Big Goalkeepers Matter

Showing my age here but Paul

Cooper who played for Ipswich in the late 70,s had an unrivalled reputation for saving penalties and he was five feet ten.

Also, I played with a keeper who was nineteen stone and he was diabolical, especially on a Sunday morning after a heavy night. On many occasions he was late for kick off .

34 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Cooper who played for Ipswich in the late 70,s had an unrivalled reputation for saving penalties and he was five feet ten.

Also, I played with a keeper who was nineteen stone and he was diabolical, especially on a Sunday morning after a heavy night. On many occasions he was late for kick off .

Yeah, but could he kick it out to a team mate?

4 hours ago, scilly owl said:

What's even more remarkable is Paul Cooper dovetailed his football career with his main role in the Dukes of Hazard

d5_300_341x300.jpg

bf582dc07654918d8b08120dc8296799-2.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, scilly owl said:

And before him, Laurie Sivell who was 5' 8"

2 hours ago, trotter said:

And Jack Charlton picked Bob Bolder over him because of that.

Turner still had a career of 500 games and his save in the 91 league cup final won us the trophy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Von shabba said:

No he didn't.

Ron Springett left for QPR in 1967 and Bolder didn't start playing for us until late 70s if my memory serves me.

Jack Charlton picked Bob Bolder over Chris Turner.

I thought it was a mistake at the time but Jack knew his players better than me.

Anyway, Bob went to Liverpool and Chris went to Sunderland and Man U so they both had decent careers.   

Ron Springett had long since gone as you know.  

• Like 1