Average away attendance

Lets not get ahead of ourselves lads. Impressive as your numbers are lets not forget to factor in Distance travelled. Its one hell of an advantage being situated in the middle of the country. How many of your games are less than 2 hours away. My team Boro's nearest is pushing 2 hours and Sunderland's is more than that. It makes you think about travelling if you know you wont be back till after midnight due to the distance, also the expense is greater, coach fares, petrol.  do you think if geographical locations were reversed you would still be top of the heap. 

As I said good numbers and both tables have a nice look about them two Sheff clubs and two North East clubs at the top. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, oriss said:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves lads. Impressive as your numbers are lets not forget to factor in Distance travelled. Its one hell of an advantage being situated in the middle of the country. How many of your games are less than 2 hours away. My team Boro's nearest is pushing 2 hours and Sunderland's is more than that. It makes you think about travelling if you know you wont be back till after midnight due to the distance, also the expense is greater, coach fares, petrol.  do you think if geographical locations were reversed you would still be top of the heap. 

As I said good numbers and both tables have a nice look about them two Sheff clubs and two North East clubs at the top. 

If you are factoring in distance travelled then let's give a round of applause to Plymouth but let's also factor in time since being in Prem, average local wage, additional tickets that could have been sold if the home team gave you more, number of other League clubs within a 20 mile area etc. It's like saying do you think Blackburn would have so many if it wasn't for their Shearer era. It's worth noting as well that a large proportion of Wednesday fans make a full day of it regardless of who they are playing, with trains before 7am and 9pm returns booked for games that are only 100 miles away. Unfortunately, our away following counts for nothing, it doesn't even help us have a particularly good away record. 

I'm also so old that I remember a year when Wednesday, Newcastle, Chelsea and Man City were trying to go up from the 2nd tier and Leeds were also in the same division. Back then away numbers weren't recorded but there were estimates and the general consensus was Wednesday were top, Newcastle 2nd whilst home attendances were Newcastle top and Wednesday 2nd. It's irrelevant now of course, football has changed so much and at the peak of its growth we are nowhere to be seen. 

18 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Sunderland took 2900 to MK but had as many tickets available as us if needed. 

Just look at the distances Sunderland have to travel to away games. Can you imagine night games in London or Portsmouth for them.

34 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Just look at the distances Sunderland have to travel to away games. Can you imagine night games in London or Portsmouth for them.

Agreed, but they were in the top 3 most of the season, plus MK was back in August on a nice sunny Saturday. Comparatively, they had a bigger journey than us for MK (as they do for most fixtures) but there's was a start of season away match (we always take big followings at the start of every season), there game wasn't on sky, trains were available etc. It's not too long back our first away match of the season was Preston away and I think we were given 5000 and sold it pretty quickly, MK is only an hour more for Sunderland than Preston for us roughly. 

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Pigs are saying it’s because we get bigger allocations in league one… ignoring the fact they often don’t sell out, and that there’s some tiny allocations in our division that we could have sold out many times over.

They talk so much nonsense 

Look at the twitter comments under the Simon Jordan "Wednesday are bigger" talksport

tweet

About 50 of them have made the last averaged 30,000 point, as though its the only statistic that matters.

Meanwhile ignoring or trying to discredit the countless statistics that suggest Simon Jordan is right. 

And they call us deluded 

Sheffield is a average size city and has 2 clubs. Sunderland has only 1 team. 

If anyone could do the stats for population of city to number of supporters for both home and away games. Sheffield must be up there with the highest number of fans attending games per total city population. Manchester and Liverpool have 2 big clubs and are probably in top spot. 

I would be interested to see where London is in those stats. They have a lot of clubs in all divisions but have a very large population. 

14 hours ago, oriss said:

Are you ok? I and just about everybody I know don’t decide to travel judgin on the distance..it goes in allocatin u muppet...why did Wednesday take nearly 4K to gillingham and 2k to Lincoln?

Coach, Yes indeed I am ok. I'm in my 60's now so don't travel anymore, but in my youth besides the chances of being beaten to a pulp the deciding factor on if I went to a game or not was distance (also the importance of the game). Don't forget when your 4k pop off to the Gills, it about 2 hours extra going and 2 hours extra coming back. In my youth I did (and this is clubs we played obviously} all the lanc and Yorkshire clubs, the Midlands and London clubs. I  didn't do the Welsh ones your south west and south coast one ( except Pompey once in the cup). so in my case yes yes indeed distance  did indeed have a role in if I went to a game. To put it another way move to Teesside and see if an extra 4 hours plus on your traveling day has any effect on your choices.

On 14/05/2022 at 17:07, Baldrick said:

Great effort

I guess a lot depends on allocations. Probably not a lot between both leagues overall. League one offsets the smaller grounds with the likes of MK, Bolton.

Championship have probably Preston & Fulham, Barnsley as biggest allocations 

Not a lot of Championship allocations are under our average of 2,464.

Many League One allocations were under that amount.

I reckon if you worked out the total away allocations the difference between the divisions would be big.