way in, which I hadn't now.

The one thing that really sticks with me is the food. On the menu was roast pork and lamb, with all the trimmings - the gravy was cold, yellow and tasted like tomato soup - one of the other invitees was the guy that used to run the newspaper kiosk right at the bottom of the Moor - when he tasted the gravy he said to the server "what is this"? The server replied "why, it's gravy Sir" - the guy from the kiosk replied " Not from where I come from it isn't, it's f###ing horrible"

And he was right...

Was there that day too sharing a table with fellow Owls. 

Had a good chat with Glen Loovens after the game, top professional and very pissed off about the result, must have apologised several times. 

Was quite looking forward to being there again this weekend oh well. 

Done quite a few over the years including Arsenal ( But not at the level of the tickets in the video )., Not been post covid

Format is always about the same.

Turn up about a couple of hours before kick off.

Drink

Eat

a ground tour, is sometimes included.

Old footballers or squad players on hand to say hello

Watch 1st half

Drink

Watch 2nd half 

drink , perhaps a bit more food , man of the match presentation

Go home

I wouldnt want to do it every match  but now and again its great fun.

When I have been at Hillsborough the quality has been pretty good , although just like the rest of the stadium , it needs updating.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

There is a channel on Social Media called The Padded Seat

Its a look at corporate hospitality and what it’s like, what you get and it rates them out of five for experience and value for money 

Well worth a look

These experiences are great for businesses and bring lots of £££ into the club 

They’re also fab for fans wanting to spoil themselves for the day or treat someone to a different experience 

They’re also zero threat to those fans wanting more of a terrace like experience as these days out will never replace or stop the ordinary fans having the ordinary matchday experience if they don’t want this kind of day out.

It got me wondering though - how many of you guys have taken this kind of experience at SWFC over the years, when you last did it, if you’d do it again etc?

Had a box for the full season last year 

not renewing this year though 

will probably just sponsor a couple of select days as a match day sponsor 

• Thanks 1

Been lucky enough to have done a few of these and we do a decent job. 

Was invited by one directors of an opposition club, when they played us. Lunch in the boardroom with Mandaric, Blunkett and Hattersley and others.

Service was spot on...and MM was actually quite funny and down to earth. 

Food and service was great.

Way better than the return at their place.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Are you just cutting costs?

There’s a number of reasons, 

A lot of positives from it and I had a great year and was very humbled. And yes a part of it is cost the world has got expensive in the last 6 months which had put my business costs up and my customers disposable income less. So it would be irresponsible for me to spend the money in the current economy crisis this needs to settle down more and with the likely hood of everything going up again soon in predicted October time. I’m cautious about committing the money that could be used elsewhere

there’s loads of other factors too, however I wouldn’t think this would be right to share on here without discussing them with the club first and again they aren’t anything major just personal and opinionated from a customer point of view 

but what I would say is anybody that his debating it, if you can try it, it’s a positive experience, the staff are loverly, the food is very good especially for stadium and large scale event catering. I filled the box every home game, 10 people in the box a real mix of guests and everybody loved the experience

and for experience that’s what it’s about

it’s a great way to watch football 

some people have an expectation that it can be snobby it’s not the case at all there’s some right beer monsters in their and surprisingly you always bump into them on away games too

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been in them 3 or so times in the 2000’s

TBH I prefer a standing Kop in the 80’s trying to dodge someone pizzing on your leg but that’s never coming back is it.

Happy days 

:duntmatter: