Flint, Dean and Madine

14 hours ago, morganowl said:

flint is ageing injury prone washed up . will we ever learn?

He's played 38 games this season. I wouldn't call that injury prone.

32 isn't that old and washed up? Have you watched him? He'd be an excellent signing for a League One side.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sammo said:

Think a lot of people are completely ignoring the acrimony surrounding George Hirst's departure.

He's never coming anyway near us - at least not under this regime

Yep. 

Can you imagine DC playing a loan fee for Hirst after the scam Leicester pulled by getting their Belgian sister club to sign him to avoid paying us compensation. 

• Like 2

On 10/05/2022 at 22:01, CourteenerOwl said:

Yeah Oliver, Andy Carroll, Madine....all do the job I think we need someone to do for us. Just this type of striker we need that option next season.

Signing this type of player is the reason we're in this mess.

13 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Dean yes, Madine no, Flint not sure he is mobile enough.

Need younger players we can develop!

Flint's just started 38 games for Cardiff in the Championship at 32 years old. 6 goals. 

Dean Lewington has just played 46 out of 46 games for MK Dons (who finished 3rd in League 1) at 37 years old. 0 goals.

I don't really think Flint would struggle in league 1 to be honest. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 21:51, CourteenerOwl said:

Ultimately it was dropped points that cost us this season. 2-0 up at Wimbledon and cruising, Winning away at Cheltenham, Bolton away. If we saw even just those three games out (there were many more), we would have gone up automatically. Most of the goals conceded were from corners as we know or crosses at the very least. 

When we were last promoted from this league finishing second we had players who attacked the ball without fear and who were imposing - Llera, Batth, Reda, Jones etc. We lacked this during our spell of handing points away at the last minute until Storey and Dean signed.

We need to sign a mixture of these types of players and then add three of four youngsters with pace and unpredictability. Mostly in attack - replace majority of our slow strikers with faster, younger ones.

Flint or Dean or both would be excellent on one year deals at this level.

People won't like it but we need a Madine type striker. Madine is better then Patterson at hold up play and heading and would be a massive improvement on Patterson. Even as pure plan B he would be worth signing. He has evolved into a pretty decent target man.

So three or four hardened experienced players who will put themselves about and be useful in the air and then it's crucial we sign young players for the wing back and forward areas.  

We are a Dad's Army atm and we need an influx of youth - mainly in the attacking areas - so we can counter quicker and become more unpredictable.

UTO.

Marine won't come back to Hillsborough. 

Could there be an option in Owlstalk to filter out posts or threads from people who only ever want to sign former players or loanees? Generally this seems to arise from a parochial lack of awareness of there being thousands of other players out there who might have something to offer.

Indeed a lot of the disappointment Wednesdayites felt in the last nine months was not from the quality of our own squad but the complete ******** shock that other clubs had decent squads too even though for the most part they were players they hadn't heard of.

Madine would be perfect let's be fair. Paterson is a decent player but the fact he isn't a natural in any position is a slight hinderance, he doesn't have that instinct that a natural out and out striker has. Madine is out of contract isn't he, he'd bang in 15+ in league 1 and he's only 31 which isn't any age for a league 1 striker. 

Was looking who else is out of contract in the championship, big Lukas Jutkiewicz is out of contract but 33 years old, not sure if his best days are behind him but we was interested not long back wasn't we. Chris Martin is also 33, but he's had a good season at Bristol so probably got another year or two in the championship. Tom Bradshaw would be interesting at Millwall but again, probably wouldn't drop just yet.

With Dean and Storey going back to parent clubs i expect a few centre backs, Michael Hector is out of contract and will 100% get released, not sure he'd tempt a championship club either after barely playing all season. James Chester got released from Stoke, Flint is out of contract too, Michael Morrison went on to have a decent career after leaving us. Definitely will need a couple of experienced heads at the back anyway.

3 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

And not the FFP and Chairman.....it's because we signed committed experienced players.

Valid point but we now have the opportunity to move away from signing journeymen, crocks and left on the shelf type players.

OK we need a balance with some experience and only hope DM gets the blend right.

On 10/05/2022 at 22:08, Hughdowd said:

Omar niasse left burton 

was a right handful against us at Hillsboro 

him and Gregory upfront 

🤣 Oumar Niasse, the striker who once cost Everton £13.5million and was training with a 10th tier non-league side before burton albion took a gamble on him ... scored his first goal in wasn't it 2 years against us ... spurned him on so much he managed to bag 3 in total for Burton Albion..

32 year old has been ... I think we need to set our sights a little higher than this flop! 🤦🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

I saw Madine at Blackpool this season, asked if he misses the Wednesday. His response "I miss the night out".

I spoke to him recently too, he loves sheffield but would not come back because of the rivalry between clubs, ends up getting him in bother.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Flint's just started 38 games for Cardiff in the Championship at 32 years old. 6 goals. 

Dean Lewington has just played 46 out of 46 games for MK Dons (who finished 3rd in League 1) at 37 years old. 0 goals.

TBF, he did assist the goal of the season.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I think they'd be good players, just think we should go for younger players that we can develop.

Either good enough to take us up to championship and develop enough to give us a strong core to the side that can be competitive in the championship.