Players Going Off To Obscure Clubs / Leagues

On a more serious note, the most surprising thing for me in the first week of the invasion was to learn that Kadeem Harris had ended up in Ukraine.

Believe he’s now on loan in Turkey.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Not necessarily obscure teams/leagues but it is interesting how many England international players have spent time abroad in recent years.

Abraham, Bellingham, Tomori all currently abroad whilst playing for England. Sancho and Trippier were the same until this season.

This has been such a rarity over the years. The last time you had a decent numbers playing abroad was when British clubs were banned from Europe and most of them just went to Scotland. And there was also a handful in the early 90s playing in Italy.

But for most of the PL era, all the England squad played in England.

Think it says a lot about how few chances young English players get these days at top English clubs. Just kept in the reserves or loaned out for years until they decide to give it a go abroad. Only Bellingham seems to have gone abroad entirely by choice, the rest have, to some extent, failed to get the game time they wanted in England, at least at one point.

10 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

The A-League this season had Jack Rodwell, Daniel Sturridge, Gary Hooper, Carl Jenkinson, Jordan Mutch, Craig Noone and Adam Le Fondre.

I've been trying to get into this, managed to catch the first five minutes of Weston utd vs Wellington. It's great that it's on free to air as well, nice to have that back.

Is it some sort of play off thing for the winners of the league, like in Rugby. So you have a league winner and then a grand final winner?

43 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I've been trying to get into this, managed to catch the first five minutes of Weston utd vs Wellington. It's great that it's on free to air as well, nice to have that back.

Is it some sort of play off thing for the winners of the league, like in Rugby. So you have a league winner and then a grand final winner?

Exactly that. There is controversy though. Some will say the league winner is the real winner, others say the grand final winner is.

12 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

Exactly that. There is controversy though. Some will say the league winner is the real winner, others say the grand final winner is.

I can see that might be an issue, would definitely cause issues in the UK that's for sure football wise.

I saw one of the Melbourne teams won the actual league. Just assumed it had finished.

Suspect mass will end up back here next season, but not sure where. I'd expect him to go back to Sydney though and if I'm honest, he's got at least two more years at champ level, so it'll be a big call for him to come back early.

Is that the same with the rugby, do they argue over that as well? Or is it a case it's always been like that? It seems that way of doing things in Rugby League has been adopted quite well and accepted (in the UK). (I'll be honest I wasn't a huge consumer of league in the UK, this is a layman perspective)

Edited by Maddogbob

26 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I can see that might be an issue, would definitely cause issues in the UK that's for sure football wise.

I saw one of the Melbourne teams won the actual league. Just assumed it had finished.

Suspect mass will end up back here next season, but not sure where. I'd expect him to go back to Sydney though and if I'm honest, he's got at least two more years at champ level, so it'll be a big call for him to come back early.

Is that the same with the rugby, do they argue over that as well? Or is it a case it's always been like that? It seems that way of doing things in Rugby League has been adopted quite well and accepted (in the UK). (I'll be honest I wasn't a huge consumer of league in the UK, this is a layman perspective)

Finals has been part of Rugby League almost since the start. It’s accepted the grand final winner are the champions.

That’s where the controversy comes from with the A-League. Because in football traditionally the champions are the team that finishes first on the ladder. Whereas Australian sport has the tradition of finals. I think for the most part they want the league standings to be the more important as is the football norm. But end of season finals generate interest and money, so it isn’t smart to not do this.

So what the A-League does is have two major trophies essentially. The Premiers are the team who finishes first, then the Champions who win the Grand Final. Compared to Rugby League which the team who finishes first are the minor premiers and forgotten about, while the Grand Final winners are the premiers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

Finals has been part of Rugby League almost since the start. It’s accepted the grand final winner are the champions.

That’s where the controversy comes from with the A-League. Because in football traditionally the champions are the team that finishes first on the ladder. Whereas Australian sport has the tradition of finals. I think for the most part they want the league standings to be the more important as is the football norm. But end of season finals generate interest and money, so it isn’t smart to not do this.

So what the A-League does is have two major trophies essentially. The Premiers are the team who finishes first, then the Champions who win the Grand Final. Compared to Rugby League which the team who finishes first are the minor premiers and forgotten about, while the Grand Final winners are the premiers.

Tbh I don't dislike the format, think with a few tweaks it could work at the top level in most leagues.

For example top 4 play off in the EPL to play in the grand final Charity Shield. Purists would hate it, but I think it would take away the meaningless overblown preseason friendly and add a three more meaningful games in the process and generate and extra two games for charity.

We couldn't have a state of origin type game though (north vs South), clubs would go bonkers if a player got injured.

Edited by Maddogbob