Hillsborough Improvements

10 hours ago, A47Owl said:

Am I right in thinking the ground doesn't belong to  the club. It belongs to Mr Chansiri or one of his made up companies? 

Until we own our own ground then the landlord is responsible for any decorating and repainting. I think.. 

Depends what the conditions of the lease are.

On most occasions the person/business/tenant is expected to decorate and maintain certain parts of the building, sometimes it is on a full repair basis where you even have to be responsible for the roof etc....

I read somewhere you would need 15 acres to build a football stadium and that's without parking facilities.

And around £0.5b - £0.75b to build.

So there's nowhere in sheffield to build one and no money to pay for it.

Apart from that it could be a goer..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Bit dramatic …    It needs modernising absolutely,   It’s not an absolute mess though is it 

More than adequate for what we need while we concentrate on getting out of this division,   Bit insane to start expecting millions to be spent on the ground 

The pitch is a mess after a few games, half the bulbs don’t work in the floodlights, half the ground hasn’t been painted for years and looks like a rust bucket, no hot water in multiple stands toilets.

That’s just basics which we can’t even do right. People clamouring for a bigger ground and more seats must be from a different planet.

19 hours ago, Eastern said:

Would it not depend on costs though?

It only takes a few games over a few years to pay for renovations .

Nonsense. We only ever get close to filling it now with the playoff games. Unless you plan on us staying in L1 forever so that we have a chance to get in the playoffs every year.

1 hour ago, Mr Meadows said:

Love hillsborough

but let’s face it, it’s a massive s h I t hole now

of which there is no way round it, other than moving 

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

How did Liverpool manage it at Anfield.

14 minutes ago, 83owl said:

The pitch is a mess after a few games, half the bulbs don’t work in the floodlights, half the ground hasn’t been painted for years and looks like a rust bucket, no hot water in multiple stands toilets.

That’s just basics which we can’t even do right. People clamouring for a bigger ground and more seats must be from a different planet.

Not been this season?

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

we have home record second to none and you want the pitch changed ........why ?.....

The issues we had in the early part of the year, when the excuse was the stand shadow was causing it.

The fact the players, the manager, other managers, the fans, the press all said the pitch was cutting up and not great in places.

the fact we have had another 10+ players all injured with the same strain injury that could well be being caused from the state of the playing service at both the ground and the training pitches.

2 hours ago, El Wednesday said:

We need to move on. New stadium, new era for the club.

Doesn't have to be an identikit bowl, get a decent architect and create something truly iconic that will put Sheffield back on the football map. 

I agree. I have been going to Hillsborough for 50 years now and have always loved it. It holds many memories, good and bad,  but it's got to the state now we're it's not fit for purpose.

To bring it up to modern standards and keeping it there would cost fortunes. 

Along with access issues (getting to, inside and outside the stadium) and the legacy of the disaster. I do believe it's time to move to a new stadium and a new future.

A stadium along the lines of MK's, with a 30K capacity and the scope to extend if we get to the PL.

A stadium with easy access and parking. With opportunities to bring in other commercial income such as concerts, exhibitions etc. A stadium that can be used by the community.

It doesn't have to be a boring identikit stadium like Derby, Stoke, Southampton. A bit of imagination could create something different and unique.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I agree. I have been going to Hillsborough for 50 years now and have always loved it. It holds many memories, good and bad,  but it's got to the state now we're it's not fit for purpose.

To bring it up to modern standards and keeping it there would cost fortunes. 

Along with access issues (getting to, inside and outside the stadium) and the legacy of the disaster. I do believe it's time to move to a new stadium and a new future.

A stadium along the lines of MK's, with a 30K capacity and the scope to extend if we get to the PL.

A stadium with easy access and parking. With opportunities to bring in other commercial income such as concerts, exhibitions etc. A stadium that can be used by the community.

It doesn't have to be a boring identikit stadium like Derby, Stoke, Southampton. A bit of imagination could create something different and unique.

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

They bought up several streets with dozens of  houses that they knocked down

(a process that took years). To give them the land to build a completely new main stand.

The Centenary stand is still hemmed in by terraces houses.

They are currently extending the Anfield Road stand by building on the road that runs behind it. Imagine the outcry if Leppings Lane was lost by building a new West stand on it.

The area is still a dump with poor access and no parking. I think originally Liverpool ideally wanted to move to a brand new stadium. They had planning permission and support from the council to build a new one on Stanley Park but changed their minds.

Here is an old article about their situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/07/liverpool-new-stadium-city-fans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

I read somewhere you would need 15 acres to build a football stadium and that's without parking facilities.

And around £0.5b - £0.75b to build.

So there's nowhere in sheffield to build one and no money to pay for it.

Apart from that it could be a goer..

£500 - £750 Million?

Brentford's new stadium cost £71 Million and that's at London prices.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

£500 - £750 Million?

Brentford's new stadium cost £71 Million and that's at London prices.

That was construction costs..how much for the land.? And it holds 17k

Edited by sherlyegg

18 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

They bought up several streets with dozens of  houses that they knocked down

(a process that took years). To give them the land to build a completely new main stand.

The Centenary stand is still hemmed in by terraces houses.

They are currently extending the Anfield Road stand by building on the road that runs behind it. Imagine the outcry if Leppings Lane was lost by building a new West stand on it.

The area is still a dump with poor access and no parking. I think originally Liverpool ideally wanted to move to a brand new stadium. They had planning permission and support from the council to build a new one on Stanley Park but changed their minds.

Here is an old article about their situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/07/liverpool-new-stadium-city-fans

So, it is possible to upgrade without moving.  
To bring Hillsborough up to 21st century standards, we would only need to demolish half of one side of Vere Road and the houses on Leppings Lane contiguous to the stadium.  There is more than enough room within the current footprint to replace both the Kop and West Stand.

21 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yeah and I bet there aren't many of their fans wishing they still had the old WHL stadium 

It's built in the same place.

Don't think many would complain if Hillsborough was demolished as long as the new ground was built in the same place.

1. Hot (or even cold) running water in the toilets. It really is a disgrace that a football stadium in this day and age cannot get the plumbing sorted so that folk can was their hands. 

2. Sort the catering out. Franchise the lot out to people who know what they’re doing. Independent breweries/ restaurants/  Chain pubs, whatever. And staff them properly so that you don’t have to neck a full pint because the players are coming out for the second half and you started queueing 15 mins ago. 

3.  Give the place a good lick of paint and a general clean. I know its probably a full time job on something that big, but it would at least smarten the place up a bit

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

So, it is possible to upgrade without moving.  
To bring Hillsborough up to 21st century standards, we would only need to demolish half of one side of Vere Road and the houses on Leppings Lane contiguous to the stadium.  There is more than enough room within the current footprint to replace both the Kop and West Stand.

Yes it's possible but is it financially viable compared to relocating to a brand new purpose built stadium. 

I think any ideas of buying up half of Vere Road and houses on Leppings Lane is a non starter.

The problem with the Kop is access and egress is within a few feet of a main dual carriageway.

We could even demolish the current stands and build a smaller, more efficient and modern stadium on the current footprint. 

We don't need a huge half empty stadium. 25-30K capacity will do but there needs to be room for expansion for when we get to the PL. 😉

25 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

That was construction costs..how much for the land.? And it holds 17k

Don't know how much the land cost. It stands on 7.7 acres, which they bought in 2013.

I'm sure a brownfield site in Sheffield would be considerably cheaper.

I believe their stadium capacity can be increased to 25K. We only need 25-30K capacity.

I was at Brentford's stadium last week and it was impressive and had a great atmosphere.

When it was built they used 50% less concrete and 30% less steel than originally planned for due to advancements in building technology.

They have a rainwater harvesting facility and a solar power plant that provides a lot of their power. The stadium has a very low carbon footprint.

• Like 1