The dust has settled

I used to prefer Bristol Rovers over City, mostly because they were the ‘smaller club’ and that they wore blue and white.

Unfortunately that ended when Joey Barton took charge! 

Besides that, Nigel Pearson of course was a superb captain for us. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts. The dust is still swirling around and if you saw the match you will know we failed our final exam. There have to be lessons and they may be painful.

We have a very large squad which financially may be trimmed next season  while this season,  despite all the talk of injuries ( Windass and a couple of the cb’s were serious losses) the manager often had to choose between players expecting to be picked especially at the business end , and  next season his loan players , very shrewdly acquired in more than half the cases, may not all return.

Our local neighbours, Rotherham, in the meantime got automatic promotion! Even  after our acquiring one of their key loan players from the previous season in Lewis Wing.  
That does make us think. 

Sheffield Wednesday have no right to be any higher than they are but its still a bit embarrassing to be in League 1.

I enjoyed playing a lot of different sides this season and I guess people who go away enjoyed going to different places (Especially after Covid).

But going to be a grind now that it's not a novelty playing clubs like Cambridge, Gillingham and Oxford.

If we are winning its not really a hardship but if we are not in good form those mid week games in Winter against Fleetwood and Burton Albion are going to be hard work to watch.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sheffield Wednesday have no right to be any higher than they are but its still a bit embarrassing to be in League 1.

I enjoyed playing a lot of different sides this season and I guess people who go away enjoyed going to different places (Especially after Covid).

But going to be a grind now that it's not a novelty playing clubs like Cambridge, Gillingham and Oxford.

If we are winning its not really a hardship but if we are not in good form those mid week games in Winter against Fleetwood and Burton Albion are going to be hard work to watch.

For me it doesn't matter who we are playing. If we play awful and losing match after match then its always hard work no matter who we play. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

If we play awful and losing match after match then its always hard work no matter who we play. 

We got 85 points this season.

I don't recall us losing match after match.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mozzy85 said:

For me it doesn't matter who we are playing. If we play awful and losing match after match then its always hard work no matter who we play. 

I know what you mean, its never pleasant to see us lose but think it's more palatable when it's against a bigger club.
Going out to say Wycombe in the play offs would have been harder to take than Sunderland as they are a big established club with some heritage behind them. If that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

This is very true. 

Those last couple of seasons in the Champ before the inevitable drop were just awful. 

Boring, sh*t football. 

3 minutes ago, markowl said:

We got 85 points this season.

I don't recall us losing match after match.

You need to read the quote mate. I wasn't talking bout this season, I was talking about watching wednesday in general. I think we've done really well this season and I'm happt to keep DM and see what he can do with another transfer window and some funds this time round. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know what you mean, its never pleasant to see us lose but think it's more palatable when it's against a bigger club.
Going out to say Wycombe in the play offs would have been harder to take than Sunderland as they are a big established club with some heritage behind them. If that makes sense.

Get where your coming from but not for me. If I see us getting done by Wycombe or by Man City its no different. I ain't gonna sit their and enjoy it really. I just wanna see entertaining football and hard work with some measured success. I not expecting trophies or even promotion to the PL anymore, just getting outta this league while enjoying the football being played would be great. Lets see what next season brings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

Get where your coming from but not for me. If I see us getting done by Wycombe or by Man City its no different. I ain't gonna sit their and enjoy it really. I just wanna see entertaining football and hard work with some measured success. I not expecting trophies or even promotion to the PL anymore, just getting outta this league while enjoying the football being played would be great. Lets see what next season brings.

This is part of the reason I want to give Moore another crack. 

I've enjoyed the football (for the most part), certainly from around November onwards. 

We didn't bore our way to fourth. We played a lot of front foot, attacking football. It was good to watch, when it worked. Admittedly, we may need to find a way to grind and battle it out a bit more next season, whilst still maintaining those attacking principles. 

• Like 4

It’s been an enjoyable season, even though we fell short in the end, with some good entertaining and attacking football, particularly in the second half of the season. The wins over MK Dons and Portsmouth were particularly memorable.

I don’t want us to be a yo-yo club like Rotherham. Hopefully DM will be supported and given the financial backing, not only to get us up automatically, but also to build a team with some promising youngsters that can  go on to be an established force in the Championship 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

This is part of the reason I want to give Moore another crack. 

I've enjoyed the football (for the most part), certainly from around November onwards. 

We didn't bore our way to fourth. We played a lot of front foot, attacking football. It was good to watch, when it worked. Admittedly, we may need to find a way to grind and battle it out a bit more next season, whilst still maintaining those attacking principles. 

Exacty, some of the football has been lovely and also some of the indivisual goals have been cracking. If we can add some more defensive solidity and have a fall back plan/formation for when the 352 isn't working then I can't see why we can't have another good season. Depending on recruitment you'd like to hope we can go one further and secure an auto spot. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Dust settled... And we failed miserably given our squad and budget. Some see a play off semi capitulation a success still lol

I don't see it as success but from where we were to how we finished I've been relatively happy this season. I guess wednesday aren't the be all and end all for me. I've got other things going on that are more important. Does the fact we are out suck, yeah, of course but poo happens. we have no god given right to be in the PL or Champ, needs to be earned. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Dust settled... And we failed miserably given our squad and budget. Some see a play off semi capitulation a success still lol

To be honest, "success" is not my reason why I watch football. 

For me football is about the joy to see 11 players work as a team, about the excitement when we score a goal, 

the nervous tension when we are only one goal ahead, the atmosphere in the stadium, the happyness when we win.

Success is something I aim for in my real live;  Wednesday is something to distract me (and ruin or make my weekends).

• Like 3
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Taz said:

im not watching unless we're pushing for automatic next season 

Play offs are a lottery as you imply.

We failed our biggest test and I am not consoled by scintillating football and thumping wins vs Cambridge and Burton. We had to get by Sunderland because a tasty prospect of WW at Wembley would have been a golden chance to be promoted. 
We did not play well and we made several horrible mistakes on the field, in  making substitution and in selection. Being still disappointed and not taking DM’s salve of talking to our loved ones does not help some of us forget this serious failure. An inquest from fans at least is normal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1