The dust has settled

3 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Dust settled... And we failed miserably given our squad and budget. Some see a play off semi capitulation a success still lol

After walking out after the Hartlepool cup match it was a miracle not Just a success 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GermanBird said:

To be honest, "success" is not my reason why I watch football. 

For me football is about the joy to see 11 players work as a team, about the excitement when we score a goal, 

the nervous tension when we are only one goal ahead, the atmosphere in the stadium, the happyness when we win.

Success is something I aim for in my real live;  Wednesday is something to distract me (and ruin or make my weekends).

Not been so successful then this season lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

I don't see it as success but from where we were to how we finished I've been relatively happy this season. I guess wednesday aren't the be all and end all for me. I've got other things going on that are more important. Does the fact we are out suck, yeah, of course but poo happens. we have no god given right to be in the PL or Champ, needs to be earned. 

They're not for me either, but I do recognise when we dont do so well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Not been so successful then this season 

Very successful from my point of view.  I've got joy, thrill, excitement, distraction and had a really good time.

Not successful at all, if silverware and promotions are your measurement. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, GermanBird said:

Very successful from my point of view.  I've got joy, thrill, excitement, distraction and had a really good time.

Not successful at all, if silverware and promotions are your measurement. 

There has to be progression in a area that resets itself every year. See the bigger picture, than just one season.

Right now. We have achieved nothing. We have zero points. No success. Just another start in the third division. WIth a possible two league gap with our city rivals. Accounts that are millions and millions in debt. We don't own our ground and many fans are still owed money. Our wage bill is horrendous for this league and there is nothing coming out of the club. That's where we are right now.

So exciting, isn't it ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd say it was a successful season.  Why ?  

Didn't get relegated, which would have ( I think ) made history, don't think Wednesday has ever been in the 4th Tier.

Didn't go into Administration, which was a possibility.

Did not lose many games, at least made the Playoffs, and came on so strong after Christmas.  In a half-Season Wednesday accomplished more than most  did in an entire Season,  had to use the first half of the Season to figure out how all the Player-combinations / permutations looked,  and this resulted in mostly draws, but few losses.  

• Like 3

On 11/05/2022 at 10:36, victorturner said:

Thanks for the thoughts. The dust is still swirling around and if you saw the match you will know we failed our final exam. There have to be lessons and they may be painful.

We have a very large squad which financially may be trimmed next season  while this season,  despite all the talk of injuries ( Windass and a couple of the cb’s were serious losses) the manager often had to choose between players expecting to be picked especially at the business end , and  next season his loan players , very shrewdly acquired in more than half the cases, may not all return.

Our local neighbours, Rotherham, in the meantime got automatic promotion! Even  after our acquiring one of their key loan players from the previous season in Lewis Wing.  
That does make us think. 

The majority of the Rotherham squad has been together for the last 3 seasons, I expected them to go up, this season because of the fact that the squad knew what was needed to get promoted from this division, as do Wycombe.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

I'd say it was a successful season.  Why ?  

Didn't get relegated, which would have ( I think ) made history, don't think Wednesday has ever been in the 4th Tier.

Didn't go into Administration, which was a possibility.

Did not lose many games, at least made the Playoffs, and came on so strong after Christmas.  In a half-Season Wednesday accomplished more than most  did in an entire Season,  had to use the first half of the Season to figure out how all the Player-combinations / permutations looked,  and this resulted in mostly draws, but few losses.  

Agree + we are out of FFP.

We exceeded my prediction of finishing between 7th and 10th for this season.

Hopefully, recruit better players (Thank's to being out of FFP), and avoid the injuries we had last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/05/2022 at 15:40, victorturner said:

Play offs are a lottery as you imply.

We failed our biggest test and I am not consoled by scintillating football and thumping wins vs Cambridge and Burton. We had to get by Sunderland because a tasty prospect of WW at Wembley would have been a golden chance to be promoted. 
We did not play well and we made several horrible mistakes on the field, in  making substitution and in selection. Being still disappointed and not taking DM’s salve of talking to our loved ones does not help some of us forget this serious failure. An inquest from fans at least is normal.

I think you need some counselling.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The real disappointment is that our tactics and performance were not what we are capable of. Where was the team that beat Portsmouth 4-1?

In recent years, we didn’t really turn up at Wembley against Hull in 2016, then in the 2017 semi-finals against Huddersfield and now in the semi-finals against Sunderland. Defeat would have been more acceptable if we had clearly gone for it; but did we? And if we didn’t, why not. 

On 11/05/2022 at 11:53, markowl said:

We got 85 points this season.

I don't recall us losing match after match.

We should have had more.
How many games did we give up a lead to draw or lose.
85 points means nothing at the end of the day, we are still a division one team

On 12/05/2022 at 22:06, Cypriot Owl said:

We should have had more.
How many games did we give up a lead to draw or lose.
85 points means nothing at the end of the day, we are still a division one team

Agree, And what’s more, if I need counselling as someone on here suggests, I would require less counselling if I had been following Rotherham. While we are pleased by our season ( some of us have some slight reservations) , what about how well less well resourced  Rotherham did? Now they did have a season to be proud of.