Hillsborough Improvements

Just now, hallam_stallion said:

What about the light it would block from all those houses if you started encroaching further onto that space with high stands? 

Doubt you'd get it through the planning permission stage with all of the objections.

Who’s mentioned increasing the height of the stand?

Just now, hallam_stallion said:

Let's be honest... you just don't like the idea of not being able to walk to the ground right? 😄

No reason to give a solution to the terrible parking and access issues 🤷‍♂️

What access issues.  It’s built at the side of the major north/south thoroughfare of the city.  Anyone who has a problem parking less than 10 minutes walk of the ground, doesn’t know the area. There’s a tram stop within 2 minutes walk of the stadium.  There’s a train station less than 10 minutes walk from the ground that could be reopened and utilised if necessary 

I’ve yet to be told of this mythical stadium where everyone is in their car and halfway home 10 minutes after full time.  Feel free to enlighten me.  

Some people want change just for the sake of change.  There’s nothing that can be done moving to a new location within the urban area, that can’t be done at Hillsborough.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, hallam_stallion said:

Nobody... but move 20 yards closer and so does the shadow the stands would cast + light they would directly block.

It would if you built any expansion at the same height.  If you restrict the height to within the current shadow, there wouldn’t be a problem.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Don't know how much the land cost. It stands on 7.7 acres, which they bought in 2013.

I'm sure a brownfield site in Sheffield would be considerably cheaper.

I believe their stadium capacity can be increased to 25K. We only need 25-30K capacity.

I was at Brentford's stadium last week and it was impressive and had a great atmosphere.

When it was built they used 50% less concrete and 30% less steel than originally planned for due to advancements in building technology.

They have a rainwater harvesting facility and a solar power plant that provides a lot of their power. The stadium has a very low carbon footprint.

We need a 30 to 40k capacity if as ambitious as the fans want...it needs to be future proof just in case we get good..

We need a stadium at least twice as big as Brentford.

Brentford's ground was originally costed at £50M, it eventually went up to £70m plus.. within 3yrs....even though the advancement of building tech...that's just construction costs.

As for solar power...we are all paying for it in subsidies.

The rainwater thing is just box ticking...we have probs with too much water.

We could probably demolish Hillsborough and build a new 30 to 40k capacity stadium on the same site for around £125m.

To buy land and build elswhere within the city would cost a whole lot more...even if land was available.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hallam_stallion said:

It was literally millimetres away from being repeated 6 months ago.

Ask any insurers or builders if they'll simply forget what happened (and was nearly repeated in the past year) if you asked them if they could lower the insurance premiums / build on it...

If the flood risk is that bad.  The residents of Vere Road must be desperate to move.  It’s at the same elevation as the stadium.

9 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

What access issues.  It’s built at the side of the major north/south thoroughfare of the city.  Anyone who has a problem parking less than 10 minutes walk of the ground, doesn’t know the area. There’s a tram stop within 2 minutes walk of the stadium.  There’s a train station less than 10 minutes walk from the ground that could be reopened and utilised if necessary 

I’ve yet to be told of this mythical stadium where everyone is in their car and halfway home 10 minutes after full time.  Feel free to enlighten me.  

Some people want change just for the sake of change.  There’s nothing that can be done moving to a new location within the urban area, that can’t be done at Hillsborough.

I don't know if its a Sheffield / South Yorkshire thing (I'm born + bred and still live here btw before you ask), but change is mostly met with fear and suspicion around here... hence why places like Leeds and Manchester have left us behind as cities commercially and facilities-wise over the last 30 years.

Unfortunately Sheffield Wednesday as a club as also stuck longing for the 1990s with a stadium that (I'm afraid to say) is still the same as it was in 1996; albeit with a lot more wear and tear.

On this subject its time for the club and some of the fans to stop looking inward and start thinking about the future... or at least catching up with the 21st century.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hallam_stallion said:

I don't know if its a Sheffield / South Yorkshire thing (I'm born + bred and still live here btw before you ask), but change is mostly met with fear and suspicion around here... hence why places like Leeds and Manchester have left us behind as cities commercially and facilities-wise over the last 30 years.

Unfortunately Sheffield Wednesday as a club as also stuck longing for the 1990s with a stadium that (I'm afraid to say) is still the same as it was in 1996; albeit with a lot more wear and tear.

On this subject its time for the club and some of the fans to stop looking inward and start thinking about the future... or at least catching up with the 21st century.

I thought the discussion was about upgrading Hillsborough for the 21st century.

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

If the flood risk is that bad.  The residents of Vere Road must be desperate to move.  It’s at the same elevation as the stadium.

Also their properties would be virtually worthless and impossible to sell.

4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

The flood risk is minimal...the reason it flooded in 2007 was because the foookin council did not maintain the river for 50yrs.

Environment Agency.  If you’re going to start apportioning blame, at least get the correct body. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Environment Agency.  If you’re going to start apportioning blame, at least get the correct body. 

Ordinary water courses are the responsibilty of local authorities...besides which the EA didn't get extra powers until 2008..

A year after the flood.

At least try and pretend you know what you are talking about.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Ordinary water courses are the responsibilty of local authorities...besides which the EA didn't get extra powers until 2008..

A year after the flood.

At least try and pretend you know what you are talking about.

I was going from memory, which is never a good idea.  Looks like I owe you an apology.  Sorry mate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

The flood risk is minimal...the reason it flooded in 2007 was because the foookin council did not maintain the river for 50yrs.

You mean environment agency 

6 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Completely agree

I loved the ground. Hillsborough has always been part of Sheffield Wednesday for me.

It's in my soul and always will be.

By the age of 16 I'd stood and sat in every section except the directors box. Even the Lep terrace.

The walk to the ground, seeing the floodlights as we approached, anticipation and excitement.

I used to sit on the uncovered kop at half one when they opened the gates and admire the stadium as it filled up. I was so proud of the ground, the status, the flags on the North Stand, the finest example of a cantilever structure in Europe. The semi-final venue.

55,000 capacity at one stage in the late 70s and more seats (23,250) than any venue in the country outside of Wembley.

Some of us used to go to away games and sing "What a fxxkin shxtty ground". And that was every away game, even when we got back in the top league and went to Goodison, White Hart Lane etc.

There's no doubt the eighties board were tight. Sir Howard may well have won us the title if he'd been funded in any decent way. But I struggle to agree with an earlier post that they did the kop on the cheap. No one was complaining when they extended the terrace and put a roof on it at a cost of £1 million. Yes, a significant chunk of that £1m came from grants, but not only covering it but extending it as well was stunning at the time. The missed opportunity and ******** up came in the early nineties, a different, easier spending board who simply reprofiled the terracing and bolted seats onto it and behind pillars. That's when the whole earth bank should have been removed and a new stand built with capacity for concourse facilities.

One of the worst days of my life 15 April 1989. 

Hillsborough has never been the same for me since. I know others may not agree and that's fine. I envy you. I know there are now many fans at Hillsborough and at other clubs who weren't born and don't remember that one dreadful, sunny day. 

Hillsborough still excites me. Blimey, the team even occasionally make me forget. But it's sadly still there. If we stay, the West stand has to go. In my view it should have gone a long, long time ago. Redeveloped for something new, different, cheap or expensive, but respectful.

I know we've spent money changing the South stand and covering the kop but the West stand was the last new stand built at Hillsborough. And that was 1965. We haven't built a new stand in nearly 60 years.

In the last 30 years, every club in the league except us and QPR has built at least one new stand. QPR last built a new stand in 1981.

38 clubs have built a new ground in that time. That's nearly half the league.

It shows how far we have fallen behind. 

We don't have the money, but if we did. Clear the West stand,  build something that fits with the North and wraps round to join it in the North West corner. Remove the kop and earth banking and do what should have been done in the early nineties. Free up space behind the North stand for concourse and access. They did a good job of the South stand ahead of Euro96 but it's facilities are a quarter of a century out of date.

We haven't built a new stand for almost 60 years FFS.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Turn the club shop into a social club/sports bar. The club shop is a vacuous mess of Adem Poric mouse mats, Ozzie Owl embossed Christmas boubles and retro kits that didn’t sell first time around. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

I loved the ground. Hillsborough has always been part of Sheffield Wednesday for me.

It's in my soul and always will be.

By the age of 16 I'd stood and sat in every section except the directors box. Even the Lep terrace.

The walk to the ground, seeing the floodlights as we approached, anticipation and excitement.

I used to sit on the uncovered kop at half one when they opened the gates and admire the stadium as it filled up. I was so proud of the ground, the status, the flags on the North Stand, the finest example of a cantilever structure in Europe. The semi-final venue.

55,000 capacity at one stage in the late 70s and more seats (23,250) than any venue in the country outside of Wembley.

Some of us used to go to away games and sing "What a fxxkin shxtty ground". And that was every away game, even when we got back in the top league and went to Goodison, White Hart Lane etc.

There's no doubt the eighties board were tight. Sir Howard may well have won us the title if he'd been funded in any decent way. But I struggle to agree with an earlier post that they did the kop on the cheap. No one was complaining when they extended the terrace and put a roof on it at a cost of £1 million. Yes, a significant chunk of that £1m came from grants, but not only covering it but extending it as well was stunning at the time. The missed opportunity and ******** up came in the early nineties, a different, easier spending board who simply reprofiled the terracing and bolted seats onto it and behind pillars. That's when the whole earth bank should have been removed and a new stand built with capacity for concourse facilities.

One of the worst days of my life 15 April 1989. 

Hillsborough has never been the same for me since. I know others may not agree and that's fine. I envy you. I know there are now many fans at Hillsborough and at other clubs who weren't born and don't remember that one dreadful, sunny day. 

Hillsborough still excites me. Blimey, the team even occasionally make me forget. But it's sadly still there. If we stay, the West stand has to go. In my view it should have gone a long, long time ago. Redeveloped for something new, different, cheap or expensive, but respectful.

I know we've spent money changing the South stand and covering the kop but the West stand was the last new stand built at Hillsborough. And that was 1965. We haven't built a new stand in nearly 60 years.

In the last 30 years, every club in the league except us and QPR has built at least one new stand. QPR last built a new stand in 1981.

38 clubs have built a new ground in that time. That's nearly half the league.

It shows how far we have fallen behind. 

We don't have the money, but if we did. Clear the West stand,  build something that fits with the North and wraps round to join it in the North West corner. Remove the kop and earth banking and do what should have been done in the early nineties. Free up space behind the North stand for concourse and access. They did a good job of the South stand ahead of Euro96 but it's facilities are a quarter of a century out of date.

We haven't built a new stand for almost 60 years FFS.

Top post fella and totally agree with your views on the west stand. UTO 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 11:23, owls maniac said:

Repaint the Kop and North Stand exterior. 

Repaint top of Presto Stand. 

Flags back on the North Stand poles. 

Fan park in Hillsborough park 

Replacement of faded blue seats

Thats enough to be going on lol 

I agree mate hate the idea of knocking things down and modernising everything I love the old feel of Hillsborough and I feel the ground will lose its personality if we just make it into a fishbowl type ground. Renovations not replacements!

• Love 1