It's Wednesday

Time to move on and look forward to next season now, however that takes shape. I think we've seen enough from March onwards to show we should be able to compete for automatic spots next season, though I accept that depends who stays and who leaves.

It's time to look back and enjoy the good times we had this season and look forward to what's possible next season. 

Enjoy

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Think the difference next season could be the amount of new players needed. 

We already have a core to the team to build around, who know the style of play that Moore wants. It's not new to them, it should be second nature by now. A few additions in the summer and we can hopefully got the ground running and be promoted by Christmas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

Think the difference next season could be the amount of new players needed. 

We already have a core to the team to build around, who know the style of play that Moore wants. It's not new to them, it should be second nature by now. A few additions in the summer and we can hopefully got the ground running and be promoted by Christmas.

I think it was widely accepted our midfield three of Bannan, Luongo and Byers were the best in the division. Problem we only found that combination of players worked and were available from the beginning of this year. That's the core of the team for me. The question is, can we retain them and can they play a full season next year.

Edited by Revenant
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I think it was widely accepted our midfield three of Bannan, Luongo and Byers were the best in the division. Problem we only found that combination of players worked and were available from the beginning of this year. That's the core of the team for me. The question is, can we retain them and can they play a full season next year.

Think Bannan and Byers will be here next season, Luongo maybe not. Will be a shame to lose him though. Maybe FDB or Adeniran can step up to be the new Luongo though. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

Think Bannan and Byers will be here next season, Luongo maybe not. Will be a shame to lose him though. Maybe FDB or Adeniran can step up to be the new Luongo though. 

FDB and Adeniran offer an attacking threat from midfield also, both great players who will come back stronger next season.

I don't want to see Bannan sacrificed as a defensive midfielder next season though.

The midfield is the nucleus of the team for next season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Revenant said:

On their day they have been brilliant but couldn,t cope with Sunderland. Whether that was down to tactics are just an off day I don't know, but they were a long way behind Gregory who was isolated much of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, doubleo said:

On their day they have been brilliant but couldn,t cope with Sunderland. Whether that was down to tactics are just an off day I don't know, but they were a long way behind Gregory who was isolated much of the game.

I still put it down to tactics. It's been and gone now. It's out of our hands in any case. The strikers were isolated, because the midfield was isolated. Our wing backs, which were so prolific became fixed to a back five. Don't want to dwell on this really.

If we can play as well as we did in the last half of this season in both halfs of next season we don't have to worry about the lottery which is the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Revenant said:

I still put it down to tactics. It's been and gone now. It's out of our hands in any case. The strikers were isolated, because the midfield was isolated. Our wing backs, which were so prolific became fixed to a back five. Don't want to dwell on this really.

If we can play as well as we did in the last half of this season in both halfs of next season we don't have to worry about the lottery which is the playoffs.

That's true but once a manager exposes our weakness others learn from it and adopt the same tactic.We've lost alot of points this season when playing lower teams who are just dead stuborn. We have to find a way to play around it.

• Like 2

Guest Musttryharder
14 minutes ago, doubleo said:

That's true but once a manager exposes our weakness others learn from it and adopt the same tactic.We've lost alot of points this season when playing lower teams who are just dead stuborn. We have to find a way to play around it.

Do you think DM as the nous to outwit other teams in this division. Personally I don't think he as. Its clear as day against Sunderland there was no game plan. How can any decent manager manage without a game plan. Not acceptable unless he is prepared to change. 

51 minutes ago, Musttryharder said:

Do you think DM as the nous to outwit other teams in this division. Personally I don't think he as. Its clear as day against Sunderland there was no game plan. How can any decent manager manage without a game plan. Not acceptable unless he is prepared to change. 

I'm gutted about what happened on Monday, but dwelling on it doesn't change.

Let's just say I can't understand how the game plan was so negative, and he  didn't change it, but I will give DM credit for the team he built and the fact they got into the playoffs. I'll admit I had written DM off in September, but I was willing to wait and see how the following months unfolded. So he's clearly proved me wrong once.

A lot of it depends on Chansiri now, as I see it. If he wants to, and can afford to keep the spine of the team, then I can see him keeping DM. Of course if he can't afford to keep the spine of the team, then he might look to rebuild with a new manager. 

It's out of our hands in any case. You maybe right about Moore only having one plan, I just wished he had stuck with Plan A - 352 with attacking wingbacks and let the players use their nous (within reason)

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

Agree,but Sunderland overran us in both games,good management did us by Neil..

12 hours ago, Revenant said:
12 hours ago, Sambo89 said:

I think it was widely accepted our midfield three of Bannan, Luongo and Byers were the best in the division.

Is it widely accepted by others outside of Wednesday?

• Like 1

Yes, it was a good season, but we now need to kick on ready for next season by getting in some younger players with more pace and power. We were overrun by Sunderland in the play offs.

Time also for fringe players such as FDB and Brennan to step up to the plate 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Revenant said:

Only in Wednesday fans head 

Sunderlands made them look like league 2 players 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Is it widely accepted by others outside of Wednesday?

I am going on comments made by the Sky Sport Pundits for the away leg at Sunderland.

Clinton Morrison and David Prutton agreed (Its a 24 carrat gold fact)

lol  

• Thanks 1

Guest Musttryharder
22 hours ago, Revenant said:

I'm gutted about what happened on Monday, but dwelling on it doesn't change.

Let's just say I can't understand how the game plan was so negative, and he  didn't change it, but I will give DM credit for the team he built and the fact they got into the playoffs. I'll admit I had written DM off in September, but I was willing to wait and see how the following months unfolded. So he's clearly proved me wrong once.

A lot of it depends on Chansiri now, as I see it. If he wants to, and can afford to keep the spine of the team, then I can see him keeping DM. Of course if he can't afford to keep the spine of the team, then he might look to rebuild with a new manager. 

It's out of our hands in any case. You maybe right about Moore only having one plan, I just wished he had stuck with Plan A - 352 with attacking wingbacks and let the players use their nous (within reason)

Thats the gauling thing about this season. He had the tools just didnt know how to use them. I certainly dont want another season like that. Ok it was good second half of the season but one half that doesnt get you anywhere.

Its been a better than expected season given the state the club was in July, wouldnt call it good, its culminated in a play off semi that we lost in injury time on our own turf due to unforced errors, weve learned we cant defend set pieces and yet most of the fanbase want to keep the same defenders AND the keeper.

Gregory and Byers have gone WAY beyond my expectation, Bannan has been superb even scoring goals with precise placed pass shots, Jack Hunt re surfaced and at times made a huge contribution, Marvin Johnson grew into a LWB role after a very iffy start ran out of steam for the run in though and Palmer gave us versatility with his steady and times above average contributions willing as ever but limited by his ability, even Berahino won me over, eventually, took time but he looked a genuine goal threat toward the end of the campaign and was left out of the play off semi for no good reason.

The rest, made contributions at times, way too many individual errors, that cost us points that would have made a difference, in a cut throat industry theres no room for sentiment,average isnt good enough, standards need to be high and those that cant cut it need to be gone, we need to raise the bar every season and find those with a capability to rise up to the challenge.

• Like 1

I read many comments on here about tactics.

They seem to imply that we should win every game if the correct tactics are employed. 

Well, what a load of b****x. They make no account of how well the opposition plays and are generally made with the benefit of hindsight. 

• Like 2