Is the Championship all that ?

I want to see us in the Premier League and doing well but the landscape of football has changed so much since we were last in that position.

I think the best we can ever hope for nowadays is to win the Championship and end up with a team like Brighton’s.

Lets be honest though, we’re miles away from any of that so you just have to enjoy whatever success you can, at whatever level that happens. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Would love to see us back in the premier league. Winning games and promotion is what it’s all about imo. Playing good, attacking football and proving ourselves as a quality outfit too. It’s a shame we’re  quite a way off it at the moment, but some shoots of hope coming through after last season.

I do struggle to understand what the fans of clubs like Burnley get out of football though. Imagine always, always, always just about avoiding relegation. Can’t be fun.

But with the right infrastructure and good planning it doesn't always have to be about getting to the Premiership and having to survive. I mean I don't think Leicester fans ever expected to see their club actually be league champions, yes a rarity but it proves its possible. Even the pigs had a comfortable first season there. 

For me it's the financial benefits that come with playing top flight football, that money can be used into stadium upgrades/development, investment into training/academy facilities.

With the younger generation of fans now coming through it would a lot easier to get a young fan to attend games knowing they could see the likes of Salah or De Bruyne in the flesh as opposed to watching Wednesday playing Bristol Rovers for example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spuddy01 said:

I'm lucky enough to have seen us in the early 90's, going to ground like Old Trafford, Anfield, Highbury etc. and not only competing, but winning, getting to cup finals, playing in Europe. 

Unfortunately,  I just don't see them days ever returning, there's just too much money at the top. Leicester winning was a massive one off, won't happen again for another 20 years, you have to go back to Blackburn in 95 the last time one of the top 6 didn't win the league, and even then they spent massively.

So we're left with either being a mid table prem team at best, getting the odd win against the big boys, which will be awesome at the time, but not actually achieving anything, maybe challenging for the odd cup or flirting with a European spot. Or we could be a Norwich, no aspirations, just happy to go up, lose pretty much every week and go back down but bank lots of money, personally don't see the point in that.

Wednesday being back in the prem would be awesome at first but the enjoyment would wear off after a while when we're losing more than we're winning. 

FFS stop clapping will you? cant cope with all this optimism

4 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I'm with you. Enjoyed this season more than any other for quite a while.

Yeah been a real ball,relegated last season,struggled all season to get into a play off place, got binned out of the play off semi, & now face the indignity of watching WW battle for a return to the Championship....

While we sit here drinking our cocoa & eating cheese sandwhich's

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Without the points deduction we were bottom 6 with a losing record and unable to pay the players we had, let alone improve the squad. If DC remains in charge, how do you see us holding our own. Genuine question. I’m actually interested to know what people enjoy about life in the Championship

Bottom 6 dont get relegated do they? with Covid and our other problems it was bound to be a slog....Barnsley as an example only avoided relegation the season before,cutesy of Wigans problems....

Season after they were vying for a return to the PL with the right tactics,& manager....

Change of manager & tactics to playing it out......down a snake again....

Football isnt as complicated as some make out....and whats so good about the Championship?

14 Million quid a Year for starters and with 2 Mill a Year to the Chairman,thats not to be sniffed at,the football is of a higher standard,players more skillful,and anyone has a chance to go to the PL...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, parajack said:

FFS stop clapping will you? cant cope with all this optimism

Anyone dreaming of us becoming a successful premier league club will forever be disappointed though. 

I think if you can just enjoy every game/ season as it comes and not worry too much about the league you are in you'll have a lot more fun along the way. At least that's what I find anyway. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The coach said:

I bet financially there’s zero difference to league 1 and the championship...any extra revenue from tv will be eaten up by having to pay higher wages

But higher wages = the ability to sign the Fletchers,Hoopers,BB, FF etc etc.........which took us to the play offs over 2 Years......

• Thanks 1

Just now, parajack said:

But higher wages = the ability to sign the Fletchers,Hoopers,BB, FF etc etc.........which took us to the play offs over 2 Years......

Yep..and about 100 mill of debt..but at least we had a day out at Wembley😜

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

No but I think the point is the journey is generally more enjoyable than the destination.

Winning league 1 is probably more fun than finishing 18th in the championship.

Winning the championship is probably more enjoyable than finshing 16th in the Premier league every year.

Of course be ambitious and try to do as well as possible but don't sweat it if you don't quite make it. There is alway next season.

Personally i'd rather finish anywhere in the Championship than in League one.

Nothing personal but I always find it patronising when someone tells me how to feel on Owlstalk.  I'm guessing you don't mean any harm.  I'm not sweating because it took two seasons both times we previously were promoted.  We can all agree that we wan't success next season.

We are literally are the big kid kept back because we fkd up.  It's embarrassing.  A few people I mix with support Prem clubs and all they can say is Carbone/Di Canio.

Don't forget the other 'big' clubs stuck (Bolton/Charlton/Portsmouth/Sunderland) down there are only there because they are so poorly run, both financially and in decision making.  You can now add us to that.  Ask any Makem if they've enjoyed it.

Any Blade reading this would spit their coffee out.  Maybe email the FA if we come top and tell them we don't want to get promoted.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The coach said:

Yep..and about 100 mill of debt..but at least we had a day out at Wembley😜

Reveal hidden contents

Didnt have to be that way,that was choice..............

• Like 1

I remember walking out of Wembley after the Hull game thinking thank f##f for that, for a minute there I thought we we were going to get promoted.

Is this kind of garbage due to the lack of ambition, the lack of belief that we will ever complete at the highest level again, sour grapes or some other weird coping mechanism for a fan base that pretend losing is the new winning?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Remember beating man u at home most seasons when they were top, liverpool odd time too, hirst, waddle, di canio, walker, palmer, nillson etc werent a bad watch!

Far better watching better players, even when we lose imo.

All it really took was a top manager like wilko or big ron and some backing.

Saying that the odds of anyone going up to top tier and finishing 3rd like we did in 91-92 must be very long now, its almost rigged, but anyone capable of regular 30k+ crowds should be aiming to be established prem teams imo

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Anyone dreaming of us becoming a successful premier league club will forever be disappointed though. 

I think if you can just enjoy every game/ season as it comes and not worry too much about the league you are in you'll have a lot more fun along the way. At least that's what I find anyway. 

Compared to being successful in the third division…..oh wait!!!

51 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Personally i'd rather finish anywhere in the Championship than in League one.

Nothing personal but I always find it patronising when someone tells me how to feel on Owlstalk.  I'm guessing you don't mean any harm.  I'm not sweating because it took two seasons both times we previously were promoted.  We can all agree that we wan't success next season.

We are literally are the big kid kept back because we fkd up.  It's embarrassing.  A few people I mix with support Prem clubs and all they can say is Carbone/Di Canio.

Don't forget the other 'big' clubs stuck (Bolton/Charlton/Portsmouth/Sunderland) down there are only there because they are so poorly run, both financially and in decision making.  You can now add us to that.  Ask any Makem if they've enjoyed it.

Any Blade reading this would spit their coffee out.  Maybe email the FA if we come top and tell them we don't want to get promoted.

Not sure why you interpret that as me telling anyone how to feel. It's just how I see it from a personal perspective.

I also don't say anywhere that I don't want to be promoted. And I'm certainly indifferent to what a blade might think about it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Not sure why you interpret that as me telling anyone how to feel. It's just how I see it from a personal perspective.

I also don't say anywhere that I don't want to be promoted. And I'm certainly indifferent to what a blade might think about it.

Did you see Bannans interview after the Play Off match?  He looked inconsolable.

Don't forget we are here because of a huge catalogue of monumental f ups..You can't sugar coat it.

Bannan said he wanted to get promoted and to, in his words put it right.  

The Blades were down here 5 years..Our future is uncertain, that's why it's worrying.

Moore deserves another crack at it but lets not pretend he hasn't made any mistakes.  We all suffered under Turner and Irvine and I don't want to experience that again.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Thanks 1