Lee Gregory

Bound to be interest. Genuine strikers are few and far between and his season overall has been very good and his spell after injury was outstanding.

Hope he stays. If we keep the main players and stick to 352 we could be right up there for an auto spot from the off in August.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

The Daily Mail tho.

I mean Derby....I like Derby but how they gonna buy him, on Klarna?

I call BS

Derby haven't got the brass to buy anyone. Has their take over even been finalised? Gregory has enjoyed his spell here and will be a major factor next season. Hopefully with Windass as his partner.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Bound to be interest. Genuine strikers are few and far between and his season overall has been very good and his spell after injury was outstanding.

Hope he stays. If we keep the main players and stick to 352 we could be right up there for an auto spot from the off in August.

At the risk of being accused of 'trawling' old threads (as opposed to simply remembering some of the more outlandish things that people write on here sometimes), I'm pretty sure it was only a month or so back that you were calling Gregory 'a so-so striker' and saying that you couldn't understand why so many fans wanted him back in the team?

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At the risk of being accused of 'trawling' old threads (as opposed to simply remembering some of the more outlandish things that people write on here sometimes), I'm pretty sure it was only a month or so back that you were calling Gregory 'a so-so striker' and saying that you couldn't understand why so many fans wanted him back in the team?

Well I won’t go back thru threads either, but without your gift for hindsight I stand by what I wrote when Gregory was coming back, replacing forwards that had gelled, in a team on a fabulous winning streak. He was way better after his return that before his layoff, and with hindsight it was great to have him back as the must-plat striker.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Well I won’t go back thru threads either, but without your gift for hindsight I stand by what I wrote when Gregory was coming back, replacing forwards that had gelled, in a team on a fabulous winning streak. He was way better after his return that before his layoff, and with hindsight it was great to have him back as the must-plat striker.

It's not hindsight, though - we discussed this at the time!

It was only one or two months ago.

I was trying to explain why I thought Gregory should come back into the team, and you were telling me why we should stick with Paterson instead.

On a different note, I don't think Gregory's game has looked different since his return from injury - it's just that the team as a whole had much better balance by that point. We had actual centre backs in defence, Johnson on the flank, and Luongo, Byers and Bannan in the middle, which made the world of difference. 

Gregory looked like the same hard-working, intelligent centre-forward he always is to me.

• Thanks 1

I was watching Newcastle v Arsenal last night and they brought Dwight Gayle on for his swansong. Thought what a great player he would be alongside Lee Gregory, but of course it’ll never happen. He’ll end up at a championship side - possibly Leeds😀

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

It would slightly scupper the Gregory & Vardy strike partnership planned for next season

:ph34r:

Imagine the uproar amongst the wives and girlfriends if Rebekaghhhh Vardy was a regular in the players lounge

Edited by Devonstrix

10 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Imagine the uproar amongst the wives and girlfriends if Rebekaghhhh Vardy was a regular in the players lounge

Yeah, but the weekly Whodunnit night would be an absolute banger...

14 hours ago, Key said:

What a strange article!
Says Gregory has had a great season, scored loads of goals (almost every other game), says several clubs are interested in signing him (including Derby who apparently want to sign him twice!!), but then claim that Wednesday won’t want much of a fee cos he’s only got a year left on his contract. That’s another year when he could well be our top scorer firing us on to automatic promotion, and whatever you think of DC he’s not interested in selling any player for peanuts, he’d rather let them go for free when their contracts up if they’re still useful to us in the meantime.

Gregory is of way more use to us as a player than  a couple of hundred grand in the transfer kitty would be. Who could we possibly sign for that much who pretty much guarantees a goal every 2-to-3 games at this level, possibly more?

He’s going nowhere. He’s our number nine!

Got a hint of "young journo got talked to in a pub by an agent" type of article

18 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

Unless he’s dying to go, it wouldn’t be worth the fee we got for him as we’d only have to replace him for more cash and he’s a bit of a talisman for us now. It would be a big blow to lose tom even if it would make business sense to cash in on a 33 year old striker. 

Doesn't make any business sense to cash in, because we won't get much for him due to his age.

Worth way more to us than 1mil and not even we'd get that. Wilder can f off as can Rooney and anyone else.

Gregory must be gutted and want to get us up next year. He's already built a good relationship with fans and players here, really doubt he'd want to move on again.

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

Doesn't make any business sense to cash in, because we won't get much for him due to his age.

Worth way more to us than 1mil and not even we'd get that. Wilder can f off as can Rooney and anyone else.

Gregory must be gutted and want to get us up next year. He's already built a good relationship with fans and players here, really doubt he'd want to move on again.

In pure business sense if we got 500k plus (pure guess) for someone 33 in league one which funded or helped to fund a buy for someone 10 years younger who can also score goals then it would be good business. Before Xmas I think it would be viewed that way but at the moment he’s almost like Bannan in terms of his importance to the team which throws that kind of thinking out the window for me 

It's mad the locals tweeting we need to offer him a new deal - it's almost as if they have forgot our history of offering contracts on high salaries for no reason and to no avail.

Gregory was a good signing whose turned into a great one. He is 34 at the start of next season - why on earth do we need to offer him a new deal. He is our player and in contract. If he plays well again this season then let's see.

Was surprised the local journalists advocating jus freely offering him more money (at his age and in contract) when we have only just come out of an embargo.

Going to go counter to the sentiment here

If we get a great offer then we should sell him

He’s 34 in August and missed a few chunks of the season through injury.

We need to learn to sell at the top of value. 

For me another with 7 figures would be a sale

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Didn’t see you posting that while Gregory was knocking in nearly a goal a game for the last 10 or so games

Ultimate goalpost shifter.

Given his contract status and age who would offer much more than £500k, we could not find an alternative to him for that sort of money...  Didnt we pay around £850k for Winnall and he was much younger...

Unless someone comes in with a bid over £1 million then we should not even entertain the idea...