This time last season…

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

…I was wondering whether or not we’d have a club to follow in the coming season.

And if we did, I was worried that we’d be facing a struggle against successive relegations.

The first issue soon disappeared, and we started to sign new players. Freebies, Stoke’s 5th choice forward, loans, Burnley’s 4th choice keeper, and Prem academy rejects, Adeniran. Some players I’d never heard of were lauded on here as being pretty good (Shodipo). Soon we had enough players to make a team. Enough to make a squad. But whilst we had numbers, it was still a mixture of misfits, rejects and those who performed so badly and without passion as we got relegated just a few weeks earlier.

So thoughts of successive relegations dispersed to be replaced with a bit of optimism: 8th or 9th. Then Windass was injured. Out for at least two months (season ending would have been more accurate). I probably thought bottom half at this point but the blind optimism of the fan pushed me to stay with comfortably top half.

9 months later and we’ve finished 4th. To me, that’s overachieving. True, we messed up in the play-offs and we’ve conceded way too many late goals to lose points. But we’ve dealt with yet another massive injury list along the way. We’ve produced an entertaining style of play, plenty of goals, and a home record we’ve been dreaming of for years. 

A year after being concerned for the future of the club, I’m optimistic for next season. Another rebuild, but this time from a solid base. Moore did well in the transfer market last season, considering both hands were tied behind his back, and I’m confident that he’ll do as well this summer. He needs to address the tissue of beating teams that park the bus, especially away from home, and “putting games to bed” when we’re ahead, but with decent defensive recruits, a commanding keeper, and help for Gregory (a fit Windass might suffice) I’m confident of an improved league position next season.

Bring on pre-season. 

Really??

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I thunk the rule for this league are different its not based on losses but % of turnover but someone will be able to give the exact details.

Thanks for that - any more confirmation would be great.

It would also be good to know how it works if we're promoted to the Championship... would that mean the rolling £39million loss carries from League One?

The key thing in my thinking would be whether we're getting set up for another round of sanctions in the near future?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

I always scratch my head when I hear some of our fans say they expected us to finish in the bottom half so they’re happy with how it went.

The only fans who wanted us to finish in the bottom half are fans who want to be right about what they said about DM at the beginning of the season...like you 

I think this the OP is classic like anyone of glass of full or half empty

in the camp that not finishing in the playoffs would have been unacceptable I think promotion had to be the target the players talked about it all season and  we fell short 

ultimately we failed 

however the positives are there to be seen a much improved second half of the season, better more convincing performances 

so it my belief we will be at that title from the start next year and that’s our ultimate goal 

win the division 

or automatics 

win the playoffs 

anything else is a failure 

we ain’t here to rot in this division 

4 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

Some perspective is sorely needed. The last two times we were in this league:

2003-4 - 16th

2004-5 - 5th - promoted through play-offs

2010-11 - 15th

2011-12 - 2nd - automatically promoted

This time:

2021-22 - 4th

Now that's a huge improvement in my book.

always took a general reset we are not a L1/champ yoyo like Peterboro/Millers but this time we looked genuine in style and points 

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

The only fans who wanted us to finish in the bottom half are fans who want to be right about what they said about DM at the beginning of the season...like you 

No it’s not.. it’s people like you who have low standards

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Fans saying it’s an overachievement to finish 4th in L1

I think you’re oversimplifying and missing the point.

Consider the two extremes…

1) ALL our players suffer long term (Windass / Iorfa style) injuries early in the season leaving us to play U23s. Would you agree that finishing 4th in such circumstances is “overachievement”?

2) Chansiri splashes the cash and signs the best 11 players from the championship for our league 1 campaign. I’d agree that finishing 4th in such circumstances is seriously under achieving.

But in reality we weren’t at either extreme. We were somewhere in between, but we were much nearer scenario 1: a demoralised and demotivated squad, a chairman whose commitment and ability to fund the club was uncertain, a transfer embargo limiting us to freebies and rejects. In such circumstances, finishing 4th is an achievement in itself. Adding on the serious injury list, finishing 4th was better than we could, realistically, expect.

4th in league 1 is nothing to brag about or put on the honours board, but in the context of last summer and the following months, we overachieved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

We’re in league 1, the other teams aren’t very good. It’s quite easy to finish top 2, Rotherham did and we got more points than them last season in the championship. We brought in enough quality players for this level to achieve it.

A decent managers would have had us better organised at set plays, cut out so many late goals conceded, played players in the right positions, asked the players not to play out from the back so much when they can’t do it.. the net result would have been comfortably 5 points more for autos.

I always scratch my head when I hear some of our fans say they expected us to finish in the bottom half so they’re happy with how it went. It’s like they’ve not seen the teams in the bottom half, the players they have and the budgets they have.

How would the "Decent manager" have dealt with 12 1st team players out at the same time?.

Maybe this mythical "Decent manager" would have magicked 12 new players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

1) ALL our players suffer long term (Windass / Iorfa style) injuries early in the season leaving us to play U23s. Would you agree that finishing 4th in such circumstances is “overachievement”?

2) Chansiri splashes the cash and signs the best 11 players from the championship for our league 1 campaign. I’d agree that finishing 4th in such circumstances is seriously under achieving.

But in reality we weren’t at either extreme. We were somewhere in between, but we were much nearer scenario 1: a demoralised and demotivated squad, a chairman whose commitment and ability to fund the club was uncertain, a transfer embargo limiting us to freebies and rejects. In such circumstances, finishing 4th is an achievement in itself. Adding on the serious injury list, finishing 4th was better than we could, realistically, expect.

4th in league 1 is nothing to brag about or put on the honours board, but in the context of last summer and the following months, we overachieved.

100%.

But some of our fans expect miracles, this time last year I think we only had about6-7 players under contract, this time around we have double that.

Next season!, who knows?, but with the right players brought in anything can happen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I fail to see how playing one player from the under 23s for 560 minutes puts us closer to scenario 1 than the 25+ players e used who played in higher leagues last season.

I'd say we were a he'll of a lot closer to scenario 2.

OK I’ll jump in with 2 feet. I agree with an awful lot of the opening post because it’s mostly if not all spot on.

This club 12 months ago was broken. A complete shambles and the connection between the Chairman/Management/Players/Fans was so far apart it was untrue. Now even Moore’s most ardent critics must admit  the connection is much much closer and I would say the manager and the captain are a major reason for this and should be applauded as such.

Yes, we haven’t got promoted. Yes, mistakes were made but f**k me the style of play and atmosphere around the club is on another planet to what it’s been over the last 5 years. If some fans can’t see that then they deserve everything get the next time we appoint another Monk/Pulis style manager because if Moore gets forced out that’s what’s going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

How would the "Decent manager" have dealt with 12 1st team players out at the same time?.

Maybe this mythical "Decent manager" would have magicked 12 new players.

Can you name a game where we were really badly affected by injuries so I can look at the team sheet and see who was playing and on the bench. I get that we've had injuries but we also have a very large squad and I genuinely can't remember a game where I saw the team sheet and thought we shouldn't have been able to win the game

26 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Can you name a game where we were really badly affected by injuries so I can look at the team sheet and see who was playing and on the bench. I get that we've had injuries but we also have a very large squad and I genuinely can't remember a game where I saw the team sheet and thought we shouldn't have been able to win the game

Just because we are Sheffield Wednesday does not give us the right to win games, no matter who is in the squad.

As for naming games, no I cannot be ars-ed to look through the 46 games.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Can you, hand on heart, say that an hour before kick off you haven’t once had a thought along the lines of “it’s going to be a long afternoon”?

Perhaps you go to every game so don’t post, I don’t know, but the vast majority of match threads that I’ve read have been over whelmed with “I can’t see where the goals are coming from” or “that defence…eek” or “square pegs…”. Despite the negative views on the team selections we've only lost 10 games. We did well despite having to play, for example, Johnson and Paterson in the back three. 

Guest Jack the Hat
5 hours ago, 83owl said:

Fans saying it’s an overachievement to finish 4th in L1

It is

5 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Can you, hand on heart, say that an hour before kick off you haven’t once had a thought along the lines of “it’s going to be a long afternoon”?

Perhaps you go to every game so don’t post, I don’t know, but the vast majority of match threads that I’ve read have been over whelmed with “I can’t see where the goals are coming from” or “that defence…eek” or “square pegs…”. Despite the negative views on the team selections we've only lost 10 games. We did well despite having to play, for example, Johnson and Paterson in the back three. 

There's been more than a few games where the manager has made strange selections but we've always had enough available on match day despite the injuries to have had a good chance at winning the games IMHO. And we didn't win 24 times out of 48, so half of them.

Often when he played Johnson at centre back he could have played someone like Brennan but chose not to.