Training Ground - Multiple long term injuries

And yet several players manage to train there without problems.

Blimey Liam Palmer, our longest serving player has trained on it for 20 years or more and is never injured.

Also I note our neighbours are blaming their training ground for a spate of injuries.
The whole of Sheffield must be too hard underneath and too soft on top. 

• Like 1

Interesting, although they seem to get injured in games rather than on the training ground...  Which would suggest more of an issue with conditioning etc...  

I think DC has said before he would like us to move training grounds, so would make sense if that is the long term situation that he would not want to plough millions into changing the surface if there is other plans in place to move.

Only this year he said it...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/need-to-move-chansiri-on-owls-middlewood-road-training-ground-going-forward-3581427

Hopefully he is working hard to find us an alternative, especially if it is a highlighted problem..

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Well what an unexpected, but fabulous evening. Went to a pub for a pint and to watch Leeds get relegated in Borough Market and ended up spending the evening with Tony Pulis and Matt Lawton. They have just been working on this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tony-pulis-most-academy-kids-are-never-going-to-play-football-not-enough-is-done-for-them-rjz2n3z6t

Anyway, chatted all things Wednesday, as you would expect, without being a tedious ******** asking stupid questions. One thing to report is the pitches at the training ground. I asked him about our long running issue with injuries and he said it was crystal clear, it’s the pitches at the training ground. While the ground staff are great, the pitches need an absolute JCB taking to them. He said they are rock hard underneath with a loose, lush surface. What happens is when the players are running at speed and then try to stop, the top surface gives way and they end up with a multitude of muscle injuries. Said he had made this point clear to Channers from the off, but he wasn’t prepared to do anything because of the amount of money he had already spent, which he said several times was astonishing.

Anyway, the point is, our long list of inquiries is down to the playing surfaces at Middlewood. He was very clear on that.

And btw, what an absolutely top, top drawer smashing fella he is. Lovely human being, fab person to meet. So warm and genuine and grounded on proper values. A delight to spend a couple of hours with.

Just a few questions .

1. After just doing an interview. Matt and Tony went out for a pint together ?

2. You just popped in and they said "pls sit and talk football with us "?

3. Tony pulis said our injuries are based on players pulling muscles whilst they can't stop ?

4. Channers?

5. Tony pulis is a warm and genuine person ?

Sounds like this definitely happened 

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr Pullis is probably correct regarding the pitches, but during his short reign at the club the club didn’t conduct any pre season renovations on the pitches. This would have left them being unstable and dangerous to play on. 

The Chairman was aware of this from the beginning, but decided it was better to overrule the experts and not sanction the renovations. I’m sure he stated we didn’t have enough time, but that was utter nonsense and it was simply a cost cutting exercise which put the players safety at risk.

• Haha 2

I am sure if it was obviously the training pitches that were causing injuries the players would have said something by now.

I cant believe a player would be happy to train on a pitch if it was causing so many injuries and put they career at risk every time they went training.

• Like 1

It's years ago like, but my work experience from school was spent working with the ground staff at Hillsborough and Middlewood. 

They told me that the pitch at Hillsborough is always going to be worse than the training ground because it isn't a natural pitch. It's been put there when the stadium was built, so underneath the turf and drainage etc is the same as you'd find under the road outside. 

Whereas the training pitch was a field anyway that they've built facilities around. All they've done, over time, is change the type of grass that's grown on it to make it more hard wearing. 

No idea if this means owt from what you say Pulis told you, but that's what the groundsman, at the time, Steve Kiddy, told me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blatter said:

And yet several players manage to train there without problems.

Blimey Liam Palmer, our longest serving player has trained on it for 20 years or more and is never injured.

Also I note our neighbours are blaming their training ground for a spate of injuries.
The whole of Sheffield must be too hard underneath and too soft on top. 

What happens is when the players are running at speed and then try to stop, the top surface gives way and they end up with a multitude of muscle injuries. Palmer never injured you say uummm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

What happens is when the players are running at speed and then try to stop, the top surface gives way and they end up with a multitude of muscle injuries. Palmer never injured you say uummm. 

probably because he never runs just walks around aimlessly doing not much 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reggae said:

Just a few questions .

1. After just doing an interview. Matt and Tony went out for a pint together ?

2. You just popped in and they said "pls sit and talk football with us "?

3. Tony pulis said our injuries are based on players pulling muscles whilst they can't stop ?

4. Channers?

5. Tony pulis is a warm and genuine person ?

Sounds like this definitely happened 

🤣🤣🤣

I mean, when someone questions your in the know information, you don't like it.

Yet here you are, questioning someone else. Strong bit of irony there fella 

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, 0742 said:

I mean, when someone questions your in the know information, you don't like it.

Yet here you are, questioning someone else. Strong bit of irony there fella 

:duntmatter:

I just call a spade a spade. Don't be getting upset again. 

It's just an opinion. I didn't mean to offend you. 

10 hours ago, Pieman said:

And btw, what an absolutely top, top drawer smashing fella he is. Lovely human being, fab person to meet. So warm and genuine and grounded on proper values. A delight to spend a couple of hours with.

Did you ask him about the time he roped Barry Bannan into helping him commit fraud by deception at Crystal Palace? Lovely human being...