Idrissa Gueye - Rainbow LGBT protest

Is it fair to say an individual is born gay? It’s not a choice.

Nobody is born a specific religion. Religion is a choice. If that religion has abhorrent views, they should absolutely be called out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markg said:

It's more the old fogies that are more into religion than anyone

My comment was not about religion, just how people are scared to death about offending anyone.

Should i be offended by your ""old fogies" comment ?.......or am i one of the categories, that its ok to offend ?

• Like 5

On 20/05/2022 at 10:16, Ever the pessimist said:

It’s a delicate one, as nobody wants to suggest someone’s religious beliefs are archaic, even if they are as intolerant as this.

At school we obviously have LGBT posters and groups etc. For a while they kept getting ripped down by certain students who objected on grounds of religion. Thankfully they got a bit sick of bothering when they were replaced by more and more posters every time.

Your kidding right? Why cant we suggest that someones religious beliefs are archaic when in fact they are?

Shocking attitude and viewpoint to have. I don't care if it offends him or anyone else when I say his religion is archaic, backwards and wrong in my eyes. I will never understand how people put something they have no proof of over actual living people and actual real things. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eightbelow said:

Your kidding right? Why cant we suggest that someones religious beliefs are archaic when in fact they are?

It’s not about ‘we’ as fans. It’s about corporations not wanting to upset anyone, whilst being inclusive to everyone (some would say for the sake of decency, some would say cynically for £££) 

In this instance it’s a tightrope for leagues / clubs / football when this pops up because football is now also political (in a sense)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eightbelow said:

In my example, it’d cause a huge controversy in my place of work, quite likely to spread to communities from our catchment area, and either cost me my job or at the least make it very uncomfortable for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

My comment was not about religion, just how people are scared to death about offending anyone.

Should i be offended by your ""old fogies" comment ?.......or am i one of the categories, that its ok to offend ?

I thought it was okay to say it to you because you said people don’t need to think about whether comments will offend anyone or not 

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Shocking attitude and viewpoint to have. I don't care if it offends him or anyone else when I say his religion is archaic, backwards and wrong in my eyes. I will never understand how people put something they have no proof of over actual living people and actual real things. 

They should be in a mental institution for theirs and everyone else’s own good 

3 hours ago, markg said:

They should be in a mental institution for theirs and everyone else’s own good 

That'd be a lot of institutes needed. 

Personally I'm not fussed about whether people believe or not, each to their own and all that. What does annoy me though is when they try and control other peoples lives based on their beliefs. We're seeing it in America with Roe v Wade at the moment. The comments from Gueye fall into the same category and he's out of order. 

On 21/05/2022 at 20:14, Wing Back said:

No respect for people who's way of life has absolutely no impact or relevance to their own yet because they believe in superstitious nonsense and praying to nothing in the sky they demand it???

All religion is poison. 

I have no problem with religion per se, but when it comes into contact with the law, law should prevail.  also, if your beliefs impact on others and are against the law, again, the law should prevail.  

obviously, where the law in other countries supports religious views over humanist views we should look at our interactions with these countries, not reward them with acceptance either through sport or trade deals where possible.

idealistic, i know....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, horny owl said:

So a football player doesn’t believe in promoting something he doesn’t believe in

Good for him

I’d have more of a problem with him being forced to go against his beliefs

doesn't have a problem advertising beer though, or can you pick and choose which bits of your religion you don't want to promote?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/23/everton-idrissa-gueye-i-am-a-perfectionist

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

doesn't have a problem advertising beer though, or can you pick and choose which bits of your religion you don't want to promote?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/23/everton-idrissa-gueye-i-am-a-perfectionist

As I’ve said

As long as he’s not being forced to go against his beliefs there’s not a problem

7 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

Most do, just a shield to hide their bigotry or personal gain. Right wing "Christians" are great example of that.

10 hours ago, horny owl said:

As I’ve said

As long as he’s not being forced to go against his beliefs there’s not a problem

wearing a rainbow collared shirt is hardly going against his beliefs. surely it's just showing tolerance and support to a group of people within society.  he doesn't have become a member of the LGBTQ+ community, associate with anyone or even - shock horror - be friends with anyone from that community.

i'm all for people having opinions, however wrong or distasteful i may find them.

And the word 'beliefs' is up for discussion too.  faith based beliefs aren't based on fact, believing in an all seeing and knowing deity is up there with believing that aliens are walking amongst us, neither is proven beyond doubt.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

If true PSG should sack him. Then he can go and earn his crust back home in Senegal or Qatar. 

If PSG sack him I am sure they will other high profile clubs willing to give him a contract.

Also think Religion is getting a harsh time of it in this thread.

Yes they are some people whose Religion as vehicle for nefarious means but vast majority of religious people of all faiths are decent people.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

If PSG sack him I am sure they will other high profile clubs willing to give him a contract.

Also think Religion is getting a harsh time of it in this thread.

Yes they are some people whose Religion as vehicle for nefarious means but vast majority of religious people of all faiths are decent people.

i think most people aren't saying religion is bad, just that beliefs shouldn't take precedent.  if you don't want to wear the shirt, fine, but don't get paid and be upfront about it.   and if your beliefs are in contradiction of the profession/organization/club etc. then you have a decision to make....

i would say the same thing about extremist political/personal views too.

and while i accept that many individuals within religions are decent people, have a look around the the world and see where formed religion is not doing good for people.  or look historically, religion was hardly a force for good on many occasions