This time last season…

5 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Just because we are Sheffield Wednesday does not give us the right to win games, no matter who is in the squad.

As for naming games, no I cannot be ars-ed to look through the 46 games.

I'm pretty sure there weren't any games where we had a weaker line up than the opposition so that might explain why you're unable to name any.

7 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Often when he played Johnson at centre back he could have played someone like Brennan but chose not to.

Brennan is a right footed centre back. As a young player stepping up it would have been a risk too far to play him on the left where Johnson played.

The difficulty of playing on the left of a back three was highlighted by Johnson as a wing back: he had his best run of games when he had Gibson and / or Palmer behind him. Any other player, especially Hutchinson, failed miserably to form a decent partnership down the left wing. 

11 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

It is

So we apparently have done well in the transfer market, have a good manager and are a big club and 4th in L1 is an overachievement. 

Wonder where we would be if we were just doing ok? 

3 hours ago, 83owl said:

So we apparently have done well in the transfer market, have a good manager and are a big club and 4th in L1 is an overachievement. 

We did ok in the summer transfer market, nothing more. A couple of signings worked out well, a couple showed promise, most flopped or delivered infrequently.

But if you put it in the context of the situation last summer: recent failure to pay wages, relegation, a demotivated squad (what was left of it), a distant chairman with questionable commitment, and a transfer embargo, then we did well in the transfer market.

If we bring in the same quality of players this summer as we did last it would be viewed differently. 

Guest Jack the Hat
6 hours ago, 83owl said:

I read it wrong without my glasses. I think this season has been an underachievement .

On 13/05/2022 at 10:40, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

We’re in league 1, the other teams aren’t very good. It’s quite easy to finish top 2, Rotherham did and we got more points than them last season in the championship. We brought in enough quality players for this level to achieve it.

A decent managers would have had us better organised at set plays, cut out so many late goals conceded, played players in the right positions, asked the players not to play out from the back so much when they can’t do it.. the net result would have been comfortably 5 points more for autos.

I always scratch my head when I hear some of our fans say they expected us to finish in the bottom half so they’re happy with how it went. It’s like they’ve not seen the teams in the bottom half, the players they have and the budgets they have.

I'm not Moore's biggest fan, but if you are saying a decent manager would have got us a fair few more points, how many do you think they'd have actually got? I'd then ask how many points you think a really good manager, say like Jack Charlton, who won the Championship (was div 2 at the time) and took Ireland to heights they'd never been,  would have got? Just by way of reference, it took him 3 years to get us out of this division, we went up with less points than we got this season (if you convert the points we got 80 that year) and he had a transfer budget that allowed him to sign a top division player who was happy to drop two divisions even though he was playing regularly.

Again, I agree that there are some questionable areas of his management around tactics, late goals etc but we can't ever assess how many extra points his tactics have gained us from things he's done to that perhaps a "decent manager"  might not have done.

Yes Rotherham went up but they got more points than us last season, kept the same squad almost to a player and didn't suffer the injuries that we did. Plus they had a transfer budget and club stability. 

I genuinely think we need to cut Moore some slack. I'll repeat, I'm not convinced by him yet but he's not done too badly when you put things into context. He's also seemed to build a team spirit and we badly need that right now 

On 13/05/2022 at 10:40, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

We’re in league 1, the other teams aren’t very good. It’s quite easy to finish top 2, Rotherham did and we got more points than them last season in the championship. We brought in enough quality players for this level to achieve it.

A decent managers would have had us better organised at set plays, cut out so many late goals conceded, played players in the right positions, asked the players not to play out from the back so much when they can’t do it.. the net result would have been comfortably 5 points more for autos.

I always scratch my head when I hear some of our fans say they expected us to finish in the bottom half so they’re happy with how it went. It’s like they’ve not seen the teams in the bottom half, the players they have and the budgets they have.

So what manager would you have brought in that was any better?

Guest Musttryharder
On 13/05/2022 at 09:54, Tamworthowl said:

Finishing 4th in Div 3 is an embarrassment to a club of our stature and aspirations, and it’s nothing to brag about, but based on where we were and our expectations 12 months ago, it is an over achievement. Unless, of course, you thought that Moore could build a top two finish from the dregs of last season's demoralised relegation squad amidst the chaos of a transfer embargo and recent non payment of salaries. Nah, we overachieved against any reasonable expectation this season.

Did you factor in that DM had possibly the biggest wage budget in the league. If it was a choatic transfer embargo, then how come we could spaff millions on players wages who couldnt even get us out of this shiity league. Overachieved, no way.