Put Your Cards on the Table

Style of Play for Next Season   

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which style do you think we should recruit for and play next season?

• Expansive - As per Wigan, MKD, Us this season
    • Progmatic - As per Rotherham Sunderland Wycombe

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/05/22 at 07:08

So are we recruiting to play our current brand of football - easy on the eye - trying to play through the thirds.?

Or do we go for something different- hard working winning machine - not pretty but effective?

No cop out hybrid we can do both. Neither guarantees promotion btw.

5 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

If you change your style of play, your recruitment model and players every year with no direction from above you will underperform for 20 years+ and maybe even slide down the divisions...

Oh... 

When we [played wigan at home I thought they were one of the worst teams this season..

We beat MK twice, and they are still in the same division as us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kristmace said:

We need to be able to do both and switch when needed. The expansive approach has worked 80% of the time this season. The lack of a plan B has cost us. 

Cop out. Name a team that does that?

• Like 1

Don't think it is as black and white as the options, but as those are the options, stick with what we've done this season. As fudge has said, you keep changing, you have no identity or direction. Now we have something that can be built on, success isn't instant but as fans, we have to have a degree of patience - which I know is a big ask as well.

Edited by moyaowl
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, kristmace said:

We need to be able to do both and switch when needed. The expansive approach has worked 80% of the time this season. The lack of a plan B has cost us. 

Press us high, like Sunderland did, and we struggle. We end up lumping it up to an isolated Gregory, surrounded by 2 CH he hasn’t a chance. We need either a big lump to play alongside him and hold the ball up, or some real speed merchant to run in behind them. Personally I prefer the latter. NML hasn’t worked up front (or anywhere else in my opinion). If we could find a young, tall, mobile CF that would be great.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

When we [played wigan at home I thought they were one of the worst teams this season..

We beat MK twice, and they are still in the same division as us.

Not really relevant to what I said but cool. 

More a point about if you change what you want or how you want to get there all the time you'll never progress 

I believe there’s room to change yes of course. 
For me we need a big target man who can adapt to both styles hate to say but a little like George Hirst. We were found out sometimes by the Lincoln’s and Gillinghams and that for me is where we lost out those games that we should be winning on the smaller compact grounds. Let’s not make that mistake again. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Press us high, like Sunderland did, and we struggle. We end up lumping it up to an isolated Gregory, surrounded by 2 CH he hasn’t a chance. We need either a big lump to play alongside him and hold the ball up, or some real speed merchant to run in behind them. Personally I prefer the latter. NML hasn’t worked up front (or anywhere else in my opinion). If we could find a young, tall, mobile CF that would be great.

We tried this.

It's why NML and Windass v Sunderland was put up front.

But it doesn't work with Gregory because the fast one needs to be on the last man, with the other one running round pressing and making space.

What we got was Gregory on the last man with NML before and Windass v Sunderland running around pressing and trying to make space, where if it was the other way round, the press wouldn't have worked as the long ball threat would have opened up midfield.

The first leg, once Windass came on and running behind, we got space and started to get on top.

It worked with Pato, bar the finishing v Rotherham, but it beat the press and we were getting through.

The way we got promoted in 2012 is some of the most I've ever enjoyed watching Wednesday, and I think that team/style would have got promoted this season. 

However it's not going to happen. Moore has committed to his style and he's not going to reshape the team or recruit to do anything else.

My issue is that too often this season we've been neither tough nor expansive. Too often we've looked like we don't have a style or system, or been caught between the two. The Sunderland games especially were complete garbage. So if Moore's system is more of the "expansive" style, he needs to get better at it and sign players who are better suited to it. 

• Like 2

I think the biggest issue is the style of play, we change game to game to match the teams we play instead of setting the team to play our way and force the other team to change to play our way.

The preseason focus needs to be fitness, fast flowing football when we have the ball, getting it out to the wings and balls into the box. Then pressing high when without the ball.

this style of play needs fitness and players giving everything, every game, but when you rest players those coming in play the same way.

thats why the likes of Paterson, Dunkley and a few of the others need moving on, they dont fit our style of play.

• Like 1