Idrissa Gueye - Rainbow LGBT protest

This was brought up on the Guardian Football Pod today. 

Philipe Auclair was saying that whilst he doesn't agree with Gueyes views on LGBT, he also thinks it pretty disgraceful that PSG , who are owned by a nation who deem homosexuality a criminal offence which can be punishable by death, have the absolute cheek to take this stance.

It's taking sports washing to a new level. 

• Like 5

On 18/05/2022 at 15:17, Bannofan said:

This was brought up on the Guardian Football Pod today. 

Philipe Auclair was saying that whilst he doesn't agree with Gueyes views on LGBT, he also thinks it pretty disgraceful that PSG , who are owned by a nation who deem homosexuality a criminal offence which can be punishable by death, have the absolute cheek to take this stance.

It's taking sports washing to a new level. 

They'll be buying a World Cup next...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

“Homosexuality is illegal in Senegal and punishable by prison sentences of up to five years” 

Ok…. then what 

lol 

You get beaten half to death by the prison guards on a regular basis until they go a bit too far one night and they get beaten all the way to death.

Oh, did you want the comedy response?

*ahem* 

Being in prison is like going on holiday for us gays, locked in a building with a load of other guys... hellllloooooo

🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s a delicate one, as nobody wants to suggest someone’s religious beliefs are archaic, even if they are as intolerant as this.

At school we obviously have LGBT posters and groups etc. For a while they kept getting ripped down by certain students who objected on grounds of religion. Thankfully they got a bit sick of bothering when they were replaced by more and more posters every time.

10 hours ago, Minton said:

You get beaten half to death by the prison guards on a regular basis until they go a bit too far one night and they get beaten all the way to death.

*ahem* 

Being in prison is like going on holiday for us gays, locked in a building with a load of other guys... hellllloooooo

🙄

I think what he is implying is being gay is not a crime* which you can be rehabilitated from which is the point of prison (we can all argue that point). Once you leave prison after 5 years you will still be gay. 

Incredible in this day and age people still believe homosexuality is wrong. Hide behind religion all they want but that view is beyond backward. 

*im not suggesting homosexuality is a crime this is purely in the context of Senegal which clearly believes it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It’s a delicate one, as nobody wants to suggest someone’s religious beliefs are archaic

If those beliefs are homophobic/transphobic, I'm more than happy to suggest they're archaic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Yes, fair enough. It can however be weaponised against people. It’s a tripwire that can be very damaging.

Careful not to incite anything nasty, but I’m tired of religion having protected status. 

It ain’t real, but homosexuality quite clearly is, and I know which one is much more “damaging”

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Alb1owl said:

Careful not to incite anything nasty, but I’m tired of religion having protected status. 

It ain’t real, but homosexuality quite clearly is, and I know which one is much more “damaging”

You’re preaching to the choir (maybe not the best metaphor in this case). But, take my case, I’m not going to tell any students that their religion is backwards and intolerant. You can probably imagine how that would end….

• Like 1

Really odd one. His views are clearly abhorrent but there will be some who argue he has the right to said views.

I'm not saying you can force him to wear the shirt, if it goes against his personal morality (no matter how misguided his morality is). But his club can certainly chose not to let him play if he won't wear it.

That too probably opens up a can of worms about his employment rights. But it's only like a coach freezing a player out until their contract runs out, it's not like he wouldn't be making a living whilst still under contract.

Im probably too old now, but this thread sums up todays youth culture. Everyone is scared of saying the wrong thing and offending people.

Its like " i think its wrong that some religious groups are against gays......but its ok for them to think that, as i dont want to offend religious groups......and i dont want to offend gays now, by defending religious groups right to their opinions......"

• Like 3

On 20/05/2022 at 08:09, Minton said:

*ahem* 

🙄

I don’t think he was saying that at all 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

Im probably too old now, but this thread sums up todays youth culture. Everyone is scared of saying the wrong thing and offending people.

Its like " i think its wrong that some religious groups are against gays......but its ok for them to think that, as i dont want to offend religious groups......and i dont want to offend gays now, by defending religious groups right to their opinions......"

I don't know if it has anything to do with 'Youth' or you being 'too old', but I think it's a very positive thing that people these days are more concerned about saying the wrong thing and offending people than they were 'back in the day' .

As society becomes more diverse and multicultural,  surely it's just a sign of kindness and decency to not want to offend somebody if you can avoid it? 

I'm in my 50's, and I certainly don't subscribe to the 'you can't say owt these days' mantra. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

the youth are the most anti-religion of all 

No respect for people who's way of life has absolutely no impact or relevance to their own yet because they believe in superstitious nonsense and praying to nothing in the sky they demand it???

All religion is poison. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

It's more the old fogies that are more into religion than anyone

• Like 1