Put Your Cards on the Table

Style of Play for Next Season   

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which style do you think we should recruit for and play next season?

• Expansive - As per Wigan, MKD, Us this season
    • Progmatic - As per Rotherham Sunderland Wycombe

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/05/22 at 07:08

55 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Because we're in League One and not every team had the ability to get in our faces and press effectively.

Looks like most of them couldn’t . Including the top 3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Enough teams did it to stop us getting promoted.

That's all that matters.

Really though it was the draws when we didnt put enough teams away in the first half of the season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Enough teams did it to stop us getting promoted.

That's all that matters.

Nowt to do with having all our centre halves and strikers in the treatment room half the season?

• Like 1

I like watching expansive football and it suits us at home on our big pitch. But away from home it just doesn’t always work because quite a few teams have tight pitches in tight grounds. We need a strategy of how to win tight games against teams who press us. We didn’t get beat that many times but we did draw way to many times, and that’s what’s going to have to be fixed to go up. 

It doesn’t necessarily have to be ugly, but we need to know how to nick a goal and defend our lead and then pick off teams on the counter. 

12 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Looks like most of them couldn’t . Including the top 3.

10 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Nowt to do with having all our centre halves and strikers in the treatment room half the season?

Enough did though or we'd be up now.

Are we really trying to blame injuries again for a tactical issue.

We've been weak to the press all this year, when we've had most of our players available.

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Enough did though or we'd be up now.

Are we really trying to blame injuries again for a tactical issue.

We've been weak to the press all this year, when we've had most of our players available.

Would we have gained another 6 points, if we’d had the majority of our centre halves and strikers available for the whole season?

• Like 2

Just now, Sham67 said:

Would we have gained another 6 points, if we’d had the majority of our centre halves and strikers available for the whole season?

Don't know, we could have dropped even more.

The period in February where we had a makeshift side was our best period all season, took 5 clean sheets from 8.

As soon as we got everyone back, we started playing our normal game and started dropping points again.

Maybe DM's first choice team wouldn't have done anything? Who knows?

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

Don't know, we could have dropped even more.

The period in February where we had a makeshift side was our best period all season, took 5 clean sheets from 8.

As soon as we got everyone back, we started playing our normal game and started dropping points again.

Maybe DM's first choice team wouldn't have done anything? Who knows?

I get the feeling that even if we achieve 136 points next season.  You’d spend all summer moaning about the 2 we’d dropped.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I get the feeling that even if we achieve 136 points next season.  You’d spend all summer moaning about the 2 we’d dropped.

No, because then we'd be going up.

The thing is, are we weak to the press?

Because if we are, and stay that way, we won't be getting promoted any time soon.

Injuries, draws, expansive football all count for nothing if all you need to do to negate it is work harder.

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

We got 85pts and lost just 9 of 46 games how the feck could we have record like that and be clueless , weak and prone to crumbling ....

I said we look clueless etc when we get pressed. I didnt say it was the case all season.

Any team that put a press on us this year mostly made us look like quite poor. Do you not agree?  Same as any team that gave us space and time made us look like we should score 7 every game. All i said was i wanted expansive football, but with the ability to not look and play poo each and every time someone played pressing tactics against us. 85 points in a season doesnt change the fact we played some very poor football at times. 

1 hour ago, OwlinOldham said:

Any team that put a press on us this year mostly made us look like quite poor. Do you not agree?   

no .......and i dont agree that  we crumble.look weak and  clueless like you said in the previous post either .....

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

no .......and i dont agree that  we crumble.look weak and  clueless like you said in the previous post either .....

Well thats the beauty of opinions. We all have one and theres nowt that says they have to be the same.

I maybe should have chosen my orginal wording a bit better when making my point, but i stand by that we have been pretty woeful at times when put under the press by teams. Same as when Bannan gets man marked, We run out of ideas and just revert to aimless long balls and looking panicked on the ball. 

However, lets just agree to disagree.

Expansive football.

You can call Moore and Smith tactically naïve, and I have, but they have developed Bannan as a player and a style of play for the team. Knee jerk reaction from me was too sack Moore on the evening, but looking back, I think he's shown he's capable of building something far greater than this season's effort.

Life's too short for two banks of four and scraping 1-0 nil victories.

Football is supposed to be unpredictable....

Edited by Revenant
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

When we [played wigan at home I thought they were one of the worst teams this season..

We beat MK twice, and they are still in the same division as us.

Totally agree with this.

Thought Wigan were bang average at Hillsborough.

MK played some nice stuff in both games though didn't feel that worried in either game that we wouldn't win.

Suppose that says more about us than those teams though to be fair.