Away following

Seen this other day, obviously made up by a toy town fan. 

They would have taken chuff all away had they been outside top 6. 

Wednesday and Sunderland for that matter would have taken loads more away had they received bigger allocations. 

We probably could have sold 10,000 tickets for Doncaster and Rotherham away. 

• Like 1

This is absolute rubbish. I believe "percent taken" is the percentage of home fans vs. away fans. Away numbers are limited to ticket allocations. So given Sunderland's greater home support, their away support is "lower"... 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

I got sent this by a mate, and was surprised to see Sunderland so far down list..IMG-20220517-WA0004.jpg.b9221eead1f943e6fdc8d84c2c995e9b.jpg

The home figures are not limited by capacity whereas the away figures are. Therefore the table isnt a valid statistical analysis of the premise.

Fact.

• Like 3

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, Mighty Quinn said:

I got sent this by a mate, and was surprised to see Sunderland so far down list..IMG-20220517-WA0004.jpg.b9221eead1f943e6fdc8d84c2c995e9b.jpg

Another one who only has access to the internet once a week.

Probably the same sort of sad little Miller who ignores actual attendances but invents new and utterly irrelevant statistical categories like "percentage of empty seats in the stadium". I saw one of them trying to claim that Wednesday were the worst in Europe for this or something, until it was pointed out that we don't even come top of this "stat" for League One due to MK Dons.

Statistics can be used to bend the rules

Here we have Sunderland 2nd in the table for away following

But someone who benefits from using a different criteria, i.e. percentage, has twisted the facts

It's similar to the table put out earlier in the year where we were well down the list because we were selling just over half of our available seats. The stats had our capacity at 39,000 while our average attendance was around 22,000

Statistics can be twisted to suit an argument

We haven't lost to Man United or Liverpool in over 20 years, which looks like a great record until you dig deeper and realise we haven't been in the same division for that length of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

Your mate wouldnt support Rovrum by any chance would he?. given you live in kimbo ?) Must have taken him hours to come up with that statistic?........ i guess its true what they say, Lies, damned lies and statistics ! 

Suppose it's easy to top the list for a small club with poor home support.  Also when their biggest game of the season is 5 miles from home with unlimited tickets available.

5 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

Your mate wouldnt support Rovrum by any chance would he?. given you live in kimbo ?) Must have taken him hours to come up with that statistic?........ i guess its true what they say, Lies, damned lies and statistics ! 

No he's a Leeds fan... but I think all local sides including Leeds take good followings away from home, and it doesn't matter if Rotherham are top its only a pro rata ..

3 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

What about Plymouth..

If they only played each other then that would make sense

Whereas teams like Portsmouth are quite close to Plymouth geographically, but still a great trek for Sunderland

Hence Sunderland have more travelling to do than any other fanbase in league 1

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

does the premier league have a table of average away support? most clubs give between 2-3000 , our away following is the highest in the football league , and its possible we have higher average in attending away games than most premier league clubs