Jump to content

owls in the park cancelled


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

To me it seems as though the event is seen internally as a bit of an inconvenience. They know supporters will still buy the shirts, OiTP event or not, and the club doesn’t really ‘get it’ when it comes to engaging with supporters of the future.

 

While I probably would agree with that bit over all I think this example is more likely that the club doesn't want to stump up the cash to pay to put the event on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ItsAGrumbleFromImre said:

God give me strength - pure covid theatre - we can have 33,000 in the stadium but nobody in a park across the way

Fully agree it's absolutely ridiculous.

 

It's time to move on now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HootHoot said:

Their cases hit a record high. What did you expect them to do? 

so did ours the other week, what did we do? get on with things as normal. maybe they should try that too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing Devil's advocate for all those saying but what about the semi-final crowds etc...

 

1. Am I right in thinking Owls in the park happens a couple of weeks before the start of the new season? General musing that if it was at the start of preseason, and so any outbreak guarantees that everyone is back by the first fixture, it would be on. Far less disruptive if you know that any covid outbreak means players won't be too sick for competitive games.

 

2. 30k in the stands aren't shaking hands with the players like they would be at Owls in the park. Saying that 30k in the stand is OK and therefore rubbing up against the players is OK is a bit of a false equivalence, isn't it?

 

Still feels like a lame excuse mind, but just trying to apply some logic to the above.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Have it on good authority Covid is just an excuse.

 

In reality the players don't want to have to talk to grown men in football shirts and shorts, as they actually find the whole thing a bit creepy and cringy.

 

Apparently.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Mr Farrell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, morganowl said:

so did ours the other week, what did we do? get on with things as normal. maybe they should try that too 

Trying that is how you end up with record cases. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems very strange to cancel this on covid grounds.

 

Given far bigger things are happening.

 

The players will meet far more people in the next 2 weeks just living normally than they will in a couple of hours at Hillsborough Park

 

If Darren or any other staff member feels vulnerable then they of course can be excused but a normal healthy 20 odd year old footballer should be fine.

 

At some point we have to move on and live with covid I think that time has come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Have it on good authority Covid is just an excuse.

 

In reality the players don't want to have to talk to grown men in football shirts and shorts, as they actually find the whole thing a bit creepy and cringy.

 

Apparently.

 

 

 

 

Can’t see why anyone over the age of 12 would be disappointed by this event not going ahead

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Luke said:

I love how they are worried about covid but josh windass is on holiday in Mexico right now 😳 

Which seems to be reasonable, considering the covid situation in Sheffield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Playing Devil's advocate for all those saying but what about the semi-final crowds etc...

 

1. Am I right in thinking Owls in the park happens a couple of weeks before the start of the new season? General musing that if it was at the start of preseason, and so any outbreak guarantees that everyone is back by the first fixture, it would be on. Far less disruptive if you know that any covid outbreak means players won't be too sick for competitive games.

 

2. 30k in the stands aren't shaking hands with the players like they would be at Owls in the park. Saying that 30k in the stand is OK and therefore rubbing up against the players is OK is a bit of a false equivalence, isn't it?

 

Still feels like a lame excuse mind, but just trying to apply some logic to the above.

So they don't train 2 weeks before the season starts I thought it was an important part of pre season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel a bit sorry for some of the local charities who get a lot of exposure and funds from the event. Hopefully the club will continue to help them out in other ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...