Jump to content

First openly gay footballer comes out in UK


Recommended Posts

Hopefully a weight off for him, such a strong person to do this. The phrase 'if you can see it, you can be it' is also incredibly important. There will be lots of young people who might have been put off going into the game because they didn't have anyone to help pave the way.

Top man.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 years old! Remarkable bravery shown by the young man.

 

Reading his comments just makes me wonder how many professional footballers have hid their sexuality out of fear. It's such a shame that people still feel like they can't be their self because of what other people might think or say. Hopefully this paves the way for others to speak out. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ANDY said:

While I commend his bravery. My opinion is it’s nobodies business but his own. 
 

 

 

In an ideal world it would be, but there is a reason why 'coming out' still has to happen , and it's even more important to do so in this very public way when you are in the position he is in. He wants to inspire and let as many people,  inside and outside the game,  know of his story so others may also take this step.

 

I'm sure the lad would just like to casually drop it in to conversation,  but even in the most supportive,  mundane environment the whispers and 'suspicion ' are rife. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ANDY said:

While I commend his bravery. My opinion is it’s nobodies business but his own. 
 

 

Well he obviously doesn’t agree with you otherwise he wouldn’t have gone public and announced it to the world at large.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, ANDY said:

While I commend his bravery. My opinion is it’s nobodies business but his own. 
 

 

 

 

If he wants to feel free in life, not pretend to be something he's not,  date people he likes without constantly living in fear of being 'found out'. Then it's a one time step to make him feel like he can be himself going forward. 

 

People agonise over the same step for years without even being in public eye, and it breaks some and some never do it and live life completely unhappy. It's not that complicated really. 

 

He is however very young and his team mates, team and the wider footballing family have a duty to treat him fairly. It won't look good on the sport if anything other than that happens. 

 

We, as a sport, need to learn the valid lessons of the past. 

 

What I do know that it will inspire so many people. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bannofan said:

 

In an ideal world it would be, but there is a reason why 'coming out' still has to happen , and it's even more important to do so in this very public way when you are in the position he is in. He wants to inspire and let as many people,  inside and outside the game,  know of his story so others may also take this step.

 

I'm sure the lad would just like to casually drop it in to conversation,  but even in the most supportive,  mundane environment the whispers and 'suspicion ' are rife. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is still necessary to 'come out' in certain circumstances, in this case football where there is obviously a stigma if not institutionalised homophobia, simply so people can just be themselves and live their lives without the threat of persecution and prejudice.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

I am very pleased he has done this and I hope many others follow suit and that he gets the support he deserves.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Jake Daniels. Further building on the positive steps made by people like Josh Cavallo and Tom Daley, an openly gay, male, professional sportsman is exactly the kind of role model younger LGBTQ+ players need to let them know that their sexuality is not restricting factor. Huge kudos!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

From that to this... 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61492696

 

 

Poor from Sarr and Kouyate supporting it too 


The elephant in the room.

 

Its things like this that stop players ‘coming out’ 

 

The fact is that in 2022 in the UK, the vast majority of normal, everyday, working class football fans couldn’t care less about someone’s sexuality. 
 

Im not Muslim bashing here. They have a right to believe what they wish, but when living and working in a civilised society they have to start accepting the fact that things are done differently. 
 

If these players are so strongly against anyone being gay I suggest they locate to a country that shares those beliefs. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simon Jordan was being a proper tw@t about all this yesterday.

 

Almost suggesting the young man had done it for attention or something.

 

Came across like a rent-a-gob bigot.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, g-owls said:


The elephant in the room.

 

Its things like this that stop players ‘coming out’ 

 

The fact is that in 2022 in the UK, the vast majority of normal, everyday, working class football fans couldn’t care less about someone’s sexuality. 
 

Im not Muslim bashing here. They have a right to believe what they wish, but when living and working in a civilised society they have to start accepting the fact that things are done differently. 
 

If these players are so strongly against anyone being gay I suggest they locate to a country that shares those beliefs. 

 

 

 

Yeah, because Christianity has been *ever* so supportive of LGBTQ+ people and the UK *definitely* doesn't have problems with homophobia...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...