Who’s going, Hunt or Byers?

13 hours ago, unkastav said:

We wont get better than Hunty in our position. He loves it here. No brainer

I'm in thinking though we need to look forward and both hunt and Palmer arnt the future to come. 

For me we need to let one go (prefer it to be Palmer for a bit of a feee) allowing us to get in a young quick lad. This would give us the option of youth and pace with an experienced solid right wing back. 

13 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Hopefully were one of the clubs in for Kane Wilson @ forest green, a few clubs tracking him including a few championship clubs, ex westbrom youth put in some eye catching performances this season.

Going to watford apparently

Hunt has been one of the consistent performers this season for me.

At this level he is quality. Surely we can't be letting him go unless we have a really good option going forward or its down to the contract.

Wingers don't work at wingback IMO, NML & Harris have proven that.

Decided to take a look at out of contract RB that are semi realistic from the Champ 

Tommy Smith (30) - Experienced pro, played 32 games this season for Stoke in the Champ, 1 goal and 6 assists, similar mould to Hunt, apparently on big money at Stoke.

Nathan Byrne (29)- Probably gets a Championship club and it would be ambitious, Similar level to Hunt and only 2 years younger.
Josh Emmanuel (24) - Not seen much of him, Hardly played this season, had spells at Bolton & Rotherham, Hull have the option of another year on his contract.
Peter Kioso (22) Started this season on loan at MK, played 18 times, scoring 3 and assisting 4 times, got recalled by Luton in Jan and has since played 16 games, Unsure if it'd be possible, but interesting stats.

Some other potential players out of contract from the EFL and some complete obscure players i've not seen but have interesting stats:

Kane Wilson (22)  - Everyone knows about him, outstanding season at FGR and unreal numbers, 45 games 4 goals 14 assists, Knows Moore from his time at WBA, very ambitious will probably end in the Champ, Birmingham, Forest & Watford are the early names mentioned.

Corey O'Keeffe (23) - Unkown to me, had a season at Rochdale after being with Birmingham Solihull Moors and Mansfield,  43 games 2 goals and 9 assists. Represented ROI from under 16's to 21's.

Robbie McKenzie (23) - former Hull player relegated with Gillingham this season, 3 goals and 3 assists to his name, looks like he can play across the back, likely to turn down a new deal much like Jack Tucker.

Mandela Egbo (24) - Know nothing about this guy, seems to have decent pedigree Was at Crystal Palace academy however moved to Germany to play for Borussia Mönchengladbach then onto SV Darmstadt, New York Red Bulls and finally to Swindon Town where he has played 9 games for them and got 3 assists also represented England from Under 16's-18's could be totally Shybo but interesting career path and stats at Swindon.

They're just some free options across the EFL, who knows what market we will be shopping in this summer PL23's or abroad could be a option.

I think it will be hard to replace Hunt unless we get Byrne which is unlikely or Kane Wilson who had a exceptional year at FGR but again probably out of reach, Tommy Smith could be a option but we wouldn't be gaining much on lowering the age or wage on Hunt.

Hopefully Hunt stays.

• Like 2

I think a lot of our improvement is down to Byers. He came in and slotted seamlessly into that midfield. Bannan Luongo and Byers were about as good as it gets in L1.

I expect Luongo will be on his way, shame because I think he is quality, Byers I hope stays. Bannan looks like he intends to stay.

Hunt has been quality goiung forward so I'd give him another year if the wages are ok.

Having said that all players are replaceable if someone better is available at a reasonable wage. I just don't want too many changes because anothher half season of gelling could prove costly. Keep our best players, improve where we can and hit the ground running.

4 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

What wingback are we getting in League 1 whos better than Jack Hunt though? 

If there's a wing back whos better than hunt, with pace who puts a ball on a 50p piece available....Hes not signing for us is he.

Cant give you names, cos i dont know. However, thats not to say we should just settle for keeping Hunt.

I dont dislike Hunt, but id rather us look at wingbacks that can (more consistently than Hunt) get the ball into the danger area and one who is comfy and able to take on a man, rather than stopping and looking to pass inside when they get the ball out wide. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

Cant give you names, cos i dont know. However, thats not to say we should just settle for keeping Hunt.

I dont dislike Hunt, but id rather us look at wingbacks that can (more consistently than Hunt) get the ball into the danger area and one who is comfy and able to take on a man, rather than stopping and looking to pass inside when they get the ball out wide. 

From what i can see looking at the statistics, there wasnt a right wing back/ right back who got more assists than Hunt in league one this season with 6? 

Unless theres anyone im missing.  

5 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

From what i can see looking at the statistics, there wasnt a right wing back/ right back who got more assists than Hunt in league one this season with 6? 

Unless theres anyone im missing.  

Assist stats dont always tell the whole truth though. They could all be hoofed clearances that led to goals, or flick ons from corners ect. Just as examples.

According to the stats, Hunt only gets an average of 0.3 completed dribbles per game and makes an average of only 1.3 crosses per game in the league. Now i know stats arent everything, but it defo sounds like more output from that role could really be helpful. 

13 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

Assist stats dont always tell the whole truth though. They could all be hoofed clearances that led to goals, or flick ons from corners ect. Just as examples.

According to the stats, Hunt only gets an average of 0.3 completed dribbles per game and makes an average of only 1.3 crosses per game in the league. Now i know stats arent everything, but it defo sounds like more output from that role could really be helpful. 

But in Hunt's case, we do know a majority of Hunts assists were crosses to their intended target from watching those games. 

16 hours ago, MKK said:

I know Josh Falkington (at Harrogate) whose best pals with Jack. He said he (Jack) wasn't happy at the start of the year but is now.

Likes Wednesday as he lives in Leeds.

He was training at Harrogate before he joined us and they'd love him there but the standard is poor.

Not surprised as we should have got far more out of the first few months of the season, it was very disjointed and Hunt was messed around a bit. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

But in Hunt's case, we do know a majority of Hunts assists were crosses to their intended target from watching those games. 

1 corner

2 forward balls to feet from midfield.

2 recycled crosses.

1 cross to feet on a break.

So 1/2 were crosses.

Only 1 assist from him advancing up the wing.