Callum Paterson

I might be in the minority but I thought he struggled this season. He certainly found goals harder to come by a level lower. 

If he stays, he’ll be the proverbial squad player where he’s a jack of all trades and sadly master of none. This may sound harsh and probably is but I just don’t see him being any more effective next season than he has been this? Happy to be proved wrong though.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

If you're talking about the 10,000 a week wage that keeps getting mentioned online, he's on nowhere near that.

Whilst not knowing his exact salary and have no desire to either, It would be fair to say he will most likely be at the top end of the structure as we paid a fee for him and being a Championship team at the time. 

If that assessment is incorrect I am happy to stand corrected as you will have far greater knowledge in that area than the vast majority on here. 

I fully acknowledge his gives it his all each and everytime he goes on the pitch and know he will next season if he stays and plays always the possibility a transfer could occur. 

However after two seasons I cannot say with any great certainty what his primary role is in the team or that he will be given a starting role to make his own. 

As it has been incorrectly reported on here that is was option to extend his contract, under those circumstances I personally would have preferred for the Club not to extend and bring in a player who would be a first choice in a given position, as it stands Callum is here for another year and he will no doubt give 100% when he plays which ultimately is what we as supporters want as we have seen more than our fair share of more talented individuals fail to show the same level of commitment and professionalism. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

I might be in the minority but I thought he struggled this season. He certainly found goals harder to come by a level lower. 

If he stays, he’ll be the proverbial squad player where he’s a jack of all trades and sadly master of none. This may sound harsh and probably is but I just don’t see him being any more effective next season than he has been this? Happy to be proved wrong though.

Thought he'd look a class above in L1 but think really he is a L2 player who has just done very well for himself so far. If he was on a Joe Wildsmith wage I wouldn't be bothered but he isn't.

30 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Sure I heard somewhere that Cardiff were subsidising his wages but that now ends.

Just said in another thread that it makes no sense to me to keep a player on champ wages who can`t get into a league 1 team.

That's a good point. Paying championship level wages for a player to sit on the bench is crazy. 

As a club, do we want one player to do a job in two positions, or two proper players for those positions (supposing the total wage cost similar for squad players)

Doesn't matter what his wage, ehatever we are paying its too much for what he offers ,which is slightly above zero 

Another player we are paying a good wage too who ain't contributing nothing 

• Like 2

Hope for his sake we give him a free transfer. Everytime he hit abit of form he was back out of the team, criminally underused from the bench at times too. 

He’s not sparkling but he’s definitely effective, gives everything for the shirt and better than most on here would have you believe. One I’d love to see do well at Wednesday but think he’d be better suited somewhere that appreciates his skill set more. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Whilst not knowing his exact salary and have no desire to either, It would be fair to say he will most likely be at the top end of the structure as we paid a fee for him and being a Championship team at the time. 

If that assessment is incorrect I am happy to stand corrected as you will have far greater knowledge in that area than the vast majority on here. 

I fully acknowledge his gives it his all each and everytime he goes on the pitch and know he will next season if he stays and plays always the possibility a transfer could occur. 

However after two seasons I cannot say with any great certainty what his primary role is in the team or that he will be given a starting role to make his own. 

As it has been incorrectly reported on here that is was option to extend his contract, under those circumstances I personally would have preferred for the Club not to extend and bring in a player who would be a first choice in a given position, as it stands Callum is here for another year and he will no doubt give 100% when he plays which ultimately is what we as supporters want as we have seen more than our fair share of more talented individuals fail to show the same level of commitment and professionalism. 

Like everybody else, his wage was cut substantially after relegation. There were clauses in everybody's contracts when they went down.

Agree that he'll always give everything.

• Thanks 1

He’s useful to have at the club not least for his versatility but you never know which Patti is going to turn up. However he’s  the kind of player the we all disliked playing against us and bemoaned not having that type of player in the squad. 
unfortunately he got more yellow cards than goals this season but that’s part of what he is 

I’m happy to have him around next season if he can find some kind of consistency 

8 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

Like everybody else, his wage was cut substantially after relegation. There were clauses in everybody's contracts when they went down.

Agree that he'll always give everything.

I'm not expecting you to disclose details of course, but do you have a rough idea where Paterson's wage sits in relation to the rest of the squad?

Is he one of our best paid players as some have suggested on here, for example?

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not expecting you to disclose details of course, but do you have a rough idea where Paterson's wage sits in relation to the rest of the squad?

Is he one of our best paid players as some have suggested on here, for example?

As far as I'm aware he'll be around the average wage for the rest of the squad. Some of the figures I've seen posted are miles off.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, striker said:

Nothing personally against him, seems a good character and can't fault his effort, but I genuinely don't see what he brings to the party from a footballing perspective. 

I know Moore likes a versatile player, but wish we'd find a position for him so he can contribute something, other than running around and giving absolutely stupid fouls away. 

There is a player in him, where on the pitch that is, I have no idea. 

I’m in this camp. 

He’s seem very popular with the team and I can never fault his effort, but I think L1 is a level too high for him still. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor Duran said:

Can't understand the hatred tbh.

Decent player for us in this league.

No hatred from me

I just don't think he's very good and if he's on a decent wedge, surely there's better cheaper options out there

And if he is on a decent wedge, it's a lot to pay for a bench warmer

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Good to see there will still be a boo boy for next season and people will still struggle to spell his name.

He is an utility player who doesnt grumble wherever he is asked to play. You can't fault his effort and over a long season he is an assett.

Glad he will be staying.

• Like 2

Rather have a player who can just play consistently well in 1 position or 2 max . Problem is with Paterson is he’s just a back up in all the positions he plays . Rather get rid and sign a proper target man 6ft 3/4 up front for a different option . Pato does and always has worked hard but i would have preferred us to look elsewhere .

Despite people saying he is useless/ stealing a wage etc he does give us cover in numerous positions . Paul Madeley at LUFC was a good example of a utility player not quite up to holding a regular place but capable of covering.