First openly gay footballer comes out in UK

31 minutes ago, Minton said:

Yeah, because Christianity has been *ever* so supportive of LGBTQ+ people and the UK *definitely* doesn't have problems with homophobia...

Every country still has a problem with homophobia to some extent, but the UK is definitely one of the best in the world in which to be gay. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Every country still has a problem with homophobia to some extent, but the UK is definitely one of the best in the world in which to be gay. 

We're OK as a nation, but things have definitely been getting worse, not better in the last few years. I'd go into specifics as to why that is, but that is more for the politics section I suspect. 

The point I was making was in response to a poster claiming that being Muslim was part of the problem (when very obviously other religions are just as anti-LGBTQ+) and that they should move to another country because the UK is apparently a gay utopia (Which from personal experience, I can confirm it is not). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Minton said:

We're OK as a nation, but things have definitely been getting worse, not better in the last few years.

I am surprised you say that but obviously you will know better than I do.

From my view as a heterosexual I see more acceptance of what other people are. I must be missing the things that are getting worse, which doesn't help.

30 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I am surprised you say that but obviously you will know better than I do.

From my view as a heterosexual I see more acceptance of what other people are. I must be missing the things that are getting worse, which doesn't help.

Sentiments and attitudes like yours are heartening to see, people like you are most definitely part of the solution.

The political climate has lead to people feeling emboldened to air their privately held prejudices (not just homophobia sadly) and there is a 'I don't see it, so it doesn't exist' mindset in many as well. 1 in 5 LGBTQ+ people have experienced a hate crime or incident in the last 12 months, 2 in 5 trans people have experienced similar and 4 in 5 of these crimes go unreported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60257602

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/12/hate-crimes-in-england-and-wales-up-9-since-covid-pandemic-began

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/lgbt-britain-hate-crime-and-discrimination

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 18:41, ANDY said:

While I commend his bravery. My opinion is it’s nobodies business but his own. 

Pretty much this! Don't see why it has to be announced. Where he puts his willy is his business. 

13 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

Pretty much this! Don't see why it has to be announced. Where he puts his willy is his business. 

If it doesn't bother you, then why does it bother you that he's decided to come out?

If it's such a non-issue, then surely that works both ways?

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

If it doesn't bother you, then why does it bother you that he's decided to come out?

If it's such a non-issue, then surely that works both ways?

Where did I say it bothers me that he's come out?

I don't think people should feel like they have to 'come out' in this day and age.

2 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

Where did I say it bothers me that he's come out?

I don't think people should feel like they have to 'come out' in this day and age.

I know what you're saying

It shouldn't be a 'thing' in 2022

But sadly it very much is and has to be

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, PTLiam said:

What has to be mate?  

Players coming out 

Like it's been suggested it shouldn't have to be anyone's business what sexuality a person or player is

But the reluctance to come out shows the issue

To most people it's no big deal

But we've seen what some football fans and sections of society are like and it's the fear of those people (And the reaction of family and friends even) that mean many gay people are afraid to come out and tell people

I think unless you or I are gay it's wrong to tell gay people whether it's a big deal or not, or that they shouldn't announce it or should or shouldn't come out. We dont' know their issues and struggles and fears.

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Players coming out 

Like it's been suggested it shouldn't have to be anyone's business what sexuality a person or player is

But the reluctance to come out shows the issue

To most people it's no big deal

But we've seen what some football fans and sections of society are like and it's the fear of those people (And the reaction of family and friends even) that mean many gay people are afraid to come out and tell people

I think unless you or I are gay it's wrong to tell gay people whether it's a big deal or not, or that they shouldn't announce it or should or shouldn't come out. We dont' know their issues and struggles and fears.

Nah your right with your last paragraph. We dont!

I suppose if its made him feel better, personally. That's all that matters. 

We all know he'll get hammered on the terraces every week now & i'm sure he knows too so he's got my respect for putting himself in that position anyway. Takes some tezzies.

Just now, PTLiam said:

Nah your right with your last paragraph. We dont!

I suppose if its made him feel better, personally. That's all that matters. 

We all know he'll get hammered on the terraces every week now & i'm sure he knows too so he's got my respect for putting himself in that position anyway. Takes some tezzies.

Definitely

Full respect to him (And anyone else that does it)

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Maybe he wants to live his life as he wants to out in the open

Not scurrying around in the shadows living a life of pretence waiting for the day that if he becomes famous that some disgusting hack will be waiting behind his garden hedge to snap him as some sort of major gotcha for the world to see

• Like 1

On 20/05/2022 at 15:54, scram said:

Maybe he wants to live his life as he wants to out in the open

Not scurrying around in the shadows living a life of pretence waiting for the day that if he becomes famous that some disgusting hack will be waiting behind his garden hedge to snap him as some sort of major gotcha for the world to see

Perfectly put. 

Interesting he signed a new deal very recently and has done it after that, so he clearly felt secure enough to do it with the club.