We have one Team already

Trying to be positive after the huge disappointment of Monday night I do feel we are perhaps in a slighly stronger position than we were this time last year.

If I am correct the following players are contracted to the club next season.

We all witnessed how we have been ravaged by injuries in recent years so now we need to recruit another team of players in addition to hopefully make us stronger and more capable of going for the two automatic promotion slots:

Dawson

Palmer

Iorfa

Hutch

Brennan

Johnson

FDB

Byers

Bannan

Windass

Gregory

The key to the automatic places will be to not just add quantity but some real extra quality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Trying to be positive after the huge disappointment of Monday night I do feel we are perhaps in a slighly stronger position than we were this time last year.

We all witnessed how we have been ravaged by injuries in recent years so now we need to recruit another team of players in addition to hopefully make us stronger and more capable of going for the two automatic promotion slots:

Dawson

Palmer

Iorfa

Hutch

Brennan

Johnson

FDB

Byers

Bannan

Windass

Gregory

The key to the automatic places will be to not just add quantity but some real extra quality.

Easy to forget Dennis Adeniran contracted to June 2023 too. Time he fulfilled his promise

58 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Dawson

Palmer

Iorfa

Hutch

Brennan

Johnson

FDB

Byers

Bannan

Windass

Gregory

If we can hold onto all of those players I reckon we will have a good shot at promotion next season, regardless of who we bring in.

Like, even if we end up only bringing in players for the bench & squad depth, if the above starting XI can mostly stay fit all season then that is already a very good starting line-up for league one. If it were up to me I would look to bring in squad depth in the form of exciting but unproven youngsters from lower leagues. Give them playing time off the bench or when the starters need resting or are injured, and if any of the younguns are impressing then the spot is theirs to lose.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty positive overall and looking forward to seeing who we bring in. Last summer seemed to be a corner turned in terms of recruiting and let's hope it's more of the same this summer.

• Like 1

According to The Star just yesterday, Paterson, Hunt and Berahino all have one year extension options on their contracts so the club could retain them if they wanted without them exploring the market. Hutchinson is one of those without a new deal in place at the moment so should come off the list.

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

This summer we probably need 8-10 players. Half of them for the first team team. 

I don’t think we’ll add that many personally,  we need to get away from huge summer overhauls 

It killed us for first half of this season, Ipswich fetched loads in and have also struggled all season 

Quality over quantity is required this summer,  2 centre half’s 2 strikers and maybe a wide attacker for me , depending on what system he wants to play possibly look at a full back 

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

According to The Star just yesterday, Paterson, Hunt and Berahino all have one year extension options on their contracts so the club could retain them if they wanted without them exploring the market. Hutchinson is one of those without a new deal in place at the moment so should come off the list.

This is interesting, honestly I'd be tempted to keep all 3. Might not be starting every game but they've all had their moments this season and could be really useful squad players.

Just now, royalowlisback said:

Hope so.

I've now just found another source from last September (which includes quotes from Hutchinson himself) suggesting that reports of his contract extension were not accurate. So it looks like The Star have got it right after all.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sam-hutchinson-sheffield-wednesday-contract-21524357

Interestingly Darren Purse was mentioned in another thread today and in some ways our situation mirrors that summer under Brian Laws  when he brought in Purse, O'Connor and Potter after the team had had a resonable season.

Someone on here referred to them as the "Cream of the Crap".

I really feel that this summer is abouit adding some extra quality if in perhaps just a few positions to make the team stronger.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Dawson

Palmer

Iorfa

Hutch

Brennan

Johnson

FDB

Byers

Bannan

Windass

Gregory

We were 2 wins off getting automatic promotion, I dont think we need to reinvent the wheel we just need to cut out the sloppy last minute goals and stop drawing to many games against weaker teams.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I don’t think we’ll add that many personally,  we need to get away from huge summer overhauls 

It killed us for first half of this season, Ipswich fetched loads in and have also struggled all season 

Quality over quantity is required this summer,  2 centre half’s 2 strikers and maybe a wide attacker for me , depending on what system he wants to play possibly look at a full back 

I think only 1 season since 2015 have we signed fewer than 10 players on full signing and loans throughout the season, this level of changed every year means we are taking 10-15 games into a season to get a formation, players and system that fits.

if DM sticks with the 3-5-2 we need a decent keeper, a few central defenders, a couple of wing backs (not full back or wingers), another striker or two.

of course this all depends who get retained.

Need a left back then we could switch to 4.4.2 for games when we’re struggling in midfield 

BPF

Storey Dean Hutch 

Hunt Byers Luongo Baz Johnson 

gregory Windass 

hook Storey and Byers for Parmer and the new left back and push both full backs up, gives Hunt and Johnson help and pushes the opponent’s back

BPF

Hutch          Dean

parmer                                          new L back

Hunt        Luongo        Baz             Johnson 

Gregory        Windass 

Yes I know some of this lot won’t be here and yes I know we may have new players, just using names as an example. And it would give us an instant plan B