Hillsborough Improvements

Guest hirstysfags
1 hour ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Spend less on players and spend a small amount on stadium maintenance - the players shouldn't continue to be the only beneficiaries - otherwise what will we have to show for the investment, the infrastructure won't be there.

League 2 football in a 40000 stadium. Fantastic.

1 hour ago, Eastern said:

Can we not look to have capacity increased by addressing what safety issues exist?

We have 39,000 seats, but can only sell 33,000 tickets.

I can’t imagine a bigger waste of money than to increase the capacity of a stadium that is only ever half full.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hirstysfags said:

League 2 football in a 40000 stadium. Fantastic.

That's how football has become so distorted - the view that you shouldn't spend a small percentage of your turnover on your stadium / training facilities, the academy etc because it will harm performance in the pitch - why will it? Percentages should be built in to spend on these things regardless as any other good business. Has spending very little on these things over the last 20 years helped us? If so, it's not obvious but Hillsborough's lack of maintenance is. It may be obvious in the cars and houses that footballers own though - not having a go at out players - I really like them as a group, I am generalising about the distortion in football.

• Thanks 1

Would it be possible to widen the concourses behind the North with some sort of suspended floor on stilts? Could then get people eating and drinking out of the flow and maybe provide shelving to lean on, stand a glass etc. could then probs have tellys back.

• Like 3

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, WBridgfordowl said:

Where would the money come from, we’re losing millions and millions from our day to day business?

I'm sure there will be grants to assist and financing ground improvements shouldn't impact the running of the football side of the club.

keep putting it off and it will never get it sorted other clubs manage to build new stadia and see it as an importent investment done correctly new facilities could bring in extra revenue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest hirstysfags
4 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

That's how football has become so distorted - the view that you shouldn't spend a small percentage of your turnover on your stadium / training facilities, the academy etc because it will harm performance in the pitch - why will it? Percentages should be built in to spend on these things regardless as any other good business. Has spending very little on these things over the last 20 years helped us? If so, it's not obvious but Hillsborough's lack of maintenance is. It may be obvious in the cars and houses that footballers own though - not having a go at out players - I really like them as a group, I am generalising about the distortion in football.

I personally don't think we should spend a penny on the stadium until we have a settled successful team on the pitch. I'm not interested on what's on the menu or how fast you get served. Or even if there's a bit of rust here and there. I turn up, sit down. watch the match then go home. Unless there's a guaranteed quick ROI then why bother?

32 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

That ship has sailed if you’re hoping for any Hillsborough ground improvements under DC.

With the money we spent on Rhodes, Abdi, Reach, van Aken, Dave Jones etc we could have done a lot with Hillsborough but we just wasted it instead 

But we have sold the ground ,Surely our landlord job is to maintain the ground 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

The three things I flag are not major - I would like to think there is some scope for relatively minor improvements in the near future rather than waiting for a pot of gold to come over the rainbow! Come on Wednesday, we can do better!

Glad to see your positivity but number one is unfortunately major. As everyone who looks at OT on a regular basis knows, the North West Corner is out of commission untill a new gangway is built. 

For me number 1 is the abysmal floodlighting which has started to get to be a major problem at winter night games and i believe the club is sorting this summer.

Think the signage around the Kop could be spruced up.

And the mens toilets on the North would disgace the Azimov steelworks. 

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Repaint the Kop and North Stand exterior. 

Repaint top of Presto Stand. 

Flags back on the North Stand poles.  

All the things I would choose as well.

Surely we can have the flags back?

Looks great when they're up.

Still miffed that they removed the ones from Penistone Rd. Again, looked magnificent during the Euros.

I like flags.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Glad to see your positivity but number one is unfortunately major. As everyone who looks at OT on a regular basis knows, the North West Corner is out of commission untill a new gangway is built. 

For me number 1 is the abysmal floodlighting which has started to get to be a major problem at winter night games and i believe the club is sorting this summer.

Think the signage around the Kop could be spruced up.

And the mens toilets on the North would disgace the Azimov steelworks. 

Is that definitely the case re the NW corner and what exactly is the problem? I know there was an issue a fews years ago with entrances that was resolved and Wycombe subsequently sat in there. Is there a new issue?

1 minute ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Tell you what, it was a cracking idea to get The Sherlocks on at HT in the NW corner.

Doubt it would cost that much to set up a temp stage and make it a regular thing for local bands? 

Agreed!  big free space that to show case live acts bands, cars boats cuddly toys anything really.

Put summet on it!! 

2 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

That ship has sailed if you’re hoping for any Hillsborough ground improvements under DC.

With the money we spent on Rhodes, Abdi, Reach, van Aken, Dave Jones etc we could have done a lot with Hillsborough but we just wasted it instead 

Yeah because imagine at the time the owner had said , sorry no money for players we’re doing Hillsborough up instead …. There wouldn’t have been a single moan from the fanbase at all would they ? 

And yes, I’m aware the player signings didn’t work out, but is what it is